Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Mini Titan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2015, 09:00 PM   #1

Default Mini Titan

ok - this is my first body, paint, cutting, mounting new body, etc.. ever -- so go easy on me... I've only received my Honcho about 3 weeks ago and from day 1 I have wanted to turn it into my Titan.

First mistake - I Did not research anything.. I painted the outside... I had no idea about the liquid masking stuff until a friend laughed at me.. and the fact that ur supposed to paint the inside

I cut the truck out of the plastic - which I had no idea I would have to do that - just thought I was getting a titan body.. I followed the lines with utility knife (don't have an xacto knife yet)..

The end result is pretty rough... How do I go about fix`in up these wheel wells!?The way I mounted the body, makes it look like there's a huge lift. Is the only fix 2.2 tires to make it look more scale?

Again this is my first ever attempt at a body. Hopefully I can find a 4dr titan body and get the next one right

These first 2 pictures are before I tried to actually mount the body. The next 3 are the final product. Help me fix it ;)

This final shot you can see how horrible the wheel wells really are...
rage232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2015, 09:07 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Mini Titan

For your first body it looks actually pretty good. On your next one I suggest trimming to fit everything before painting if you didn't do that this time, this will allow you to make small adjustments to fit the wheelwells or whatever to your truck/tire combo. I can't speak specifically (new to SCX10's and available off the shelf parts) for fixing the wheelbase on the truck but this is what will need to be accomplished to fix the wheel wells. Links are easy to make and pretty durable when you break the stock ones.

Some of the people in this hobby actually paint lexan on the outside. It's not a big deal except that it'll scratch compared to being on the inside. Some people prefer this, and I definitely plan on painting a body "chrome" with rust accents one day and spraying the actual color outside so as it wears it looks more realistic.
DrewHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:24 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

It looks good from here. Try lexan scissors there 8 or so at hobby store. I use dremmel tool on the edges with a very fine grit. Or 1000 grit wet dry sand paper wrapped around a sponge / Styrofoam.
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:32 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Use masking tape for a pattern to help you align it up

Last edited by snapon boy; 08-17-2015 at 10:34 PM.
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:14 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

It looks a heck of a lot better than my first body. If you want rounder wheel wells, you can use a dremel sanding disk, or even a piece of sandpaper wrapped around something round close to the size you want. As far as the height of the body, can you drop the mounting posts down some?
RaleighRCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:58 PM   #6

Thanks for all the input!! RaleighRCer - Unfortunately I cannot drop the body any more as the front end already sits on the bumper. Maybe I should notch it out and try... I did some work on the wheel wells. Didn't get any pics thrown up yet but got her out for a video today...

About half way through I decided it's too much trying to hold the iPhone and video while driving and I set the phone down on the rocks. Tough to find a spot to hold it a lot of the time... I'll probably make a mini stand for it

I ran up this entire thing, only decided to video on the way down. I'm extremely impressed with this truck! I thought for sure I was going to break something today... I had the front wheels pointing in opposite directions a few times due to the weak plastic steering - but at least it didn't break.
Oh and my 8 year old daughter was doing the donuts at the end lol

Old 08-27-2015, 08:32 PM   #7

Hey everyone,
Just thought I'd share my progress. I decided to try and lower the body. I cut out the front bumper on the body and drilled 2 new holes in my lower windshield. I still need to cut 2 new holes for the rear body mounts, then I'll have to cut even more on my fenders as they are going to rub - but I like the looks much better so far. I also order my plasti dip for waterproofing -- that'll be my next part of the project.
Here's some pics.. I know she needs cleaned!! enjoy!
Bonus of an old model civic I built and painted probably 10 years ago

Old 09-02-2015, 07:39 AM   #8

Some quick updates on the Titan... All electronics have been plasti dipped, front axle and transmission torn down and greased up with waterproof grease.. Waiting on 2nd coat of plasti dip to dry - then will reinstall all electronics and start on the rear axle. Oh I also updated the front from the stock 3link to a 4 link setup. Hoping to get everything back together before the weekend to hit some trails, mud and some water!!

I still have to work on the rear mount for the Titan body - gotta re-drill holes for the body into the bed... Then gotta figure out what rondo with my old holes in the bed and windshield...

Mini Titan - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
thunder tiger mini titan ah-1w ROLANDROCKSHOP Non Crawler RC's 0 03-29-2010 01:17 PM
Losi Mini LST2, Traxxas Mini Slash, or Mini revo. CrawlinMike Non Crawler RC's 10 07-14-2009 06:53 PM
BB-51 Titan RcBro 2.2 Scale Rigs 107 02-12-2008 03:47 PM
The Titan bigflex Tamiya Clod Buster 7 12-17-2005 09:29 PM