Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Need final feedback on electronics for SCX10 Dingo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2015, 03:56 AM   #1

Question Need final feedback on electronics for SCX10 Dingo

Hey! Crawler newb here.

I'm building an SCX10 Dingo kit and have been doing a ton of research on what electronics to get. My head has finally stopped spinning and I'm looking for some last feedback/confirmation before placing my order.

I'm planning to run on some 3s Li-Pos I have lying around, though I might get a couple of 2s packs for the children at some point.

I have a Flysky GT3B FS-3 radio and receiver on the way and am planning to order the following parts to complete my electronics setup:
  • Motor/ESC: TEKTT2109 - Tekin FX-R Rock Crawling ESC/Motor Combo w/35T HD Motor
  • ESC programming cable: TEKTT3825 - Tekin Gen2 HotWire Adapter
  • Steering servo: Hitec HS-7955TG Ultra Torque Titanium Gear Digital Servo
What do you folks think of this setup? Will the servo fit the Dingo right out of the box? Am I going to need a BEC too, and if so which one to get?

I will probably buy from amainhobbies and would like to get all parts from the same place if possible to save on shipping.

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: I almost forgot I wanted to ask about what pinion/spur setups I could run with this motor apart from the stock without overheating or other issues. I'd like to be able to have the options of running faster for general bashing on lighter terrain and slower for better crawling and for my children to play with.

Last edited by kukkuzejt; 10-16-2015 at 04:35 AM.
kukkuzejt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2015, 04:12 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Need final feedback on electronics for SCX10 Dingo

Will be a very capable setup, a lot of guys will suggest there own preference but really if your happy with your research I give it a thumbs up. As for the BEC do yourself a favour and get one, it's a worth investment to keep that nice 7955 operating at max potential.

Be sure to check max voltage on that servo, I seem to think it's 6v, could be wrong just double check the specs, then get your BEC set at that voltage, if your spending that much on new electronics, you want the most out of them, BEC is the only way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Slayso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 04:22 AM   #3

Yes, the servo is indeed 6v, thanks. Any recommendations for the BEC?

I decided to bite the bullet and spend on good electronics hoping to avoid a series of burn outs and upgrades that will be more expensive in the long run. We'll see how that goes.

I've also edited the OP to ask about alternative pinion/spur setups for higher speed or more torque.

Last edited by kukkuzejt; 10-16-2015 at 04:37 AM.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:09 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

castle creation cc bec seems to be the most recomended. i have a few cheaper ones on the slow boat from china to compare with a cc i just got but as of yet i have not seen or used cheaper ones.....or cc one for that matter .
jamesthe1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:29 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Go CC BEC. Worth the money, it's no more than $25. Get it set at 6v, that servo is very smooth and a lot of local guys run it, as for Tekin, they are a good hand wound motor and I personally think 35T is the perfect torque/wheelspeed combo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Slayso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:39 AM   #6
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

We go between 35t and 27t as the most popular. tekin handwounds are pretty good. Maybe not the best on copper fill, but you get tekin support.

In my own rigs I prefer five slot motors, the Crawlmaster 16t would be about the same speed as a 35t. They start up much smoother and give a unique driving experience.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:15 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

The Tekin setup is nice (especially the footprint) but you could save a few dollars by going with a Castle Sidewinder and Holmes Torquemaster Expert motor. The Sidewinder has the added bonus of being waterproof. The ESC, motor, BEC, and Castle Link only come out to about $10 more than just the FXR/motor combo.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:50 AM   #8

Thanks for all your feedback. I love options until they become overwhelming. I had looked at both the HH Torquemaster and Crawlmaster motors and I think in part it was the overwhelming options and combinations that pushed me towards the 'safer' FX-R combo people seemed happy with.

So let's see what we have:

Setup in the OP (excluding servo)
  • TEKTT2109 - Tekin FX-R Rock Crawling ESC/Motor Combo w/35T HD Motor $139.99
  • TEKTT1451 - Tekin Hotwire 2.0 USB Interface $31.99
  • CSE010-0004-00 - Castle Creations 10 Amp Adjustable BEC $21.21
Total $193.19 - note the motor in the OP is not hand wound as far as I can tell

Alternative 1
  • HHBTMEX35 - Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster Expert 540 Brushed Electric Motor (35T) $42.49
  • CSE010-0115-00 - Castle Creations Sidewinder 3 Waterproof 1/10 Sport ESC $68.00
  • CSE010-0063-00 - Castle Creations "Car" Field Link Programmer $25.45
  • CSE010-0004-00 - Castle Creations 10 Amp Adjustable BEC $21.21
Total $157.15

Alternative 2

For $32.50 more (Total $189.65), upgrade Alternative 1 motor to:
  • HHBCMPRO516 - Holmes Hobbies CrawlMaster Pro Motor 540 Brushed Electric Motor (16T) $74.99 (Currently on backorder)

I think I like Alternative 2, even if I'll have to be patient with the backorder or find another supplier.

