Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Toyota Truggy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2017, 04:48 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Toyota Truggy

So this is what 1.55 SSD wheels (silver) wrapped in 1.55 Pitbull Growlers looks like compared to 1.9 SSD Trail Beadlock (black) wrapped in Proline BF Goodrich AT's.

There really isn't much difference between the two. OD on 1.55's are 4.19 versus OD of 4.35 on the 1.9's. I could go either way, but since I just bought the 1.9 SSD Trail Beadlocks I'll just use those.

So... I'll need to trim more of the fenders and/or explore a limiter for up travel on the shocks.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
ebbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2017, 05:25 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbet View Post
....still a little concerned about the size of the tire and the clearance issues I'm sure I'll be having. I'll continue to play with it before I give up on them, but I've also considered the idea of 1.55 wheels and tires and trying to keep the overall tire diameter at 4.19 or less. We'll see. It continues to be a work in progress.
Yes, go with some smaller 1.9 tires or 1.55s, looking great otherwise!

SSD 1.55s look great on there, maybe some little up travel limiters don't cut too much of that beautiful Yota hardbody.

Last edited by Natedog; 08-17-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:25 PM   #23
Pebble Pounder

There really doesn't look to be too much of a difference. I might have to consider going the 1.55 route for purposes of clearance etc. Thanks for posting pics of that ebbet.

Last edited by THX_138; 09-05-2017 at 09:32 AM.
CR4NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:07 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

the 1.55 does look more scale if that is what you are after
1fox2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:51 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Yes, go with some smaller 1.9 tires or 1.55s, looking great otherwise!

SSD 1.55s look great on there, maybe some little up travel limiters don't cut too much of that beautiful Yota hardbody.
Thanks, Natedog!

I'm thinking I might go with the Pitbull Braven Ironsides once they become available. They have an OD of 4.19 which is the same as the 1.55 Pitbull Growlers shown in the photos above. This combined with an up travel limiter should get the job done.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:53 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fox2go View Post
the 1.55 does look more scale if that is what you are after
I do kind of like the look of the 1.55's but I'm OK with the 1.9's on there. Besides, I just bought the 1.9 SSD Trail Beadlocks specific for this build. Might as well use them!
Old 08-18-2017, 05:29 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

really nice build! where did you get the body mounts for the mojave cab? i like how they bolt on to the chassis rails

Last edited by THX_138; 09-05-2017 at 09:33 AM.
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:35 PM   #28
Pebble Pounder

Default Toyota Truggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
really nice build! where did you get the body mounts for the mojave cab? i like how they bolt on to the chassis rails

If I'm not mistaken those are the mounts that come with the smf cages. I believe he also sells the mounts separately.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:09 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Thanks!

I got the cage and body mounts second hand. But as CR4NK states, I believe they come with the cage. I'll defer to CR4NK's knowledge about selling the body mounts separately. Based on the website it looks like that is an affirmative.

http://smfrcworks.webs.com/products-page-one

Old 08-19-2017, 07:40 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

So I think I am going to forego cutting the body anymore than I already have. Too many people I talk to suggest not cutting "that beautiful body"!

So, I put some limiters in the front shocks. A half inch of black fuel tubing does the trick. Once I get the Pitbull Braven Ironside tires, I'll see if any more adjustments are necessary. Might be able to use my 1.55 Pitbull Growlers in the meantime for testing and fitment since the OD is the same.

Also, I picked up some Beef Patties for added weight down low. They fit perfectly and look pretty trick through the SSD Trail Beadlocks.

Outside of that, really haven't done too much else. Gotta figure out what I wanna do next. Thinking I need to figure out if I wanna use the half cab or full cab back. The full cab back will require a lot of modifications due to the bulky center trans of the SCX2. Once that is completed I can start painting. Still can't decide on a color. Was thinking a light blue with red Yota graphics. Might be something different. If anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears!

Last edited by ebbet; 08-19-2017 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:13 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Just test fit the interior...it fits! I was shocked considering the size of the trans. Now,vwhen I put my full size 5200 3S better in, it's a little tight. I might need to make some adjustments to that somehow. Otherwise I'm very happy!

Old 08-19-2017, 08:18 PM   #32
Pebble Pounder

Looking good ebbet! I'm interested to see which cab back you choose and how you mate it to the truck.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:10 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

I like this look. The old Ironman Stewart look.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:35 AM   #34

Quote:
Thanks!

I got the cage and body mounts second hand. But as CR4NK states, I believe they come with the cage. I'll defer to CR4NK's knowledge about selling the body mounts separately. Based on the website it looks like that is an affirmative.

SMF RC WORKS - Products Page One

Thanks for posting that link! I didn't know about smf!

