Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: SCX10ii axles vs XR mod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2017, 11:57 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default SCX10ii axles vs XR mod

I'm getting ready to build a new scx from the ground up but I'm unsure if I should use the new scx2 axles or if I should do the xr mod with some old axles in the parts bin. I like the clearance of the new axles. Do they get as much steering as the xr mod? Would I need the scx2 battery/servo mount for the cms or could I run something like the VP cms mount with the new axles? I read that the new shock hoops might be necessary for the panhard. Looking for some pros/cons or what your experience has been with this. Ill be slowly building this rig so I'm not too caught up in the cost side.
shiftauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2017, 12:39 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: SCX10ii axles vs XR mod

I am also curious about this. I saw a thread on the scx10 ii page where a guy put his new scx2 axles under his older class 1 scx for more scale appearance and better steering, etc. He then took his scx axles and did the wide xr mod on them and put them under the scx2.

I have been fighting the decision to just start ordering xtraspeed scx2 axle parts and building a second set of those axles for my street class or just trade axles over and doing the xr mod ending up on the scx2.

Price wise, for me it is cheapest to buy xtraspeed parts to build new axles vs buying everything for the xr mod to modify my older scx axles. But, I really like the idea of those scx2 axles under my class 1 original scx.
thurlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 07:19 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurlo View Post
I am also curious about this. I saw a thread on the scx10 ii page where a guy put his new scx2 axles under his older class 1 scx for more scale appearance and better steering, etc. He then took his scx axles and did the wide xr mod on them and put them under the scx2.

I have been fighting the decision to just start ordering xtraspeed scx2 axle parts and building a second set of those axles for my street class or just trade axles over and doing the xr mod ending up on the scx2.

Price wise, for me it is cheapest to buy xtraspeed parts to build new axles vs buying everything for the xr mod to modify my older scx axles. But, I really like the idea of those scx2 axles under my class 1 original scx.
Actually, it wasn't even XR-mod, just VP stage 1. Still, I had to budget for the parts as we know, VP isn't cheap.

OP, you can go with the 10.2 front shock tower, VP, or even the GCM panhard chassis mount. Same for the axle end. I had the GCM stuff on my Class 1, so I had to make custom panhards for both vehicles, leaving the GCM mount on the C1 chassis, and on what eventually became my C3 axle. You can see it just to the right of the tire. Not the greatest axle mount for looks, but functions just fine with big tires to get ground clearance.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Jeepy84; 01-28-2017 at 07:38 AM.
Jeepy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:26 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I'm in the process of putting the new SCX10ii VP curries under my SCX10 based Truggy. Need to work out links.

Last edited by Z0MB13; 01-29-2017 at 03:58 PM.
Z0MB13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 01:51 AM   #5

any update?
dtrans4ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:13 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I have a old set of D60's I cannot keep cvd pins in. So I am in process of swapping in 10II axles. Gearing(D60) is 14/87 (Transmission) with Underdrive rear (43/13 3.3:1), and Overdrive front (36/14 2.5:1) ring and pinion gears.

Ar44'sThe Universals provide tons more steering than the Cvd's and have lower gear ratios 3.75:1 (8/30) in the housings. plus the housings provide a lot more clearance. Parts availability is also a concern as the ax10 axles have been discontinued now. So no reason not to upgrade. In my opinion.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote

SCX10ii axles vs XR mod - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
scx10II axles compatability ?'s rc dreemer Axial SCX10 II 10 09-22-2016 01:29 PM