Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Shock upgrades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2016, 07:10 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Shock upgrades

I am new to this crawling world. Right now I have a Bomber that I built just to play with until I can get a SCX 10 II that will be on back order for the next seven years. I have read a lot about Axial shocks leaking. What are some good upgrade options? Will Traxxas Big Bore shocks fit? Are Proline shocks THE most desired? I am still learning so I will probably not notice the performance end of things yet. I just really hate messing with shocks and especially leak prone ones.

Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
kkipp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2016, 07:19 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Shock upgrades

Same, I have both mentioned and bought gmade transitions for my x2.. I see guys recommending traxxas o rings I think and green slime. I may not be exactly correct.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
jwall046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:38 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Leaks are tough to avoid on a lot of the shocks available and Traxxas 2362 X Rings are the best way to prevent this on other brand shocks. ProLines are great but in my experience can be just as prone to leaking as any others. Green slime helps avoid Knicks to the O rings during assembly that can lead to a leaky shock but can do nothing to stop a leaky shock from continuing to leak. Traxxas big bores do fit either SCX10 version with ease and are incredibly smooth and mostly leak free. I've learned to wrap the top cap threads with Teflon tape to ensure a perfect seal. The only absolutely leak free shock I've ever had has been Kyosho velvets but they are hard to find and are sometimes as much as $50-$60 a pair. Best advice I can give is to get 2 sets of Traxxas 2661 (3.75 inches long) or 2662 (4 inches long) for less than $20 shipped per pair and I think you'll be happy with them. Axial 14x70mm and 14x54mm springs fit them perfect. I'd suggest picking up a pair of black, purple, and orange springs if you're keeping the weight around 5-6 pounds RTR. Heavier than that, adjust accordingly.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:38 PM   #4
TSK
Shelf queen

SCX shocks leak because they have too much travel. As the shock compresses, the piston and shaft displace more oil than the shock body can handle, and thus they start to leak. If you notice, the RTR scx's came with a large black plastic external shock limiter. The use of this shock limiter prevents this from happening.

But alas, everyone wants more travel, and they remove the external limiter, and then get leaks.

So if you don't want leaks use the external limiter and properly bleed your shocks.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:17 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

In theory, what you said is true. In actuality, the stock shocks leak because they are very poor quality and have very loose tolerances. I ran those limiters you mentioned on my stock deadbolt and they leaked from the kitchen table where I unboxed it until I replaced them with Traxxas big bores. Emulsion shocks like these don't have to leak because of the design. They do leak because of the lack of quality.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:00 PM   #6
I joined the Band!

I use G Made XD shocks on all my crawlers including my new SCX10-2. They have never leaked and are super smooth and adjustable.

Gmade XD Piggyback Shock 93mm (2)