Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: New to crawling, looking for advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2015, 10:27 AM   #1

Default New to crawling, looking for advice

Hello, this is my first post here.
A little background, I have been into RC for close to 15 years, almost all nitro, with the exception of a couple planes and small helis. I currently own a Savage and a Stampede for off road fun. My father in law recently bought a Yeti XL, which is tons of fun. I had a lot of fun with it seeing what it climb up and over. So, now I am looking for something to run at my campground, just to crawl over some rock walls and run down some trails in the woods.
I have no experience with crawling other than a couple hours with the Yeti XL. I am hesitant to pick up a SCX10 because I am not sure what I could reasonably expect it to crawl over. I do have an old electric Stampede that I could fix up and use, but it is RWD.
I have watched a bunch of youtube vids of the SCX10 and it seems pretty capable, but before I drop $350 on one, I would like to know how it compares in terms of ability to the XL(within reason due to the size difference), which I know is not specifically a crawler.

Thanks
superbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2015, 10:37 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: New to crawling, looking for advice

The scx us super capable, but slow and scale. The wraith/yeti/twin hammers all have some go. Depends on what you want though, you want to drive a scale truck, like a mini version of a jeep, or want to boogy and crawl with a rock buggy?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:31 AM   #3
RCC Addict

You can't compare the XL to the SCX10, two completely different rigs and completely different sizes as well. If you want a scaler that will put your driving skills to the test, get the SCX10. If you want a bash rig that will jump over obstacles and tear up the terrain while throwing it all over the place in spectacular fashion, get the XL.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:35 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

A SCX10 has some pretty incredible capability out of the box. You will be surprised by the things that a stock truck can climb. The Yeti XL doesn't climb as much as it runs over things with sheer size, kind of like your Savage. If they were the same size, a Yeti XL would not nearly be able to go the places a SCX10 can.

If you are going to be walking behind a truck on the trail, do you want to follow the one that does 25 mph or the one that does 5 mph?
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:42 AM   #5

Thanks for the quick replies.

For this scenario, speed is not a concern at all. It sounds like the SCX10 will do what I want, and I am kind of intrigued by the scale aspect as well. I have other vehicles that I can bash around when we head out to the sand pits, but the SCX sounds like just the thing for chilling out and putting around the campsite.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:32 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I think you will be happy they cant go everywhere but they will go anywhere. Hope that helps
351Beno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:42 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Speed isn't a concern go with the scx. Hard to beat. Lots of options for it, bodies, parts.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:51 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Scx10 or wraith
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:39 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbrew View Post
...but the SCX sounds like just the thing for chilling out and putting around the campsite.
It is the ultimate campsite truck (among many other uses)! I'm currently trying to get an SCX10 build finished up, for a small camping trip I'm taking my family on, early next week. I found a good campsite, that looks to have easy access to a crawling spot, unless the Google maps satellite view deceived me.
johnnyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:18 PM   #10

I am also new to Crawling. My SCX10 Jeep arrived 2 days and I've already ran the 5000mah battery down 3 times! I love to build, but ended up with a RTR so I could play while acquiring upgrades, and I'm glad I want that way. No, the "flex links" won't let you do serious crawling, but you can have a lot of fun with it now and upgrade as you play!

Chris
up9018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:44 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I've seen bone stock rtrs keep up or go beyond modded ones. The rtr is super light and will float over a lot of stuff. Steering links and battery relocate until stuff starts breaking, or until you want 3s power.

Old 09-17-2015, 01:05 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

The stampede is great for open beaches and stuff.. my dog loves to chase mine, but it can't go over stuff worth beans. The stock scx10 is a pretty good truck.. keep in mind that it is a scale trail truck not really a crawler.. but I have seen a lot of people with actual competition crawlers get bored and go out and buy a scx10 because its more challenging. You will be surprised what a stock scx10 can actually climb over. It is not a hard core basher like the stampede.. if you run at things full throttle and jump it off rocks you will break it. If you're taking it camping I suggest you get a couple of lipo 5k 2s batteries unless you have a way to charge them while camping.

If your balking at the $350 buy in you might look at tower hobbies and see what the price would be for the the scx10 deadbolt with their discount.
rcwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:18 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Tower Hobbies has a great sale on Axial stuff right now. You can get a Deadbolt for $270 or a Power Wagon for $300 before coupons. After all the coupons and promotions, you can have a truck for around $225.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 01:58 PM   #14

I purchased my first crawler (SCX10 Honcho) about six months ago, and I'm super stoked by its offroad capabilities. I've taken it to Lake Tahoe CA, Donner Lake, and along the American River here near Sacramento. It's great. Well worth the cost. It does about 15mph at full throttle, so it's not made for speed, but it isn't slow either. Hope this helps. Enjoy crawling.
PDederko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 02:11 PM   #15

So, I just installed new links, front and back, n my scx10 honcho. Also installed new SkyQ C-Hubs, Boom Racing knuckles, and an Axial steering link. I noticed that the knuckles actually have an 11 degree forward angle on them causing my steering links to not be at parallel with each other. Will it be a problem on my servo if the upper steering link is not parallel to the lower one? Just curious to know, and to see if anyone ran into this issue.
PDederko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:45 AM   #16

I am new to crawling too. I picked up a scx10 deadbolt and for the money you can't beat it.imo
Fraid Knot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:56 PM   #17

You might want to look into a wraith. I have two SCX10 and the Yeti XL. Like what others have said, you can't really compare the two because they are two totally different types of vehicles. A wraith is a good medium to both. It crawls and can rock race too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mugenteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:35 PM   #18
RCC Addict

I just saw a New RTR deadbolt on eBay for $269
ussprinceton2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 12:49 PM   #19

So I bit the bullet and got the SCX10 Wrangler C/R from tower, plus some other stuff, so I got $70 off, plus it was already $50 off. I have only ran it around the back yard, but I am surprised at how much fun this thing and how capable it is. I set up a little test board of plywood and it climbed a 45 degree angle. Super pumped to get out on a trail with this.
Old 10-03-2015, 01:52 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Superbrew, congrats on your new cralwer, enjoy! I would say either SCX10 or Vaterra Ascender RTR.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

New to crawling, looking for advice - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to crawling need advice Tnc89 Tamiya CR-01 33 12-21-2013 07:25 PM
New to crawling.... Need advice Road1will Newbie General 5 12-13-2013 10:01 PM
New to Crawling - advice please. drjav Axial AX-10 Scorpion 3 08-10-2012 01:28 AM
Extremely new to crawling. Advice is welcome. sstroudwku Newbie General 12 07-24-2011 12:20 PM
New to crawling...need some advice! snowsurfer715 Newbie General 22 03-20-2009 01:13 AM