Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: SCX10 axle upgrade, SCX10.2 vs SCX10.3 axles?!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2020, 10:12 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default SCX10 axle upgrade, SCX10.2 vs SCX10.3 axles?!

I’m thinking about selling my barely used Vaterra Ascender and maybe just using the funds that would be spent keeping that not in use towards other vehicles, like my WKs, MF-01x Jimny, and SCX10 that had started life as an early AX10 kit.

Motor wise, the HH motors would probably be a good choice for most of them, but I’m wondering about changing from the original AX10/SCX10 axles to either II or III axles while sticking with the original transmission and same basic layout I have now, though fresh screws, links, and ball ends may not be a bad idea to go with a new motors and maybe new axles.

Is there any way to keep the servo on the axle or would I have to go chassis mounted then rework my battery mount (it’s up front and I’ve been using full sized NiMH then LiPo packs in it) and would I be able to keep the MIP CVD driveshafts I put in it in 2012?

Here’s an ooooooolllllldd flip phone pic of it right after I converted it as a 2.2 rig with a B17 Betty body and before I converted it to the Proline XJ body and 1.9 Flatirons on HPI TC mesh wheels.

And here’s a pic of it from the last time I had it out in 2019.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2020, 06:00 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: SCX10 axle upgrade, SCX10.2 vs SCX10.3 axles?!

Just curious why do you want to swap the axles? Those OG ones are great minus the pumpkin being a little on the big side. There is an axle servo mount bracket ‘upgrade’ for the 10.2 axle if you wanted to keep it there after the swap.
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 06:08 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I actually looked into 'upgrading' my SCX10ii axles before I bought my Enduro - you're looking at $120 to $150ish for stock SCX1011 axles, double that for fancy ones. The complete builder's kit is $200 so why not just buy that and swap your electronics, body, wheels/tires over? Unless that SCX10 holds some sentimental value I'd be hard pressed to put that much money in it when the builder kits are so cheap.
Old 12-23-2020, 08:21 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

This truck is going to be a “Lifer” like my Stampede is, I don’t mind never ending projects since no good project car ever really is, so I don’t mind thriwing newer stuff at it if it makes the truck better. If I go with another scale truck, I would prefer going Traxxas, in all honesty, though I’d even have to think about that first.
Old 12-23-2020, 08:26 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJoe View Post
This truck is going to be a “Lifer” like my Stampede is, I don’t mind never ending projects since no good project car ever really is, so I don’t mind thriwing newer stuff at it if it makes the truck better. If I go with another scale truck, I would prefer going Traxxas, in all honesty, though I’d even have to think about that first.

10II kit still makes more sense to me though. You rob it of the axles and end up with spare links, tranny, shocks for the parts bin and can either get the servo mount bracket or convert to CMS. Basically you'd have a frame leftover but once you add up the $$$ it might be worth it. Just a thought. If I was going to revive my SCx10 I would definitely go that route before I would buy 10ii axles unless I could get them on trade or something.
Old 12-23-2020, 08:55 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
10II kit still makes more sense to me though. You rob it of the axles and end up with spare links, tranny, shocks for the parts bin and can either get the servo mount bracket or convert to CMS. Basically you'd have a frame leftover but once you add up the $$$ it might be worth it. Just a thought. If I was going to revive my SCx10 I would definitely go that route before I would buy 10ii axles unless I could get them on trade or something.
I could always throw the frame on eBay, I have a pile of Vaterra V-100 parts for what is now a dead vintage canyon car I was wanting to build from one I traded Maxx tires on RPM rims and a set of Slash 4x4 MIP 17mm hexes for. I had need thinking of getting a bunch of RPM’s goodies for it too.
Old 12-23-2020, 11:56 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I did a 10II axle swap under my UA Bronco.

Advantages are crazy steering out of the box, high pinion, and lower axle gearing.

Disadvantage is not as much Overdrive and with big tires, that steering makes things rub like crazy.

Overall a rbk for the axles is not a bad thing, if you are intrested, my Bronco axle swap is here: Ultimate Adventuring Bronco
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 12:28 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Guys. I’ll have some decisions to make here then.
Old 01-01-2021, 04:24 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

This is what I did with my aging SCX10 i. I replaced the axles with the killer SSD axles and moved to their CMS and used their steering. I get just as much steering as the SCX10.ii with arguable the best axles look wise made for the SCX10.

Untitled by JASON MCKIMMEY, on Flickr

I'm not sure if they are still making these housings and it is not the cheapest way to go but you won't be just another SCX10 ii.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 03:38 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I’m going to keep the stock axles for now, install the RPM shock hoops then get new screws, bearings, and motor for it instead.

Found that I do still have the original AX10 Scorpion chassis the running gear from this truck was attached to though and have thought about getting a SMT10 builders kit to rob the drivetrain and suspension from to get that chassis back in the rocks
Old 01-06-2021, 07:13 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I'd think putting new axles under it would ruin the charm... I still run 2 trucks with those old axles and they still wheel great. Drying up of parts support is the only thing that concerns me - I have a spare set of CVD's but they are getting harder to find.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:24 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
I’m going to keep the stock axles for now, install the RPM shock hoops then get new screws, bearings, and motor for it instead.

