Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

View Poll Results: which SCX10 RTR and why
Falken 20 44.44%
Deadbolt 25 55.56%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Which SCX10 Falken vs Deadbolt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2015, 08:39 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Which SCX10 Falken vs Deadbolt

Assuming price is not a factor, which SCX10 would you choose and why. the Falken or the Deadbolt. The only difference I can see is the body and tires. Unless I am missing something, the Falken gives you a licensed body and better tires. Regardless of the price difference, am I missing anything else. Which would you pick, assuming both were the same price and why? Does the deadbolt offer anything that the Falken does not? Thanks for helping me clarify this.
jwalker497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2015, 08:57 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Which SCX10 Falken vs Deadbolt

Beauty is in the eye of the driver. Like you said, other then the bodys, tire rim, bumpers it's the same. Read Axial Web page on how they describe each rIg. Your question reminded me of a diffrent question, boxers or tightly White's. I have seen other people ask or give there 2 cents on your question. Get both and do a write up. I have a Falken, with old trades I have a deadbolt body and Axial Treps, I have switched them back and forth. Not a whole lot in how they drive.

Last edited by skywker51; 01-29-2015 at 09:01 PM.
skywker51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:18 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Same upgraded components to my knowledge and I like the look of the Falken better, if money's no object.
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:14 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I'll be picking up a deadbolt for my 3-1/2 year old in a couple weeks. Cause it's cheaper. This way I can take him to comps with me.
Tom95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:52 PM   #5

I got my son the falken jeep. I was impressed on how sticky the tires are.
freebird400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:01 PM   #6
I joined the Band!

The bumpers are the same, Poison Spyder front stinger and nothing on the rear. The wheels are the same, Walker Even non-beadlock. They both have the same 5 bucket light bar across the top as well. You're simply choosing between the tires and body/paint.

The Falken Wildpeak are 4.7" dia. x 1.5" wide and the Maxxis Trepador are 4.6" x 1.43", both are the same R35 compound.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 02:48 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I like the falkens body and tires better.

But if you ever put tires other than falken on the jeep it will look funny
OkinawaCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:06 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

The deadbolt also has single Springs on the shocks and the Falken has the 2 spring setup.
novarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:48 AM   #9
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by novarider View Post
The deadbolt also has single Springs on the shocks and the Falken has the 2 spring setup.
Yep, missed that one.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:34 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I bought a Deadbolt.

I knew I was going to change the body and wheels and tires. The deadbolt is cheaper, mostly, because Axial had to pay a bunch of money in licensing to Falken for the body logos and the falken tires and Jeep for the logos and the body. That's fine if I'm keeping the body, but if changing the body, I'm not paying licensing fees for a body that's just going to sit in the closet. Even if I wanted the same Jeep body, I would buy a fresh lexan body and paint it my colors, not Falken's.

The same goes for the tires. Even if the Falken tires are a better tread design, they are still RTR tires. RTR tires are always a harder compound than the after market tires. Axial sells R35 compound Falken tires, and they are much better than the RTR versions.

If you want a Jeep bodied G6 chasis, it would be cheaper in the long run, to buy a Deadbolt, the R35 Falken Tires and new Jeep G6 body.

As for the shocks, the single coil Deadbolt shocks work about as well as the two stage shock. However, there are currently lots of options for the two stage springs, and nothing available for the single spring. Both are plastic and will probably leak, so I would probably have to upgrade either shock to metal.
rcntncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:08 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric0424 View Post
I'm guessing you didn't bother to read what's above or check the Axial page before posting. Judging by your wildly inaccurate statements, you probably don't know the typical price difference between the Falken and Deadbolt either.

The shocks are identical on both models, #AX80030 bodies, AX80029 caps and reservoirs, AX80032 pistons/spacers etc. and AX31046 shock shafts. However, the springs are different, all of which are pretty much worthless. The aluminum Axial shock bodies (#AX30117, $18 for 4 bodies) help a lot in smoothing them out, but better shocks and springs are available.

The tires included with both are in fact R35 compound, same part number AX31143 (Jeep/R35 Falken) and AX12019 (Deadbolt/R35 Trepador) whether you buy them separate or with the RtR. For future reference, the Axial 1.9" Ripsaw are also R35, they're a soft/super soft compound similar to Pro-Line's M4 and/or Pit Bull's "Komp" compound.

Buying the Deadbolt for $300 then adding $48 for the same #AX31143 tires you get with the $350 Falken negates the $50 Deadbolt savings. Adding a cheap set of wheels ($23.20/set), a new body ($45) and paint (per color costs are $6.40 for Tamiya and $8.00 for Duratrax spray cans) will be well above what you thought you saved on the Deadbolt/Falken hybrid.

For those unwilling to research or crunch the numbers, that's about $429 to buy the Deadbolt, add the Falken RtR tires, new RtR wheels, the Jeep Wrangler RtR body and two cans of Tamiya paint.

