Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Godzilla: the SCX10 slow build.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2016, 01:34 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Godzilla: the SCX10 slow build.

So, I recently, finally, purchased an SCX10 Trail Honcho, used, with a jeep body. It has several upgrades that I am slowly learning about, and I want to learn more. I'm making this build thread to both consolidate its metamorphosis as well as post my ideas, or problems to learn.

So, the Rig came with a Roc412, BLE Pro and a savox servo, VP 8* knucks and WB8 shafts. The servo I stripped very shortly after purchasing and quickly replaced it with the same unit. I also quickly learned that I should have just researched and replaced the brass gears(or different brand?). Although, the old servos internals were corroding..
New servo and aluminum horn are running smoothly.

Also, it came with a Spektrum receiver that I placed in my parts box and replaced it with an FS-GR3F receiver for my GT3C radio(rig did not come with a radio) that so far has operated well.

Well, to get the thread started here are pictures of the Jeep, Godzilla, as he sat when I purchased her.
I did not care for how his electronics were laid out..

Basic grout terrain for it to rest on.

Hope y'all enjoy the rig and come back to see its updates.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Last edited by SurfinStud; 01-13-2017 at 09:13 PM.
SurfinStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2016, 01:49 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: First rig, Slow build!

Shortly after purchasing I had to change the body! I did not want to spend money yet because I dont know what body Godzilla will be, there are too many options!! So, I decided to hack up his existing body and I think I achieved some nice results. I love it!!

Also, cleaned up that lay out of the electronics. Feels a lot more organised now, probably not OCD friendly, but I'm not worried.

Any questions or words of encouragement please post away.
I am working on building my post count so I can also view the for sale section. Although, I don't find my knowledge adequate enough to join into other topics. Enjoy!

Last edited by SurfinStud; 01-13-2017 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:52 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Received my package from RPP today and after work I got busy on the front axle. Comparing the old to new, (wish I took pics side/side) the old 8 degree knuckles were worn out, the bushings shot and the axle case was cracked around the bearing for driveshaft. Although, the bearings seemed fine, but they all got replaced along with axle case, knuckles and bushings too.

Also, already in the spare parts bin from purchasing the rig I had and now replaced the 36/14 gears. They were suspects for a chattering noise on mild binds, I explain it as a tiny electric impact gun.. Although, I question if the cracked housing wasnt actually the cause of the noise..

Editing: I installed RC4WD steel wheels and their hex hubs, they fit the existing hex' on the truck but one wobbled even after I tightened the nut. It was simply(and stupid me didnt catch it quickly) was the axle's nut ran out of threads and wasn't making contact... I used a washer between the nut and wheel. All is fine now. Front end is tight all together.
Now to decide what tires to go with!

Last edited by SurfinStud; 01-03-2017 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:20 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Received an Amazon package a few days ago. it was earlier than expected. Ordered this on the 24th for $46.99 through the Zon. Free shipping from China, was for "expected delivery January 18th- February 4th" so I expect Febuary. Surprisingly, it was early! And a clean, unharmed box. So here it is, LNL is the brand if y'all are interested

Cons: the doors close using a tiny piece of plastic, when it wears out ill use magnets. tail lights are single bulb/ single lenses painted half white/red.. Lights in bumper and amber front lights are not ready for a bulb; need retrofit, wont be so straight forward .. Not thrilled with the soft rubber mirrors and antenna. Fenders are molded on. Wheelbase is too short; although, I anticipated this and wanted to modify the body in many different ways, length being one, considering a Brute Jeep. Hood does not open, neither does the trunk.. And Thats the best I can come up with.. lol

Pros: I think it looks good, scale; not a funny shape or oddball feature. Lots of parts can be removed for hand painting or modifying. It feels sturdy.
It was inexpensive.
I will modify post as I play with it some more and learn things.

Last edited by SurfinStud; 01-06-2017 at 02:25 AM.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:40 PM   #5

looks like there a lot of potential there........
RC DRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:24 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC DRVR View Post
looks like there a lot of potential there........
I agree, lots of potential. i purchased this far from what I want to create it into.. As long as I keep up with research and do everything cleanly, I think it'll all come out great.
Drivetrain is being "restored" to nice and tight components. New bearings and everything being lubed. Mechanically its heading in a good direction. Now just need to familiarize myself with going scale for the body and interior.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:03 PM   #7

Too bad they don't make a 4 door one of those.
Gunner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:04 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner1 View Post
Too bad they don't make a 4 door one of those.
I am surprised that is the case. Maybe someday.

I have been focusing on Godzooky, my 1/18th rc4wd based build and will likely not be cutting this body for several months. It will collect dust until then..
However, Godzilla, is running well. Very torquey with the dirt grabbers rather than the giant's BFG Baja KR2..
Here is a picture of Godzilla and Godzooky.

Last edited by SurfinStud; 01-13-2017 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:15 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfinStud View Post
I am surprised that is the case. Maybe someday.

I have been focusing on Godzooky, my 1/18th rc4wd based build and will likely not be cutting this body for several months. It will collect dust until then..
However, Godzilla, is running well. Very torquey with the dirt grabbers rather than the giant's BFG Baja KR2..
Here is a picture of Godzilla and Godzooky.
What color is that 1/18 gelande?
common rock crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:18 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by common rock crawler View Post
What color is that 1/18 gelande?
Perfect.

Oh, specifically? Rustoleum "Gloss Light Turquoise"

Godzilla: the SCX10 slow build. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Austin's Slow SCX-10 build Turned Slow Wroncho build austinc2099 Axial SCX-10 35 10-25-2018 09:38 PM
My slow low budget build 1.9 build krono7s 1.9 Scale Rigs 7 08-28-2014 04:59 PM
My rig is wayyyyy to slow fatguy7814 General Crawlers 15 12-19-2012 02:10 PM
Slow CC-01 Build TruckerBrad Tamiya XC/CC01 4 12-14-2010 07:22 PM