Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Does it make me weird??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2016, 04:15 PM   #1

Default Does it make me weird??

That I want to buy the original SCX10 even though the new SCX10 II is now out? Seems like the new features are something I could just upgrade to get (I love to upgrade parts!) and I am such a newb at crawling I wouldn't know the difference. Upgrade parts are plentiful and it is a tried and true platform. Does that sound odd at all?
SCX10Newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2016, 04:18 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Does it make me weird??

Wow your a strange one ... lol I sold my scx10 ii

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aiden102408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:49 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

weird that you don't want the latest, greatest...
purdy much figure that's how this country rolls these days.

^ gotta get a new cell phone as soon as the new model becomes available.
'cuz it's a race to be the first in popularity

But yeah... I like my basic SCX-10 platform
The popularity/following it has
means I can customize it to my liking.
Lot's of aft mkt support.

plus you probably saved some money on your purchase
so's you can put that into what you want to do.

weird or not... give yerself a pat on the back
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:09 PM   #4
waw
Quarry Creeper

and the scx10-II is mostly an updated version of the previous model.. and if you want to upgrade it, the hobby scene is slowly producing many great hop-ups for it

yes the scx10 older model stood the test of time, the second generation will also do.. but it's your call, it's your choice.. whatever it is, have lots of FUN
waw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 12:18 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Drive both then make your choice. On paper, the new SCX10 II looks better than the original. On the trail, the original SCX just can't compete. Many who have bought and driven the kit or RTR SCX10 II have said that they are far superior with much less money and time invested than their generously modified original SCXs and I fully agree. After driving my new SCX10 II, I knew I wouldn't drive my older SCXs anymore. They are that much better.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 03:47 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I completely agree with this! I have several scx10 rigs I have spent an insane amount of money on and the scx10 II kit I built for far less money outperforms them easily...its mostly due to the new axle housing design and better gear ratios in the trans and differentials. I will be converting my remaining original scx10's over to the new axles as finances allow..
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 07:31 AM   #7

Two for, two against, and one middle of the road...
I've never been one to "go with the flow". I still own a Windows phone and figure if it ain't broke. What is it about the new axles that make it far superior? Is it the one piece design? Gear ratio? Couldn't that be upgraded on the older SCX10? I'm so new to crawling I honestly don't know why one makes such a difference over the other.
Old 11-09-2016, 07:42 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

The axle gears are much smaller giving the axle housing more ground clearance. The axle gear ratios are also much lower which reduces torque twist to almost nothing.

The OG SCX10 axles can be upgraded with UD gears but that still won't get you to the ratio of the SCXII and you will still have the giant axle pumpkin reducing the ground clearance to fit those gears.

Like others have said, the SCXII with minimal mods will easily keep up with all but the most heavily modified SCX10s.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:47 AM   #9
RCC Addict

The other HUGE advantage the 10.2 offers over the 10.1 is the steering radius. It's a massive improvement on the old design.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:20 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I got back into crawling after a long hiatus and bought an SCX10.2 kit. When my son started showing interest in crawling, I built him a super cheap SCX10 with low budget in mind. Even though the SCX10.2 is a better vehicle, I'm still very surprised to find myself using his rig, and I have been spending all of the hobby money on making his better. It's kind of a beater vehicle, but man it still does VERY well after setting it up properly. At this point if I had to pick one it would be a tough call. I LOVE that the original SCX has a ton of aftermarket options for CHEAP. The SCX10.2 is very slow in getting the aftermarket up and running. I'm thinking that I will probably end up having the SCX10.2 as a shelf queen and light trail rig, and when rocks/water/melee come up, I will break out the OG SCX and give er hell!
1967Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:07 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCX10Newb View Post
Two for, two against, and one middle of the road...
I've never been one to "go with the flow". I still own a Windows phone and figure if it ain't broke. What is it about the new axles that make it far superior? Is it the one piece design? Gear ratio? Couldn't that be upgraded on the older SCX10? I'm so new to crawling I honestly don't know why one makes such a difference over the other.
Finally!!! Someone else with a windows phone! I love my Nokia Lumia Icon...and the 20megapixel camera ��
Old 11-09-2016, 10:15 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Typhoon View Post
I got back into crawling after a long hiatus and bought an SCX10.2 kit. When my son started showing interest in crawling, I built him a super cheap SCX10 with low budget in mind. Even though the SCX10.2 is a better vehicle, I'm still very surprised to find myself using his rig, and I have been spending all of the hobby money on making his better. It's kind of a beater vehicle, but man it still does VERY well after setting it up properly. At this point if I had to pick one it would be a tough call. I LOVE that the original SCX has a ton of aftermarket options for CHEAP. The SCX10.2 is very slow in getting the aftermarket up and running. I'm thinking that I will probably end up having the SCX10.2 as a shelf queen and light trail rig, and when rocks/water/melee come up, I will break out the OG SCX and give er hell!
I am just the opposite, I am running my scx10 II more and more..my original scx10 rigs are spending more time on the shelf..the custom truggies are the exceptions....when I crawl, scx10 II and custom truggies get 90% of my runtime now...
Old 11-10-2016, 07:40 AM   #13