If you wanted to buy the Deadbolt, keep the R35 Trepador tires, add a Jeep body and paint. It would still cost a little more (about $8.00) than the Falken, but not by much and you'll have a Jeep body painted to your liking and a spare Deadbolt body to beat to death.

You're not saving anything buying the Deadbolt and equipping it with the RtR Falken tires, new wheels and the Falken/Jeep body. You'll spend even more if you decide to get better beadlock wheels to go with those Falken tires or if you want more than a two color paint scheme. But you would have better wheels and a body you prefer in your choice of colors.
Wow, you are really great at reading specs and making your point in a tactless condescending manor. However, you totally missed my point. The point is that if you plan to make a lot of changes to the vehicle, you might not want to pay the extra $50 on the Falken.

I was going on old information about the tires. Previously, the R35 tires were available on the kit versions of the SCX10, but not the RTR, and the RTR tires were always a harder compound. They now say they include R35 tires on the RTR. That must be a new thing as a result of the HobbyCo change over. However, the Maxxis tires on my RTR Deadbolt don't feel as soft and sticky as the R35 Maxxis tires in my friend's Rubicon kit. Don't know why.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:32 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I was in the same place a while back. I went for the Deadbolt.

I had initially wanted to make an old pickup scaler. I didn't care for the extra money for basically the jeep body that I was going to lose anyway, so I thought the Deadbolt a better deal for me. Besides, I wanted the skull head guy.

But, since getting the Deadbolt and playing/upgrading it a bit, I find that I like the look of the Deadbolt body more and more. So, I decided to just keep it. I've added a few aesthetic touches as well as upgrades and I like this thing more everyday.

It has a kind of old school appeal that I like.

stopmojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:30 PM   #13
RCC Addict

The Maxxis Treps are poor on wet slippy surfaces or mud. So where I live i'd pick the other.
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:46 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

For me the look of the deadbolt just does it for me, not the color but the body style... I can't seem to wrap my head around spending more money on a body I prefer less and crappy shocks I plan on replacing anyways. I guess I can understand wanting the better tire setup but I seem to always switch out my stock tires and see what else is out there. but again this is all opinion.... also "stopmojim" nice hula girl on your rig!
WhatsInYourHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:10 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I love my deadbolt. Price did matter to me, first RC car ever. I like the deadbolt body as well.
raul shabinguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:18 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsInYourHead View Post
For me the look of the deadbolt just does it for me, not the color but the body style...
Yeah, I built mine as an old truck, now I want another Deadbolt. The more I look at it, the more I like the Deadbolt body. I would have to paint it or skin it, though.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopmojim View Post
I was in the same place a while back. I went for the Deadbolt.

I had initially wanted to make an old pickup scaler. I didn't care for the extra money for basically the jeep body that I was going to lose anyway, so I thought the Deadbolt a better deal for me. Besides, I wanted the skull head guy.

But, since getting the Deadbolt and playing/upgrading it a bit, I find that I like the look of the Deadbolt body more and more. So, I decided to just keep it. I've added a few aesthetic touches as well as upgrades and I like this thing more everyday.

It has a kind of old school appeal that I like.
I like your early Bronco looking Grill - Did you make it yourself?

I went with the Falken just because I'm a Jeep nerd...Eventually I'll probably get a Deadbolt, or at least the body.
Dusty_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:53 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

I am in the same predicament, As far as them being almost the same truck, except for the few different items mention earlier. (Tires, Shocks & Body)
I like that the deadbolt has a driver, I like the the jeep Falken body and the Falken tires. I don't dislike the deadbolt body, I would be happy with either one. If the Falken had a driver the choices would be easier.
Ive owned 3 SCX10 (2 Honchos & Dingo) vehicles in the past. Have nothing now. With the new models I want to get another. I am convinced in getting RTR, just upgrade as needed.
Well what ever I get will be great.
-Brian
BrianP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:53 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

The body looks so much better on the 'Bolt and I'm a Wrangler owner! The Falken paint scheme is just fugly IMO. Plus the 'Bolt has a driver and you can put on whatever head you like. Good luck.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 10:48 PM   #20
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker497 View Post
Does the deadbolt offer anything that the Falken
does not? Thanks for helping me clarify this.
The Deadbolt doesn't offer anything over the Falken, nor does the Falken offer anything over the Deadbolt. Once you look past the body, tires, shock springs and price tag the two appear to be identical.

Which SCX10 Falken vs Deadbolt - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scx10 Falken G6 build SoCal Crawlr Axial SCX-10 17 06-03-2015 05:07 AM
Deadbolt vs Falken G6 novarider Axial SCX-10 21 05-03-2015 06:48 PM
New scx10 falken gripe b00st3d-vr6 Axial SCX-10 14 10-24-2014 06:06 PM
Axial Falken SCX10 ? ngward79 General Scale Talk 46 04-28-2014 06:01 PM