Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: scx10II axles compatability ?'s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2016, 09:36 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Question scx10II axles compatability ?'s

hi,
I am looking at buying a set of these new axles and wondering what they can work with in relation to the OG scx10. I am looking into if they can work with the scx10 chassis? is the driveline (drive shafts) interchangeable in relation to a OG scx10 trans? would the new driveline work with a OG trans or would I need the new trans as well? anyways I am wondering what would need to be handled if wanting to use the new scxII axles. I am looking at building a new rig & looking for more steering along with more durability over just stock scx10 axles....

thanks for time on this matter

rc dreemer
rc dreemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2016, 09:47 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: scx10II axles compatability ?'s

The frame is the same between the rigs and the rtr uses the OG ax10 trans. If you just want more steering do the xr mod.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:16 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

The biggest difference is the fact that the new style axles are pan hard/CMS only. Drivelines can be trimmed down to fit easily but going from axle mounted servo to CMS is a whole other ball of wax.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:10 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

WT,
thanks for the reply. i thought that i heard/read that the axles could not be used with the OG scx10 chassis hence my question(s) I am looking for more steering, but i thought if i was to spend the money that maybe these new axles would be as good & are a little cheaper than the XR mod... ? soooo ... the newer driveline (shafts) can connect to the ax/scx10 OG trans? (if i understand right).

screamer,
thanks for the reply. the CMS portion is not a big deal... but i do wonder if you "have to" utilize the panhard portion?

in general then do I understand that the scxII axles are able to be used with a OG scx10 chassis and can also use a ax/scx10 trans with them? (drive shaft compatable?)

thanks again for the responses.......

rc dreemer
Old 09-21-2016, 10:12 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Yes, the pinion on the axle, and the outputs on the old and new trans are all 5mm and are all compatible with Axial's WBHD driveshafts that come with the RTR and Kit versions of the new SCX10 II. The RTR comes with the old trans and the kit comes with the new trans. Everything is compatible.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:28 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

sceamer,
thanks for the reply..... nice!! that is what i was hoping. by chance does the new scxII trans "bolt on" to the OG scx10 skid? not a big deal as i will be drilling holes for for either one i choose to get, although i would like the new trans.... better right?

thanks again for the replies....
Old 09-21-2016, 01:37 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

the new trans doesn't bolt into the OG skid (the kit actually comes with 2 separate skids, one for the original trans, one for the new trans).

Whether it's better; opinions are divided. I like it myself, nice and low in the car. It is rather big though. The optional 2-speed is nice as well, although not everyone agrees on the use of such a setup.
IVIaarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:14 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Read and decide for yourself. I and several others hate the new transmission. Everyone likes the old trans just fine.

old gearbox vs new gearbox
Old 09-21-2016, 04:40 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

you can indeed put these new axles under and OG SCX10. The entire front half of the chassis was unchanged so anything mid point forward on the new SCX10 II can be retrofitted to the OG chassis. This means that you can easily convert your steering over to CMS and gain the benefits of the new axle.

Not only does the new axle steer better but the lower gear ratio and reduced pumpkin size is a night and day difference from the original AX10 axles used on the OG SCX10.

As for the transmission, some people like it, some people don't. the gear ratio in that transmission was specifically built around the axles so the power delivery is very smooth and if you do want to take advantage of having a 2 speed then it is the one to go with. As people have pointed out however you will need a different skid plate.

Can't go wrong with the original AX10 trans however either!
Matt.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:28 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Nice ...thank you all for the replies. I will get the new axles as opposed to more expensive option of xr mod on OG axles & then run the G6 trans with MIP shafts.

Thanks again for the time and responses.....��

RC dreemer����
Old 09-22-2016, 01:29 PM   #11

CMS combined with 4-link (or stock Y-link) will induce bump steer. If you want the best performance out of the CMS, you'll have to go with either the SCX10-II shock towers (which has the panhard mount built in), or fabricate a panhard mount of your own.
emilsolbat is offline   Reply With Quote

scx10II axles compatability ?'s - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brandon's SCX10II Nukizer Brandon Axial SCX10 II 57 01-02-2018 06:49 PM
1ton's scx10II 1tonblazer Axial SCX10 II 25 03-13-2017 10:51 PM
Tell me how! Scx10ii cherokee body NeedDirection Paint and Body 12 08-09-2016 12:08 PM