Windows Lumia 822 baby! I'm a fossil.
Ahh, decisions decisions....It never ends with me. I think part of the issue is I am COMPLETELY new to crawling. We are talking previous owner of the T-Maxx. Total backyard basher. I don't know turn radius, bump steer, etc. For someone that has done this before, I am sure they notice the difference between the two rigs. As a true newb, would I notice any difference?
Old 11-10-2016, 07:48 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Windows Lumia 822 baby! I'm a fossil.
Ahh, decisions decisions....It never ends with me. I think part of the issue is I am COMPLETELY new to crawling. We are talking previous owner of the T-Maxx. Total backyard basher. I don't know turn radius, bump steer, etc. For someone that has done this before, I am sure they notice the difference between the two rigs. As a true newb, would I notice any difference?
If you never drove any truck before an original SCX10, you will be amazed at it's capability and be happy for a while. When you get a good feel for what a SCX10 is able to do then drive a SCXII, you notice the difference in performance quickly.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 05:25 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
That I want to buy the original SCX10 even though the new SCX10 II is now out? Seems like the new features are something I could just upgrade to get (I love to upgrade parts!) and I am such a newb at crawling I wouldn't know the difference. Upgrade parts are plentiful and it is a tried and true platform. Does that sound odd at all?
You're not weird. I don't own an Scx10 II (yet), but I totally believe that it performs much better than the original out of the box. BUT I understand that you like to tinker and experiment with upgrades, etc., so I see no reason why you should not get the original scx10 (just don't pay overprice for it). Even though it won't perform as well as the newer models, it's still FUN

The upgrade I have enjoyed the most are the solid SSD Diamond axles. They make the rig so solid, I think it will last forever...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
tjohanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:56 PM   #16
RCC Addict

The SCX10 II is the way to go if you are starting out right now. It steers better, has much more ground clearance, is better balanced, has chassis mounted servo, universals up front, and many other upgrades over the original.

The SCX10 II may cost a bit more up front, but its worth it. To get an original SCX10 just to steer as well as an SCX10 II, you will more than make up for the cost and you would still be stuck with an inferior truck with huge diffs, floppy wet noodles for links, pot metal diff gears, etc.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:40 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I rather build something for cheap and upgrade it as it breaks. Keeps the realism in it for me lol

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
LamChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:00 AM   #18
RCC Addict

I am a fan of the OG SCX10. Yes the new SCX10II is a beast out of the box but with just a little tuning a SCX10vI can be very competitive. Last weekend I scored a 2nd place finish out of 51 trucks, some were 10IIs, using a mostly stock SCX10vI. Only mods were RC4WD tires, metal links, battery relocation, and shorter HPI shocks. So I say go with what you gut wants, I like the 10II and will get one eventually but for now, going to stick with the old one. Upside is a used stock 10vI can be picked up for very cheap.
Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:43 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
I am just the opposite, I am running my scx10 II more and more..my original scx10 rigs are spending more time on the shelf..the custom truggies are the exceptions....when I crawl, scx10 II and custom truggies get 90% of my runtime now...
The only original SCX10 I have left is my Class 2 comp rig, but that is being replaced with a Toyzuki SCX10 II. We have a comp this Sunday and I will run the old one, but after that, it will be put back on trail duty.

My other trail rigs are IIs and after running them for a while, I have a hard time switching back to the original. I get so used to the extra clearance under the diffs and the better steering I find myself getting hung up and cursing a lot.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 03:07 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

It doesn't make you weird but you can put a lot more money into an OG scx to just end up with what an 10.2 is. The RTR version is really close to the OG but with the badass axels and bigger links, cms, ect. I have 2 old trucks with all the garb to make them steer better and when i bought a deadbolt as a loaner the steering immediately bugged me, you only have to drive a truck with upgraded steering once to want it really bad esp if you compete. The aftermarket will catch up really quickly with this badass rig! just my 2 cents.
bongsten is offline   Reply With Quote

Does it make me weird?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
This is way too weird kurtus Electronics 2 11-24-2011 05:47 PM
weird one crawlmaster18 Non Crawler RC's 4 07-14-2010 06:10 PM
Now this is very weird caymin last Chit Chat 12 03-07-2010 01:40 AM
how do you make stensils? can sombody make me one? BEELZEBOB Paint and Body 6 06-12-2009 06:20 PM