Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Overland Toyota Hilux SR5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2016, 11:13 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Overland Toyota Hilux SR5

After Proline came out with the Toyota Hilux body and seeing it at AxialFest 2016 I knew one way or the other I had to build one. Once the official announcement came out I placed an order with Tower Hobbies and waited. A few days after that, Paul from Proline contacted me and hooked me up with my dream Proline build! I then canceled my Tower Hobbies order and got to googling 1985 Toyota pickups.

Included in the Proline shipment was:

Interco TSL Super Swampers mounted on their Faultline beadlock wheels
Overland scale roof rack
4” light bar
2” light bar
1985 Toyota Hilux SR5 Clear body, cab and bed

Starting off, I had a hard time deciding which chassis to use and what color to paint it. I’m a really big Ivan Stewart fan and have done a few Ironman Stewart paint jobs in the past and thought it would be cool to have this done in his colors and have my other Ironman trucks in the photos with it.

After staring at the rack of Tamiya paints at the LHS, I decided that the Ironman paint job will have to wait and decided to do a stock ooking overland type build with a subtle stock type paint job.

Using these as inspiration I set out to figure out what chassis to put it on. I wanted to run the Vaterra Ascender chassis because of RC4WD’s new ARB diff covers but, because of the tall shock towers the Toyota body sat too high and looked like a mud truck so I opted for the tried and true Axial Racing SCX10.

The chassis isn’t too far from stock however it does have a decent amount of aftermarket parts on it:
Boom Racing aluminum shock mounts (10mm of shock height adjustment is nice), rear axle lockouts, front c-hubs, steering knuckles, and steering links
Knight Customs floor and battery mounts
RC4WD Rock Krawler rear 4 links
Proline 90mm Scaler Shocks
Custom front battery mount

I ended up painting the body my favorite Tamiya color, PS-16 Metallic Blue backed by Spaztik chrome and sealed by Tamiya black. Backing it with chrome really gives the blue some depth. I also cut out the window weather stripping from the protective body cover so that I could paint that flat black on the outside. I also sprayed flat black in the bed for the bed liner.

After the body dired I mounted up the Proline roof rack using their Hemispherical mounting pieces, this type of mount is raelly nice when your roof isn’t completely flat, I didn’t really need it for this roof, but I like the added height for mounting scale parts to it.

The Proline lights are super bright and look great, just wish they had an external switch but that’s nothing HeyOk can’t fix.

The Super Swamper premounts definitely saves time and fingers and look amazing, there was only one tire bead that wasn’t mounted but that’s an easy fix.

The cool part of this body and cab set is you can change up the look pretty fast, mounting up the Axial honcho bed is quick and looks great, then when you get sick of that look, mount up the bed, it’s even deep enough that you can put your tools or other scale accessories in it and they won’t fall out.

Last part of the body is the interior, usually I’ll mount up my Dinky RC interior that I’ve made to work with numerous bodies but lately it bothers me in my videos when the truck/jeep is driving by itself! I picked up an Axial Racing Wraith Spawn interior for pretty cheap, painted it up along with a motocross style head and mounted it to the body, it fits great and is only held in with a few pieces of 3m double sided tape.

Finally it was time to mount up the RC4WD tube bumper and a Warn winch with scale pull tab, you gotta get you a couple packages of these pull tabs!

I’m calling this one done…for now, but I will update this when I change something to it!

I will be posting the driving video soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stonecold is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2016, 11:41 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Overland Toyota Hilux SR5

Love me some Yoders. I didn't realize the bed would separate from the cab like a hardbody.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:25 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Overland Toyota Hilux SR5

No shelf queen here, loved watching it drive through the water.

Old 09-11-2016, 07:52 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Damn that's clean
Ltd.yfz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:02 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Here's the running video...

Old 09-12-2016, 10:05 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Very impressive build...looks awesome. Do you have a link for the hemispherical mounts?
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:42 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilinvic View Post
Very impressive build...looks awesome. Do you have a link for the hemispherical mounts?
They come with the Proline Overland roof rack.

https://www.prolineracing.com/perfor...ale-roof-rack/
Old 10-07-2016, 03:42 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Since the Proline body came with a bed as well I decided I should mount it up and put the truck on some street tires so it could hit the urban trails…

Street tires are the Proline KO2's wrapped around a set of Boom Racing Black KRAIT Beadlocks.

I came across a Tamiya sticker sheet on eBay with these orange 4wd stripes on it and had to have it, they also have some other useful things on it.

I had Asiatees send me out some military axles for a jeep I was building and decided I should try them out on this to see hoe good they are...they're actually pretty darn good and look killer in action.

Old 10-07-2016, 03:42 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I really like the all terrain look of the tires and really wanted to see what they're "breaking point" is so a friend and I went back to the creek from the first video and tried them out, I have to say I am very impressed by their performance!

Old 10-07-2016, 06:13 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Nice! What's the wheelbase?
Tossedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:54 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tossedman View Post
Nice! What's the wheelbase?

12.3"

Old 10-07-2016, 09:19 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Very nice work!

149 r/c worx team driver
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:07 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

This is nice!

When you say you cut away the window trim to paint the outside, do you mean you cut away the plastic outer film then painted over that?

Thanks in advance...
Habanero is offline   Reply With Quote

Overland Toyota Hilux SR5 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pro-Line 1985 Toyota HiLux SR5 2-Piece Body for 12.3" Pro-Line Racing Paint and Body 120 08-02-2018 09:21 AM
'83 Toyota 4x4 SR5 tozrovr RC4WD Trail Finder 2 93 06-05-2013 06:57 PM