Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: c0bra's scx10 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2016, 12:50 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default c0bra's scx10 build

The build for this won't really start moving until another project is finished but that one is close enough that I figured I'd start a build thread.

This scx10 began life as your standard jeep g6 rtr with nothing special on it. I then took it apart and installed a home made mud truck conversion and some 2.2s and a 1/8 brushless system in it. Well the desire for a better monster truck took over and the truck was put out of commission. The only upgrades were savox 1256 servo, vp 12 inch links, and ssd c hubs and knuckles with dlux bushings.

With really only the driveshafts and motor/esc going to the monster truck I had most of a scx10 just sitting around with a perfectly good keep g6 body. The links I had just happened to be the perfect length so why not rebuild it as a normal scx10. Thus began stage 1 of the build, getting this thing to be a runner.

It's not quite a runner yet but other than the vp links and ssd parts on the front axle it's got a ssd cms, toyzuki front motor mount (the aluminum one), dig length mip going to the trans, hr shock towers and 3 inch vp light bar mounted on the stock rtr bumper. It also has a dinky rc trailer hitch. For wheels and tires it has axial 1.9 non beadlock wheels with pit bull rock beast tires. It's got ci lil nova foams front and rear, front has soft outer, rear has medium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by c0bra; 07-29-2016 at 07:42 PM.
c0bra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2016, 11:48 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: c0bra's scx10 build

Not much of an update on this but I got the driveshafts installed finally. I've also ordered the shock stand offs and a full set of fast eddy bearings.

I'm also debating on either going with vp 8 degree knuckle and chubs or going xr mod. Any suggestions?

I know the xr mod gives you way more steering that the 8 degree but I'm not sure if it's worth it. I'm not planning to comp this, just building it to be a durable trail rig

Old 08-18-2016, 09:37 PM   #3
RCC Addict

The original plan for the body was scraped and changed it to a f350 high lift body. The cab is mounted to the chassis using a modified roll cage that I got 2 years ago from a local builder. The bed is just sitting on the rear wheels to get an idea of how much work is needed. The bed needs stretched about a 1/2 inch, need to trim the wheel arches and make it a square again.

Before I move to building the floor and bed sides I need to get parts for a cantilever rear suspension using the shapeways mounts. Once that is done I should only have to worry about clearing the wheels.

I stalled a locked up slipper eliminator with 14/54 gearing, and found a place to mount the rx and mmp. The battery will go in a homemade tool box in the bed, it will be a small 2s.

Old 09-04-2016, 12:16 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Major Update!!!

I got the cantilever set up done! Since I didn't really see any threads on google about using the mounts from shapeways, so I'll explain what I did.

To attach the upper shock mount to the shapeways mount I drilled part of the way thru the other side of it to countersink the screw. I then took out the tiny hallow ball in the 1/16 revo shock and put a plastic axial one on the screw to space it out. Then put the shock on followed by a m3 washer and nylock nut.

The 1/16 revo rockers are were the biggest problems happened but I'll explain how I got everything mounted. Were the rocker pivots on the mount I used the stock screw that traxxas uses. Then I had to drill out the other 2 holes on the rocker so that I could screw in a m3 screw without needing to use a nut. I used m3x10 cap head screws on both sides of it. To attach the shock I again removed the tiny hallow ball traxxas uses. Then with the screw most of the way in on one side of the rocker I used 4 m3 washers on each side of the shock. On the other end its just a revo rod end.

The link that goes from the rocker to the axle is just 2 revo rod ends and some threaded rod. I noticed when getting to this point, at ride height the upper links are parallel to the ground, so to get the length of the link I took all the wheels and propped it up so that the front and rear were both at ride height and used that to get the links made.

Old 09-04-2016, 12:22 PM   #5
RCC Addict

That's not all of the update, just felt that should be in its own post. I finally got a chance to mount the cage the rest of the way to the chassis. Also swapped the transmission case to a vp one and replaced the bearings with fast eddy and put in fresh grease.

I removed the pro4/mmp for another rig and replaced them with a tekin rs gen2 spec and integy 35t. I also switched back to stock gearing. The battery wire is ridiculously long but there's a reason for it.

I also swapped the front bumper to a ssd winch bumper and 3racing winch. The controller will be an old ax10 scorpion esc which will be mounted to the servo. Due to lack of space for electronics I decided to drill and tap a hole into the toyzuki mount and use a piece of brass to mount the rx.

c0bra's scx10 build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
C0bra's IFS wraith build! c0bra Axial Wraith 12 12-29-2013 01:33 PM
c0bra's cc01 c0bra Tamiya XC/CC01 21 02-20-2013 11:52 PM
c0bra's TT01 build c0bra Non Crawler RC's 13 01-22-2013 09:04 PM
c0bra's.......wraith! c0bra Axial Wraith 32 08-18-2012 09:16 PM
c0bra's wroncho c0bra Axial SCX-10 64 12-19-2011 02:55 PM