Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Thinking about an scx10 II, just a few questions...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2016, 01:48 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Thinking about an scx10 II, just a few questions...

Hey guys, just have a few questions about the scx10 II.

How is the kit holding up for everyone?
Any common failures to look out for?
Any out of the box upgrades that are desperately needed?
Is it going to be like my yeti and need about a grand before it runs right? (Biggest worry lol)

I've watched a number of videos and the truck looks very promising. I do love my Yeti to bits but I would like something a bit less crazy and more scale some days.

Thanks!
Ty1330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2016, 02:51 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Thinking about an scx10 II, just a few questions...

Get it, mine has held up great, not a single issue with it. Very capable out of the box. The only upgrade i would do is to use bead locks instead of the glue on wheels.
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:45 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

The stock foams are pretty decent, but my only upgrade was to CI foams. The entire truck is brilliant. Don't change anything until you've had some time with it.
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 06:21 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Awesome, love to hear it is a solid truck. My biggest gripe with most of the axials I've ran were with them spitting the stock driveshafts... Ax10... scx10 (had for just a few short weeks unfortunately)... yeti... If no one has been having no immediate issues it's a huge sigh of relief lol. It's all fine and dandy to fix a rig here and there but some times I'd love to just have a no-breakage run if you know what I mean.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:54 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I built mine up, used some electronics that I had from a previous build and am loving it so far. Only upgrade over kit was a set of Vanquish 1.9 Method 105 wheels (did not care for the idea of glue on wheels) and Pitbull Growler Tires with CI 2 stage foams. I gave the BF Goodrich tires a shot with the CI foams and did not care for them. In all fairness to the BF Goodrich tires, I may not have had them tuned right or may not have given them proper time to break in. I also never ran the stock tires with the stock foams. Others seem to like the stock tires just fine. Matter of opinion and experience, I suppose.
ebbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:05 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Not a single problem with mine yet. Like most people I ditched the kit wheels and tires for some thing better. Went with axial beadlocks and rc4wd IROKS. Couldn't be happier with this truck. I can finally afford to work on the scale details, since I don't have to dump money into any "mandatory" upgrades, like other models have. I know the transmission flip is popular thing, but I don't really think it's necessary.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Waitwhatsthat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:32 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

My only complaint, and others have said this as well, but we've found parts missing in the baggies. Luckily it's just been stuff like bearings and bolts, but just be warned. The manual is also wrong in a few spots.

Otherwise, it's been great. I have a Trophy Truck as well, and like your Yeti, have dumped a ton of money into it. The SCX10-2 on the otherhand, just has cheap-ish accessories for fun. I run 2s with a 30T motor, which crawls fine, and has enough speed that I don't get bored. The Tekin setup I got was around $150 for the motor and esc. So you will have to dump some money into that, and possibly a radio (at least a receiver), but that's really all you need to hit the trail.
yellowdatsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:01 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

You'll love the new SCX10 II, it's nothing like a Yeti. It performs well, is very durable, doesn't need 90% aftermarket replacement to become reliable, looks awesome, and won't get high centered on a pebble.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:13 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

pretty much what everyone else has said, couple missing items an directions kinda vaque, but no complaints here, had mine for a month been running it almost every day, been thinkin of picking up another one, I like it that much.
fomoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:41 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
You'll love the new SCX10 II, it's nothing like a Yeti. It performs well, is very durable, doesn't need 90% aftermarket replacement to become reliable, looks awesome, and won't get high centered on a pebble.
Poor Yeti. I've got like, three of them in various states (original, TT), and they're pretty fun, but SCX10 II and Bomber of my top faves.
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:56 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

My kit came from the second batch and so far I haven't had any missing parts. I'm going a little slow because of work and kids and whatnot but the axles and transmission are complete so mine had all the bearings, correct links, and so far no missing screws. Maybe I just go lucky but hopefully that's an indicator that they worked out the QC issues.
crockins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:33 PM   #12
RCC Addict

I got tired of my Yeti pretty fast...luckily before I had a ton of money into it.

