Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: SCX-10 Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2015, 06:46 PM   #1

Default SCX-10 Build

I'm looking at doing an SCX Build. I'm 110% new to the NRTR kits, but am no stranger to modifying/working on RC's. I've been running Traxxas stuff the last few years and am slowly getting away from that. I have taken a new interest in the Axial lineup.

With that being said I'm leaning towards doing a full on "kit" build, without the kit. Essentially purchase every individual item I want and build it all to my own spec. Unless someone would suggest against this. I feel like if I order a "kit" to build that I'll have a lot of extras that I replace with upgraded items I want.

Now, the only thing I am not sure of would be the actual hardware. I haven't seen full on bolt kits for these. I believe this is the only benefit to ordering a "kit." It would come with all the necessary bolts/nuts to get started. But surely there's something available that I'm overlooking.

Appreciate all of the advice in advance. I've enjoyed "lurking" these forums for long enough. All of the info I've collected from here is priceless and I appreciate everyone that contributed to their "build" threads.
Vetteklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2015, 07:56 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: SCX-10 Build

I'd go with a hardware kit from team KNK because all of the hardware is in its own individual bag that is labeled with a slip of paper giving you the size info at a glance and keeps everything separated. Like others they also have platform specific kits for the Wraith, SCX10, etc. I've done two builds like you described buying each individual piece and it's real easy especially if you already have RC building experience. I would recommend getting a new take off chassis from RPP for $50 out of their salvage yard and get the matching manual for a couple bucks too. That will give you assembly instructions and an illustrated parts breakdown. Good luck and post up your progress.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
I'd go with a hardware kit from team KNK because all of the hardware is in its own individual bag that is labeled with a slip of paper giving you the size info at a glance and keeps everything separated. Like others they also have platform specific kits for the Wraith, SCX10, etc. I've done two builds like you described buying each individual piece and it's real easy especially if you already have RC building experience. I would recommend getting a new take off chassis from RPP for $50 out of their salvage yard and get the matching manual for a couple bucks too. That will give you assembly instructions and an illustrated parts breakdown. Good luck and post up your progress.
Thanks man! I like the whole not out of the box ideology. I build custom PC's, have had custom guns built (and hope to build my own in the future), customer ATV's, etc. You've definitely helped. It's all about collecting resources. And as I'm sure this information is somewhere amongst the tens of thousands of threads on these forums. This helps!

I'll get a build thread going once I get parts and stuff in and somethings that are picture worthy. I'm studying up on professional photography too, so this will help support that hobby too.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:58 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I came from the traxxas world too... just my opinion, and comes from a chronic upgrader, but I think you should start with a stock truck... kit version if you want. But, if you start with all the upgrade parts you'll have no appreciation for what the truck actually is and what it can/can't do. You'll have no idea what the upgrade parts accomplish. If you want to build a super expensive truck just to say you have all the best parts, that's a different story. But if your really looking to build a great, useable and capable truck, you don't need as many upgrade parts as you might think. I started with a deadbolt RTR... then proceeded to buy and build 12 other scx10's in all different shapes and sizes. It was super fun and I highly recommend it. But if I learned anything in the process it's that the scx10 is a great truck in nearly stock form. In the end i have 2 scx10's now with a longer list of stock parts than upgrades. They do everything and have proven to be extremely durable. There are a list of very valuable and worthwhile upgrades you'll want for sure... and there's an even longer list of stuff you probably only need if you plan to compete. You could spend a ton of money and not get any real world performance enhancements.

Also, starting with a stocker truck means you have a pile of stock parts laying around when your done upgrading. Which can very easily be built into another truck later on... which can then become a base for experimentation for new parts before you install them on your main truck.

Just a thought.

Last edited by Pavmentsurfer; 11-01-2015 at 10:00 PM.
Pavmentsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:12 AM   #5
Rat

I agree totally. I started with a Deadbolt. Other than links and battery relocation, almost nothing else "needs" to be done. Run it for a while, you will see if other upgrades are needed for your driving style.
Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:03 PM   #6

Appreciate the responses. The MAIN reason I was leaning towards just ordering everything is because I more or less want a semi-custom rig. Something different, but simple. I like the Currie axles along with the VP links. Custom bumpers, etc.

I do like the idea of buying the kit and then potentially having parts for a second build later on.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:42 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

When you consider that you'll need the chassis, transmission and many other assorted small parts, your probably not that far off on price to just buy and upgrade a stock truck. Heck, upgrade the axles and stuff right away and sell the stock parts as new. A set of SCX10 axles is worth pretty good money. As is a new stock body of almost any version. You can use Dollarhobbyz to get the stuff you need if you want to do a ground up build. But its more of a hassle when you can get a Dingo kit for like $225 from tower after discounts.
Pavmentsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:14 AM   #8
waw
Quarry Creeper

well, you know.. this THREAD might come handy if you lend a time to read it
waw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:42 PM   #9
waw
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetteklr View Post
Wow! A plethora of information here! Thank you for that!

have fun reading it.. just do it slowly
waw is offline   Reply With Quote

SCX-10 Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My New SCX 10 Build Needboost Axial SCX-10 23 04-27-2015 12:14 AM
My scx build. Kauasy Axial SCX-10 69 01-09-2015 10:58 AM
First Scx-10 build. tstmonkey Axial SCX-10 1 02-28-2014 07:46 AM
Help...With SCX-10 Build?! Barzano.Racing Newbie General 5 11-27-2011 03:05 PM