Found that I do still have the original AX10 Scorpion chassis the running gear from this truck was attached to though and have thought about getting a SMT10 builders kit to rob the drivetrain and suspension from to get that chassis back in the rocks
Not sure why but I’d really love to have an AX10. Way before my time and not sure why it was discontinued, seems to have a solid following still.

I like the servo on axle in my SCX10, not as pretty but sure works better.
Old 01-06-2021, 08:13 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I'd think putting new axles under it would ruin the charm... I still run 2 trucks with those old axles and they still wheel great. Drying up of parts support is the only thing that concerns me - I have a spare set of CVD's but they are getting harder to find.
Looks like the axle kits are still available, but have debated about getting a Hot Racing trans and put that in the SCX10 and put it’s trans back in the original chassis, maybe even with the axles too,
Old 01-07-2021, 02:26 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Well, not sure if this was a good idea or not..........

Found an eBay seller in Hong Kong with what is supposed to be a complete Bender Customs SWX chassis kit for $45 shipped...... it has been ordered......
Old 01-07-2021, 02:30 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Well, not sure if this was a good idea or not..........

Found an eBay seller in Hong Kong with what is supposed to be a complete Bender Customs SWX chassis kit for $45 shipped...... it has been ordered......
oh god, be prepared to wait for three months. I ordered a small battery connector out of China somewhere and i waited like 2 1/2 months for it
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 03:18 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
oh god, be prepared to wait for three months. I ordered a small battery connector out of China somewhere and i waited like 2 1/2 months for it
I’ve got plenty of projects in the mean time, this will be something I joked about 13 years ago and I should finish other vehicles first anyway.
Old 01-09-2021, 11:18 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Think I have my plan here now!
Decided to pull the trans and axles out of the SCX10 in question, install fresh bearings, and put them back with the AX10 Scorpion chassis they came with, then the II axle swap kit for a III, servo on axle kit (BPC’s mount/axle try’s kit is looking good for that), better steering servo that the 645mg that what has somehow survived the last 13 years of abuse so far, and one of the aftermarket SCX10/AX10/SMT10 transmissions in the SCX10 with fresh screws and motors for both.

So far as the SWX Chassis, I’ll explain that when I’ve got the resurrection projects done, the GF-01TR converted to a GF-01 and rebodied as a Lunchbox, a G6-01TR on hand and running........and hopefully have paint on the Clod and LB too

Last edited by BJoe; 01-09-2021 at 11:31 PM.
Old 02-18-2021, 05:34 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM74 View Post
This is what I did with my aging SCX10 i. I replaced the axles with the killer SSD axles and moved to their CMS and used their steering. I get just as much steering as the SCX10.ii with arguable the best axles look wise made for the SCX10.

I'm not sure if they are still making these housings and it is not the cheapest way to go but you won't be just another SCX10 ii.

We have three scx10 #1's in my collection. My original scx10, my sons dingo and my daughters original deadbolt. They are mostly stock except I have "brick" battery trays in them. I always wanted to buy them SSD axle cases but never did....I have two sets for the smt10 rear axle and LOVE THEM. We recently have gotten back in the hobby after a maybe two year break....I'm amazed HOW MANY PRODUCTS ARE NOW GONE! ssd axles are discontinued, reign grill inserts for the deadbolt and dingo are gone. Wheels and tires that were huge are now discontinued.
Basically I'm pissed I didn't just spend the money and buy the stuff I wanted instead of saying next week I will....now its past that and everything unwanted is now discontinued
SuperDutyScaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 08:14 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Yeah, I took a 5 year break when I initially got my SCX10 0G, Jeep Rubicon like yours. It just sat in the basement. Got back into it about last year when the pandemic hit and I was bored out of my mind. I too noticed that most everything is "gone". As models get discontinued so do parts as (after market) manufacturers don't make them anymore. They start making parts for the newer models. I bet you can find TONS of stuff for 2G and 3G models of SCX10.
Kingmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 12:08 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

I just bought some capera axles and added jato rod ends to the links I made for my old SCX 10 Deadbolt. In stock form it just wasn't fun to drive. Then added a Holmes 13t five slot motor. I really like the extended wheel base. It's just a trail rig and it's just a fun rig to drive. The VP hurst dig and cliffhanger body will be arriving in a few days.

Last edited by k goodrich; 03-28-2021 at 12:11 PM.
k goodrich is offline   Reply With Quote

SCX10 axle upgrade, SCX10.2 vs SCX10.3 axles?! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best scx10 Axle/Housing Upgrade and trans upgrade Rav3n Axial SCX-10 10 09-07-2019 09:47 PM
Axial SCX10 Falken Wrangler axle upgrade Harry Tzouvelis Axial SCX-10 2 11-29-2016 01:41 AM
BluemonkeyRC SCX10 Steering Axle Upgrade Kit Fourth Protocol Axial SCX-10 2 03-03-2016 05:28 PM