Any comments on that?
Old 10-16-2015, 08:57 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
We go between 35t and 27t as the most popular. tekin handwounds are pretty good. Maybe not the best on copper fill, but you get tekin support.

In my own rigs I prefer five slot motors, the Crawlmaster 16t would be about the same speed as a 35t. They start up much smoother and give a unique driving experience.
i have both the tekin 35 and now two diffrant HH moters. the 13 turn five arm rocks. i just finished the g6 in arkansaw and i had power and weel speed to spare. getting the HH combo means pure greatness. im not bashing my tekin at all its just i have to send my sons tekin to HH for repair just saying.
big bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:03 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Amain should have the Crawlmaster 16T back in stock soon. I ordered one last week when they were showing in stock but they didn't actually have any (now waiting on a backorder). The customer service rep I spoke to yesterday said they expect to get them in a few days.

I have a Torquemaster expert and it is a very nice motor but I'm excited to see what the Crawlmaster can do.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:32 AM   #11

Thanks again. I think I'll go for Alternative 2 then.

BTW, apart from the stock 20T/87T pinion and spur gears I'd like to have a higher gearing option for faster general bashing on lighter terrain and a lower gearing option for more technical crawling and for my children to play with and handle more easily.

Could anyone suggest what possible setups would work well without overheating the motor? I want to get whatever extra pinions/spurs I need in the same order.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:36 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I order from Holmes Hobbies directly. Try that. I also when building a rig email them and ask for motor suggestions and buy what they suggest that is close to my budget. I went on a trail run with a friend who runs a silver can motor and a novack setup. I switched with him let him drive my rc from about 30 min. He asked what motor do you have its so smooth torqey and plenty of power. I saw him last weekend he now has Holmes 16t and brxl. He commented about how great the customer service was.
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:50 AM   #13
Rat

The HH 16T is a great set-up. Different "feel" than other out there. If you need it running soon, just get a $9 RCFWD 35T while you are waiting.
Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:53 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

I was interested in a crawlmaster pro 20t but I saw that thread where you mentioned the puller pro stubby. So for someone not interested in wheel speed and all about control while crawling and having a little oomph for loose dirt hill climbs. Would the crawlmaster pro still be the choice to have? Thank you sir and sorry OP for being off topic
wsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:02 PM   #15

Hill climbs = brushless. Most customers that ruin brushed motors do it hill climbing.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:49 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Hill climbs = brushless. Most customers that ruin brushed motors do it hill climbing.
I don't plan on hill climbs. I want to use my rig to crawl, and I want the most control possible when I hit the rocks. And I want my wheel speed to be scaled down appropriately but when I do come across a loose dirt hill here and there. I'd like to be able to get up. Maybe not ALL of em, but enough power where I'll be ok. But I would say 90-95% of driving will be slow slow crawling on rocks. Should I still get a crawlmaster pro? Or do you think the puller pro matches the 5 slot's down low start up smoothness?
Old 10-21-2015, 05:46 AM   #17

Crawlmaster is the crawlmaster, you could gear down a puller and get as good startup. Either one would offer very fine control, but the CM will have an edge on slow control and tractability. The puller will have a wider rpm range and give longer runtime.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:43 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Crawlmaster is the crawlmaster, you could gear down a puller and get as good startup. Either one would offer very fine control, but the CM will have an edge on slow control and tractability. The puller will have a wider rpm range and give longer runtime.
The puller stubby 2200kv would give longer run times over cm pro 20t??
Old 10-21-2015, 04:56 PM   #19

Assuming same final speed and that you don't flog it harder, brushless generally gives longer runtime than brushed.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:59 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Assuming same final speed and that you don't flog it harder, brushless generally gives longer runtime than brushed.
So the 5 slot crawlmaster pro is the smoothest but the puller pro stubby can get damn close ur saying? Geared at 56t (32p) with a 10t pinion and underdrive gears in both axles would the puller pro be close to the crawlmaster?

Need final feedback on electronics for SCX10 Dingo - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best electronics for my dingo insutama Axial SCX-10 13 12-04-2013 01:28 AM
Getting electronics for dingo kit pursuitgt Newbie General 4 01-30-2013 03:14 AM
Dingo TR Electronics Lambo3244 Axial SCX-10 1 02-19-2011 01:18 AM
i'm getting a creeper ... but which electronics to put in ??? feedback please DAN8701 Venom Creeper 30 09-23-2010 10:21 PM