Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Cross mounted battery options and issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2015, 01:22 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Cross mounted battery options and issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4tn View Post
I would like to hear more about this and how to get a bracket made like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure, you can check it out here: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/knightcustoms

Parts are printed to order, so it takes about 1-2 weeks to make and ship once ordered, price $12.99.

I hope the helps?

James.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Toykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2015, 03:57 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopmojim View Post
I'm using the Howler Customs battery plate with 1.9 tires and wheels with stock steering and a huge 5000 mah 2 cell. I have no issues with binding or rubbing the tires against he battery plate.

I could have made the battery plate myself, but 20 bucks shipped with all the kinks worked out and a nice factory stamped look made it a no brainer for me. The only issue I see is that I will need special tabs added to metal sliders so I can still use the mounting holes the stock sliders provide.

Here's a couple of pics to show battery placement.

Here's a shot to show the angle of the battery on the bracket. It's not all the way down, providing a bit of space for the tires.

This is where it mounts in the front. It uses the same two holes that hold the receiver box in place. The spacers are the same used in the forward battery mod.

Here I've turned the front wheel in all the way. Even with the MT Baja Claws TTC tires, which are the same height as stock tires but much wider, there is plenty of room between the tire and the battery plate.

That's the cleanest best tire clearance, great price, looking cross chassis battery mount plate that I've seen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoCrawler View Post
...alternative

and the lowest possible COG

saddles made from scrap 1/8" lexan sheet
lexan heated, ends angled upwards slightly
Then mounted directly atop the stock slider using original screw holes/mounts.
Counter sunk the screw heads into the lexan saddles,
I used slightly longer machined screw with a nylock nut.
velcro buckle straps secure the batteries to the saddles.

dual 3S 2200's connect using parallel harness (harness mia)

also did this with my homebuilt sliders...
even manage to run a dinky interior on my honcho
and clears my 2200's... but just barely.
Another nice option and very cleanly done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toykid View Post
Here is how I have done it. I made a simple mount that used the stock tray parts and positions the battery as low as possible behind the front fenders. I just fitted it tonight and will be giving it, it's first test tomorrow out at Vasquez Rocks.

Very nice and clean too, only part I'd skip the plastic outline piece and bolt the battery plate straight to your plastic peice with countersunk screws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmf View Post

If I didn't have so many beers that night, it would have taken under an hour to make the plate. I used 20g duct sheet metal, made two holes with a tab to mount on the cross brace, used the 2 servo mounts in the spare parts. I still have to trim off the excess, but it cost nothing to do.
I made a tray from aluminum and mounted it much like this, but mine is only as wide as the outside of my chassis rails. I get lots of steering and running stock shocks with rubber bumpstops removed almost every battery larger than 2200mah 3s1p will rub at full lock turn and bump compression.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:52 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post

I made a tray from aluminum and mounted it much like this, but mine is only as wide as the outside of my chassis rails. I get lots of steering and running stock shocks with rubber bumpstops removed almost every battery larger than 2200mah 3s1p will rub at full lock turn and bump compression.
I have no tire rub at any steering angle/suspension travel combination. I checked several times, even with a 5000mah 3s.
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote

Cross mounted battery options and issues - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gelande chassis issues & upgrade options DRW-FJ40 1.9 Scale Rigs 21 08-21-2015 11:07 PM
Wiring options for body mounted lights? SCX10Dingo Axial SCX-10 9 02-28-2014 04:22 PM
Axle mounted battery DADSanRCjunkie HPI Wheely King 9 12-31-2013 08:32 AM
Axle mounted battery options cytogen G-Made Crawlers 3 02-11-2013 01:29 AM
Battery tray & battery options? Mysterious Axial XR10 10 02-18-2012 01:13 PM