RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial SCX10 II (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx10-ii/)
-   -   Imthatguy builds an SCX10 II (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx10-ii/565411-imthatguy-builds-scx10-ii.html)

imthatguy 07-19-2016 08:47 PM

Re: Imthatguy builds an SCX10 II

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asuckaphish (Post 5536255)
Excellent build sir!

Thanks very much!

Well, cat's out of the bag. Vanquish is making what could probably be the best looking axle I've ever seen. Steve, Jim and Harley were kind enough to present me with a set of their new SCX10 II specific Currie axles at Axialfest. I've yet to mount them, but there's a couple of neat features I can go over.

1. The axle housings are all one piece. This level of machining is pretty incredible.
2. The shocks are now double shear mounts.
3. The top links mount to the diff cover, rather than the axle itself, this was done to keep pinion angles acceptable (I think).
4. The front c-hubs on the prototype are drilled and tapped, but production units will have a replaceable collar, so if you strip the hole, you don't have to scrap the whole housing. Smart!
5. The rear housing uses caps on the ends eliminating the need for a bearing mount ring.

Here's a pic. As these are prototypes, they're raw, but I guess they'll be anodized in a couple options. Cheers!

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...924/e6nrUc.jpg

SCREAMER 07-19-2016 09:04 PM

They look fantastic, thanks for sharing! Obviously very raw finish but you can see all the key design features and I'm excited.

bilinvic 07-19-2016 09:25 PM

Wow, those axles look great....did the big V happy to mention a price point?

BTW, your SCX10-II is spectacular.

Rodamis 07-19-2016 10:17 PM

Oh ya I'm buying those curries for my ascender lol. Fancy rig you did build there . Hurry vanquish take my money

luckster 07-20-2016 03:31 AM

Ok i will start hoarding my spare change and selling off some stuff. These axles will be AWESOME.

Szczerba 07-20-2016 07:57 AM

One of the best XJ's I have seen to date!

I probably shouldn't build anymore of anything after seeing this rig. Great work.

CM9000 07-20-2016 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imthatguy (Post 5536240)
really folks, drive it stock until something breaks before you change anything.

its that good of a rig imho. I like the way yours looks. its nice...

but I would have maybe made my own rear cage or would have found a way to use a wraith cage or exo cage maybe. just a thought. not dissing your rig.

just to ad.. I don't see a reason for there being a new vp case for the new axles.

I just got rid of mine though simply because I have axles already.

and it wont be your normal scx10 build either. still collecting parts.
"thumbsup"

Harley 07-20-2016 05:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Glad you are getting the chance to install the axles Matt, I'm really excited to see these hit the streets as the scale factor on these axles vs old SCX10 axles is insane.

The Jeep looked incredible at AF, great catching up again.

imthatguy 07-20-2016 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley (Post 5536975)
Glad you are getting the chance to install the axles Matt, I'm really excited to see these hit the streets as the scale factor on these axles vs old SCX10 axles is insane.

The Jeep looked incredible at AF, great catching up again.

I couldn't be happier with the fit and finish despite being a prototype. They're a kickass looking axle and so gosh darn small. Everything worked out great, thanks again Josh! Thanks for the compliments on the Jeepspeed, I had a shit-ton of fun putting it together and driving it at AF.

Front axle installed and looking cherry.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...923/vDbiYO.jpg

ScaleFreak93 07-20-2016 06:01 PM

Yup. Gonna need a set of those just for the beauty of them. Also gonna need a body done up right by you :mrgreen:

SCREAMER 07-20-2016 06:14 PM

Holy cow those axles look sweet.

new2rocks 07-21-2016 04:13 AM

Not sure how you're going to top that paint job, Matt. And what a difference the smaller pumpkins make with the Curries. I never considered the old ones because of bulk, but these new ones are very tempting... "thumbsup"

imthatguy 07-21-2016 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScaleFreak93 (Post 5537002)
Yup. Gonna need a set of those just for the beauty of them. Also gonna need a body done up right by you :mrgreen:

Heh, thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCREAMER (Post 5537008)
Holy cow those axles look sweet.

Yep.

Quote:

Originally Posted by new2rocks (Post 5537213)
Not sure how you're going to top that paint job, Matt. And what a difference the smaller pumpkins make with the Curries. I never considered the old ones because of bulk, but these new ones are very tempting... "thumbsup"

Oh, I'm sure I can top myself. Still a lot of ideas swirling around in my head for the next one.

Wanted to share a couple of internal details. I got the new VP lockers and replaced the stock ones. I don't drive my rigs hard, but it's always nice to have insurance.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...922/AzeAfX.jpg

Here's a look at the bearing caps that VP will include with these axles. They're the revised kind that you load the bearing into. Clamps the holder down, not the bearing. Much strength and hold without any worry of damage to the bearing from pinching it. Smart.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...922/A9oUNT.jpg

luckster 07-21-2016 08:22 AM

Okay....... I will go ahead and ask the question we all need the answer too. :shock: What will a set of these gorgeous axles cost to make any SCX10 ii stand up and scream BADASS?
I have a set of VP V2 axles under my Bomber and love them. So I can already hear the echo in my bank account where the money use to be. :lmao: Hands down Vanquish makes the best. "thumbsup"

imthatguy 07-21-2016 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luckster (Post 5537281)
Okay....... I will go ahead and ask the question we all need the answer too. :shock: What will a set of these gorgeous axles cost to make any SCX10 ii stand up and scream BADASS?
I have a set of VP V2 axles under my Bomber and love them. So I can already hear the echo in my bank account where the money use to be. :lmao: Hands down Vanquish makes the best. "thumbsup"

Harley and I didn't discuss pricing I'm afraid - that's above our pay grade! ;-)

Stoph 07-21-2016 05:25 PM

So are the front c-hubs built into the axle now on those VP axles? They look awesome and strong :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

imthatguy 07-21-2016 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoph (Post 5537615)
So are the front c-hubs built into the axle now on those VP axles? They look awesome and strong :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yep, and production units will have replaceable collars in case you strip one. Really smart engineering.

Harley 07-22-2016 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luckster (Post 5537281)

We're doing our best to keep the cost of these very appealing, especially since you won't have to buy C-hubs or lockouts for these axles.

Natedog 07-22-2016 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imthatguy (Post 5516204)
...Also, I built the axles. I'm truly amazed at the reduction in size over all.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...923/Du69ZS.jpg

Even compared to an aftermarket option from SSD for the OG SCX10 axle, which greatly reduced the sizing overall, these new ones are downright miniscule. Sure, the Ascender axles are nearly the same, but there's something more accurate about the way these look to me. Plenty of strength too. This feels like new plastic. Very impressed.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...923/HZVc21.jpg

I really like the hi-pinion hypoid gears, smaller pumpkins etc, but Axial should have molded the lower link mounts as part of the housing, this would have been stronger, cheaper and more scale than two screw heads through the axle housing ala Wraith. This is also where they break when run hard.

Distinct front and rear axle housings would make it so that the rear axle tubes look more scale and use little short bearing retainer caps at the ends like Vaterra. The axle tubes could then be the same small sweet scale diameter all the way to the ends. "thumbsup"

Nice build though, love the blue Jeep XJ body with cut out rear and Honcho cage and spare tire and lights back there!

luckster 07-22-2016 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley (Post 5538083)
We're doing our best to keep the cost of these very appealing, especially since you won't have to buy C-hubs or lockouts for these axles.

Hey good to hear from youJosh. 8) I'm sure with the new design and no weak joint where the Chub would be this will not only be light but super strong. And will be worth the money. "thumbsup"