Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Building advice/tips Cherokee Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2018, 07:09 AM   #1

Default Building advice/tips Cherokee Kit

Hi, I know over time I came across tips that people learned when building this kit but I have no idea where all those random threads are.

For example there was mention of part of the instructions that are wrong.
Someone made a great suggestion of buying a SS screw kit and build it new with SS hardware.

Looking for things like this to watch out for, wish I had know when, now you tell me kind of stuff.

Thanks so much
Mike
skyjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2018, 07:37 AM   #2

Default Re: Building advice/tips Cherokee Kit

The spacers on a shaft in the gearbox is incorrect in the instructions. As long as you know to keep an eye out for it, its easy to figure out which one it is and what is the correct spacer.

The only other thing I did with my kit was to build it with Traxxas Revo and Traxxas Jato rod ends since I heard that the Axial ones wear out easily. Since the Revo rod ends are too short and the Jato ones are too long, you can cut the Jato ones a little short with a Dremel and combine with the Revo ones to get the stock lengths. This added about 30 minutes to the build and cost less than $20.

You also may want to think hard about the stock wheels and tires. Since they are glue-on, its very difficult to take them off if you wanted to add some beadlock wheels. Since wheels and tires are so expensive, its kind of nice to upgrade the wheels first and the tires later, but you have to have un-glued tires to mount on the new wheels.
DangerousDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:51 AM   #3

Thanks Dan,
I think the shim thing is what I was thinking about. You would think by now they would have fixed it?

Already bought a set of beadlocks !!
skyjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:22 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Good move with beadlocks. I was terrified as they sounded really complex and not novice friendly. Couldn't be more wrong. The good stock tyres don't deserve gluing to dull plastic rims. The weight you get off steel wheels is a great plus.

I'd defo recommend installing the roof rack as my kit bodyshell was v weak at the tail - it cracked during handling while painting. The roof rack gives you somewhere to grab the shell one handed and adds a massive amount of rigidity.

The instructions need careful study, esp with the axle links, and use common sense. Dry fit stuff, test everything before mounting and take your time.

Cutting out the grill hole was the job which vexed me most. What a swine. But worth it to mount the full grill moulding instead of a lame ass sticker.

It was my first but the std of engineering impressed me greatly.

Electrics are a personal choice but remember that the kit uses a different transmission to the RTR when exploring gearing stuff.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:02 PM   #5

A few things I learned from my build - Invest in a good set of metric hex drivers (the MIP brand, for example). Make sure you mesh the pinion and spur gear correctly. Ditto what others suggested on getting beadlock rims.
ScottDFW is offline   Reply With Quote

Building advice/tips Cherokee Kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Building the 10.2 Kit, any tips to consider before building HumboldtEF Axial SCX10 II 7 10-25-2017 03:41 PM
Dingo Kit - My first build. Any tips/advice? What mods are worth doing? LeadFootCaliKiid Axial SCX-10 2 01-06-2014 03:51 PM
Building a jk tips and tricks? bayareaaxial General Scale Talk 6 12-01-2010 08:01 AM
Building a scale ax-10 and need tips celicaboy Newbie General 5 05-05-2008 05:46 PM
need tips for building aircruiser Newbie General 21 08-25-2007 01:57 AM