I'm seriously impressed that the interior fit over that tranny!

That look is great isn't it! I'll bet you can one up it though!
Fluxit9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:42 AM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluxit9 View Post
Thanks for posting that link! I didn't know about smf!

I'm seriously impressed that the interior fit over that tranny!

That look is great isn't it! I'll bet you can one up it though!
I was testing fitting the interior completely expecting I was going to have to hack it up. Imagine my surprise when it fit without modification!!! A nice surprise, for sure.

I could do the Ironman Stewart look or simply borrow the theme and use difference colors. Not sure if I want to go that route or just go with a simple paint job and use the Yota graphics like in the link below.

Gear Head RC 1/10 Scale TOY Vinyl Graphics Kit - Red
Old 08-20-2017, 09:59 AM   #36
Pebble Pounder

Default Toyota Truggy

Quote:
I was testing fitting the interior completely expecting I was going to have to hack it up. Imagine my surprise when it fit without modification!!! A nice surprise, for sure.

I could do the Ironman Stewart look or simply borrow the theme and use difference colors. Not sure if I want to go that route or just go with a simple paint job and use the Yota graphics like in the link below.

Gear Head RC 1/10 Scale TOY Vinyl Graphics Kit - Red

Personally, I really love the ironman Stewart theme. When you see it you know its a TOY. For mine, I plan to keep it basic. One solid color.

Ebbet, are you gonna use the front corner/side markers? I've seen plenty of hiluxes which dont have them and just had a decal over the holes. On the other hand I've seen many that had the actual corner markers. I've thought about just using some aves apoxie sculpt to plug the holes then sand smooth.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:19 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR4NK View Post
Personally, I really love the ironman Stewart theme. When you see it you know its a TOY. For mine, I plan to keep it basic. One solid color.

Ebbet, are you gonna use the front corner/side markers? I've seen plenty of hiluxes which dont have them and just had a decal over the holes. On the other hand I've seen many that had the actual corner markers. I've thought about just using some aves apoxie sculpt to plug the holes then sand smooth.
Yes, I do plan on using the side markers. I personally like all of the little details like that. I know some like the idea of not using the side markers and keeping the body free of things that might get hung up on the rocks. I can appreciate that.

Old 08-20-2017, 03:09 PM   #38
Pebble Pounder

Default Toyota Truggy

Quote:
Yes, I do plan on using the side markers. I personally like all of the little details like that. I know some like the idea of not using the side markers and keeping the body free of things that might get hung up on the rocks. I can appreciate that.

Nice! I feel the same way. I prefer to have them for this particular body as well.

I bought a set of the "plastics" that are supposedly for the tamiya hilux but I'm not sure if I have everything I need. I'm not sure the lenses for the side markers are the ones that fit in the holes on the body.

This is the set I bought. Is this the one you are going to use? If so I'll be paying attention to how you add those as well. If not, I would like to know which ones you will use.

Then I see these ones everywhere. They look to have some silver/chrome around the lens. I dont know where to get em though. The pic are from a build thread in the uk in which someone uses a kit for the build. If they only come in the kit it's a wash (for me anyway). Boooooo

Last edited by CR4NK; 08-20-2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:21 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR4NK View Post
Nice! I feel the same way. I prefer to have them for this particular body as well.

I bought a set of the "plastics" that are supposedly for the tamiya hilux but I'm not sure if I have everything I need. I'm not sure the lenses for the side markers are the ones that fit in the holes on the body.

This is the set I bought. Is this the one you are going to use? If so I'll be paying attention to how you add those as well. If not, I would like to know which ones you will use.

Then I see these ones everywhere. They look to have some silver/chrome around the lens. I dont know where to get em though.

Yes, those are the light lenses I used. Those are for the round headlight grill. There is another set of plastics you'll need. Maybe you already have them, though. It's the chrome parts tree with door handles and LED holders. For the side markers you'll need to screw on the chrome bits (circled in red) and then glue the light lenses to it. Hopefully I'm not telling you something you already know!

Old 08-20-2017, 03:24 PM   #40
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Yes, those are the light lenses I used. Those are for the round headlight grill. There is another set of plastics you'll need. Maybe you already have them, though. It's the chrome parts tree with door handles and LED holders. For the side markers you'll need to screw on the chrome bits (circled in red) and then glue the light lenses to it. Hopefully I'm not telling you something you already know!

No way! You are correct ebbet, I don't have that parts tree. I did not know that (in best Johnny Carson voice) lol. Thanks brotha! That does explain alot. I have been wondering what other parts I was missing and that shed some serious light on it.

Toyota Truggy - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2.2 Toyota truggy.... mtnbker 2.2 Scale Rigs 2 01-08-2015 06:30 AM