Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Single stage foams on a lighter rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2015, 10:55 PM   #1

Default Single stage foams on a lighter rig

Has anybody run the crawler innovations deuces wild rock beast foam on a truck that weighs less than 7 pounds?
visceral is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2015, 02:15 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Single stage foams on a lighter rig

Affirmative. If I remember correctly this truck was about 6.5lbs RTR and ran DW foams. Tires were well broken in by the time I put the foams in and really liked the performance and stability.

It might not work for all lightweight rigs and setups but it happened to work really well in this one
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:04 PM   #3

my rig is 6.75 lbs and I have them in my rock beast and drove them around for about 2 hours this Sunday for the first time with new tires and foams and it took a bit of getting used to the harder foam but I will say I was happy with the way the handled especially on a side incline were the tire stayed straight and did not roll to the side. there was always good tread on surface and in most cases all i needed to do was slow my tires down to regain traction.
TheOne420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne420 View Post
my rig is 6.75 lbs and I have them in my rock beast and drove them around for about 2 hours this Sunday for the first time with new tires and foams and it took a bit of getting used to the harder foam but I will say I was happy with the way the handled especially on a side incline were the tire stayed straight and did not roll to the side. there was always good tread on surface and in most cases all i needed to do was slow my tires down to regain traction.

Did you find any situations where they didn't perform as well?
visceral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:51 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by visceral View Post
Has anybody run the crawler innovations deuces wild rock beast foam on a truck that weighs less than 7 pounds?
I was intrigued by this setup, so I hollered at Eddie from CI.

With those tires and general all around use and a light rig, he said to just put the DW's in and run them. Good setup.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Did you find any situations where they didn't perform as well?
In a steep incline with loose dry dirt it would spin the tires more than it used to with memory foams. but after getting used to the hard tires I found ways to make them perform just as well. just needed to slow down a little and it really helped the performance in loose situations. im a bit of a noob to crawling but have been in rc for about 25 years.
TheOne420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:41 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
In a steep incline with loose dry dirt it would spin the tires more than it used to with memory foams. but after getting used to the hard tires I found ways to make them perform just as well. just needed to slow down a little and it really helped the performance in loose situations. im a bit of a noob to crawling but have been in rc for about 25 years.
Exactly! A sub 7lb rig and the width of the RBs shouldn't have too much trouble doing most hill climbs. A light to moderate, but steady throttle application works best...use the light weight to your advantage and let the lugs on the tires do their thing. The rig I posted a few replys ago did very well on dirt and sand hill climbs.
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:38 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I have deuces wilds in the rear with pieces of the center ribs dremeled away and Lil Nova soft in the front. Stability on side hills is much improved. Climbing is about the same as with open cell. Undecided whether Lil Nova Mediums in the rear would have been better.
scaled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:21 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottorque View Post
Affirmative. If I remember correctly this truck was about 6.5lbs RTR and ran DW foams. Tires were well broken in by the time I put the foams in and really liked the performance and stability.

It might not work for all lightweight rigs and setups but it happened to work really well in this one
x2, that is similar to my experience with my Honcho that weighs a little under 6 lbs, put the DW foams in, drive it, get used to the difference, they will break-in the more you drive it too. I'm happy with mine and I've run CI dual stage foams too, prefer the DWs.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottorque View Post
Exactly! A sub 7lb rig and the width of the RBs shouldn't have too much trouble doing most hill climbs. A light to moderate, but steady throttle application works best...use the light weight to your advantage and let the lugs on the tires do their thing. The rig I posted a few replys ago did very well on dirt and sand hill climbs.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Single stage foams on a lighter rig - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Double Deuce, Lil Nova, Deuce's Wild, Dual or Single Stage...What foams do I need?!?! Nova's Ark Crawler Innovations 4 03-14-2017 04:23 PM
Crawler Innovations 2.2 Deuce's Wild Single Stage Scaler and Comp Foams Szczerba Tires and Wheels 22 03-05-2017 10:23 AM
CI single stage 2.2 tall foams tacocat Tires and Wheels 2 01-27-2015 08:35 PM
Pit Bull Rock Beast II 1.9 - single or dual stage foams? ik632 Tires and Wheels 7 01-01-2014 03:12 PM
--- C.I.'s Single Stage Double Deuce Foams --- Nova's Ark Crawler Innovations 7 03-01-2012 10:32 AM