I built my SCX10 II straight by book to see how it did. The only mod I did was some ebay beadlocks because I dont like glue ons. In stock form it is well balanced and the performance is impressive. I prefer a bit of weight up front so I added a set of Beef Patties to the front wheels and took it out this weekend. I was able to make it up some obstacles that several of the more built rigs either couldnt make or really struggled.

The body is huge and the bumpers stick out a lot. They hang up quite a bit so I'll be swapping out the front one very soon. I have a spare OG SCX trans sitting here and I may stick it in to see how it does. I'm sure that would help get a little weight lower and farther forward. I'm also halfway tempted to flip the trans around and try it that way too.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:19 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

mmm, beadlocks, need those on mine. Since weight isn't an issue. On my SC5M they would weigh the truck down too much.
yellowdatsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:21 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
The body is huge and the bumpers stick out a lot. They hang up quite a bit so I'll be swapping out the front one very soon. I have a spare OG SCX trans sitting here and I may stick it in to see how it does. I'm sure that would help get a little weight lower and farther forward. I'm also halfway tempted to flip the trans around and try it that way too.
One of the best things you can do to the new SCX10 II is install a new body and/or bumpers that don't hang out from the wheels an unnecessary 2 or more inches. I completely understand why they chose the body they did and I actually love the way it looks in some of the builds I've seen so far but for me, performance always comes before aesthetics and since I love the Spawn body anyway, it was a very easy choice for me to make before I even got mine assembled. That rear extended bumper mount was pretty funny to me.
Attached Images

Last edited by SCREAMER; 07-20-2016 at 04:23 PM.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:22 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for all the response! I can definitely say that once my Yeti gets a few other goodies I will definitely be ordering an SCX10II now! It will be so nice to pick and choose if I want to just blast over everything or take my time and go technical on lines haha Been watching a number of videos and the new setup looks waaaaaaay better than the previous scx10 (the steering alone looks like a huge improvement!). I cant wait, thanks again!
Old 07-21-2016, 11:48 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

I agree with everyone else very little needed, I would say body and wheel/tire setup would be your only major changes for a while.

As for durability, I just got done beating the crap out of mine at Axialfest and it took everything I could throw at it with zero issues. They built a very solid platform to work with. The axle clearance is pretty awesome too
Lv6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 12:05 AM   #17

Also beat the crap out of it at axialfest the only things I changed were the shocks wheels and tires. Went with some boomracing type-g piggies, method wheels Voodoo silver KLR's. 725 gates would have done more, but had family with me. Also running hitec WP servo (going to change to savox 1210sg WP), 27t HH motor, cheap dynamite ESC from ascender all on 3S. It was unstoppable. One issue I had was my c-hub twisted on the splines, loosened up screw twisted back into position and tightened screw a little more back on the trail. No more issues all weekend.
rccrawler75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 05:37 PM   #18

Great out of the box, Beadlocks, Shocks
Better rod ends would be good too mine are worn out already
goatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:35 AM   #19

Have you had any issues with the transmission/spur slop I've read about?
Kronblom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:32 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

I have about 6 packs thru mine with no issues with trans or spur slop...
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thinking about an scx10 II, just a few questions... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thinking about getting a twin hammers, have some questions theTman Vaterra Twin Hammers 16 04-23-2014 12:31 PM
Thinking of buying a Clod. Have questions Jsouza1980 Tamiya Clod Buster 7 02-17-2013 09:16 PM
thinking about getting one but a few questions? nick84 Tamiya XC/CC01 4 05-19-2011 06:40 AM
Thinking about doing a Berg but have questions tubed-n-lubed EnRoute Berg 38 04-07-2009 03:13 PM
Thinking about getting a CC Mamba Max, but have some questions?? vp6799 Electronics 40 04-16-2008 09:07 PM