Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: transmission problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2016, 05:26 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default transmission problems

I have the scx10 deadbolt. Been slowly upgrading as needed. I finally stripped the plastic gear in the transmission. So i order a set of steel hot racing gears from The Crawl Space. got them in stall a few days ago and ran it once, everythng worked good. tonight I went to screw around with it and spun the tires and the transmission sounded like it was making a clicking sound. So i tore in to the transmission and took it apart. Ran smooth! put it back together and it clicked and I could feel it catching. loosened up bolts around motor plate and it stopped. What in the heck is going on. what am i not seeing or missing? thank you in advance for your imput.
raddad1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2016, 09:10 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: transmission problems

Is your pinion/spur gear meshed correctly (ie the correct distance apart)? I'm thinking they might be too close together. If you can stick a piece of paper between the pinion and spur, then they are meshed correctly. Also I would check to make sure that there is clearance between the pinion/spur gears and the gear guard, and between the gear guard and the driveshaft
caleb.cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:34 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

over tightening the bolts will cause the housing to flex...either locktite the bolts where they dont distort the case or upgrade to the aluminum case...
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:07 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

thank you. I will look into the gears are meshed. and the spacing and all.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:56 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

[QUOTE=caleb.cole;5547989]Is your pinion/spur gear meshed correctly (ie the correct distance apart)? I'm thinking they might be too close together. If you can stick a piece of paper between the pinion and spur, then they are meshed correctly. Also I would check to make sure that there is clearance between the pinion/spur gears and the gear guard, and between the gear guard and the driveshaft[/QUOT

Thank you. I took the trans apart to check the mash and spacing. Everything looked good. I recently put in new bearings, and thought maybe one was bad so I took out the bearings and cleaned everything back up and no more problems.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:00 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
over tightening the bolts will cause the housing to flex...either locktite the bolts where they dont distort the case or upgrade to the aluminum case...
I didnt over tighten the bolts just till they were snug. but I did loc-tite the bolts. But I am thinkng I mght go with an aluminum like you suggest.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:27 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Using a pick or the tip of an exacto knife blade etc clean the debris out of the teeth on the spur gear.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:53 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Using a pick or the tip of an exacto knife blade etc clean the debris out of the teeth on the spur gear.
I did that as well, got a lot of gunk out smh. as well as ran a q-tip around the bearings and all and got more gunk. thought I cleaned it all better than that lol
Old 08-13-2016, 03:51 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by raddad1975 View Post
I did that as well, got a lot of gunk out smh. as well as ran a q-tip around the bearings and all and got more gunk. thought I cleaned it all better than that lol
You should put some grease in as well to prevent more stuff from getting in. I use Lucas Oil Marine Grease and no water gets in.
caleb.cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:49 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb.cole View Post
You should put some grease in as well to prevent more stuff from getting in. I use Lucas Oil Marine Grease and no water gets in.
I use AGS LITH-EASE white lithium grease. its multi-purpose all weather grease. its good for farm equiment to marine use. love the stuff

transmission problems - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transmission Problems FilthyWraith Axial Wraith 4 03-09-2014 06:39 PM
Transmission problems xr 10/ vanquish bushings dusty sweep Axial XR10 5 11-28-2010 10:49 AM
mrc transmission problems marshall381 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 8 08-23-2010 10:43 AM
R-2 Transmission problems ToyotaKing88 General Crawlers 7 12-06-2007 10:23 AM
RC4WD transmission problems Coligny Comments, Suggestions, and Help 3 12-02-2007 03:16 PM