Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: OS (Re)builds an SCX V2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2018, 07:08 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default OS (Re)builds an SCX V2

I haven't jumped onto the II train since I have so much time and $$ wrapped up in my V1's. I was offered a local trade on one of my rigs for sale and though I wasn't looking to add any more rigs to the stable right now, I decided what the heck - and here it is.

I'm not sure what happened to my "before" pics, but they got lost somewhere. Truck was a bone stock II kit with a questionable paint job and very little run time. Came with SSD bumpers front and rear, a 1080 ESC, 27t motor and Hitec servo. Looks like it was run once....barely any scratches anywhere. Not a bad trade!

Not sure what happened with the body, but it was terribly flared out on the sides - stuck out past the sliders. I was looking for a clear Cherokee to replace it .... I really like the look of Cherokees in general, and I think Axial nailed the body on this one. Plus I wanted to reuse the SSD bumpers that came on it but of course clear bodies are nowhere to be found...so I went a bit different route. But more on that later.

First off, I started tearing the rig apart to check the build and add some goodies I had picked up. The PO used red threadlock everywhere, so some of the screws had to be drilled/cut out. Not fun. Plus, the parts were all twisted off the sprues and had the little nubs all over. I HATE that! Started with the axles. Tore them down and started adding parts...

Everything looked good inside, so I left the internals stock for now. Since the RC fund actually had some cash in it for once, I kinda splurged... Went the SSD route with the Diamond pro axles cases front and rear. I like some weight on my rigs - just think a heavier truck behaves more realistically out on the trail and the Diamonds have some nice heft to them. Plus they look killer. Added the brass knuckle weights to them up front. Everything fit perfectly, very happy with the setup. Forgot to order the link mounts though, got an aluminum set on the way.

Decided to give the stock Icons a shot. I've had good luck sealing up the plastic ones, figure the aluminum bodies should hold up even better. Since the parts were all just twisted off the sprues, the shocks were super sticky and of course had very little oil in them....most of it was on the bottom of the shock and the axle.

Got them apart, cleaned and trimmed all the offending nubs off everything and started reassembly. Green slimed the shafts and o-rings, and tried something different on the threads. Usually I teflon tape the threads top and bottom, but with the aluminum bodies I figured the tolerances were a bit better so I just put some Red and Tacky on the threads. Hopefully this "seals" them up enough to prevent leaks. Time will tell! If not, I'll tape them up.

Cleaned and reassembled with stock springs and 45wt. oil. Added some some aluminum pivot balls. The lower pivots already had so much slop they were sitting on the screw heads...

Now just waiting on the mailman (sorry, mailperson) for a few more goodies.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2018, 09:06 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: OS (Re)builds an SCX V2

Not heard of using threadlock on shocks before, but I can certainly see the sense in it, have you done that before?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Crawler Cads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:18 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

RednTacky is a type of Lucas grease......
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:20 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaclip View Post
RednTacky is a type of Lucas grease......
Ah, it's a grease! Why I thought it was threadlock!?! Thanks

Old 03-27-2018, 06:11 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Ha! There was plenty of red threadlock on it when I go it, I don't ever want to see it again.

I've found that thick grease (or snot like green slime) on the threads works almost as well as teflon tape. It's thick enough so that the shock oil doesn't seep out. I'm not sure how R&T will work, but I thought I'd give it a try and see. Definitely faster than wrapping tape around those tiny threads.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:39 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Ha! There was plenty of red threadlock on it when I go it, I don't ever want to see it again.

I've found that thick grease (or snot like green slime) on the threads works almost as well as teflon tape. It's thick enough so that the shock oil doesn't seep out. I'm not sure how R&T will work, but I thought I'd give it a try and see. Definitely faster than wrapping tape around those tiny threads.
Finger crossed for you and I'd be keen to hear the results so I can employ the same method if (when!) needed in the future

Old 03-29-2018, 05:37 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Nice start. I'm about to redo my v2 with curries and ssd wheels. What other plans do you have for it? If you haven't found a clear axial Cherokee body yet and are still looking I have one from my kit I'm never gonna use.
monster 550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:12 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Nothing major, from what I've read it doesn't need much. New body, and a few odds and ends. The extra weight down low is really what I was looking for, or I would not have even touched the axles.

Thanks for the offer, but I have a body on order. I have no idea how I'm going to make it work though. Cross that bridge when I get there.

In fact, I ordered everything I need on the day of the last post, and just waiting for it to come in....getting antsy to get crackin' on this!!
Old 04-05-2018, 09:16 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Finally have some updates...such as they are.

Link mounts came in - was debating brass here, but think I've got enough weight down low. Axles look great blacked out!

Links I left stock since everything was in pretty good shape, just added aluminum balls to get rid of the slop. I'm sure they'll loosen up again, but for now everything is nice and tight again.

Didn't change much up top. I had a set of aluminum Boom towers from my JK build, so I swapped them over. That plastic mount made me nervous, especially with the heavier axles.

Rear tower and everything out back is stock for now. I will be adding a tie bar between the towers - the plastic is more flexible than a drunk yoga instructor.

Tore down the trans (all red threadlocked, even in the plastic - that was fun) and added an SSD 2 speed. I like shifting, I think it adds a fun element to the sunday drive.

This is why you always tear down a used rig...uh...wait a minute. Slipper pads still had the plastic on them and were spinning in the trans. I guess it slipped pretty good!

Gotta love getting the trans all together and finding a random bearing on the workbench. *sigh* Resisted the urge to add more aluminum bits here, seems pretty solid as it is.

Breaking in the drivetrain and trans with 3V. Spreads the grease around and works in the driveline parts at low RPM. Everything is very quiet, and the SSD trans seems to shift very smooth. Put in a cheap 35t motor - again from my JK - that seems to be awfully quick for 35t. We'll see.

Body Plan A. Fail. you'd think after 30 years I'd know how to mount a body, but I drilled the holes a bit to far back and the body was about 10mm too far forward. Frustration ensues!! After much cursing, put it aside and moved on. I'll use it somewhere else.

Plan B - had this Ram body for years collecting dust. Not what I would have picked, but it was here so I ran with it. Found a TF2 bumper in the stash and it all worked out pretty good.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:19 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Looking good, loving the slipper!!
Is that the Ascender body?

Old 04-05-2018, 10:19 AM   #11

I'll take one drunk yoga instructor, please!

This reminds me why I made a self imposed rule to stop buying used RC cars. Red thread lock including in plastic? Sticker backing still on the slipper clutch pads? WTF?!

I love the look with the Ram body and that bumper. It looks like a pre-runner to me which I love. And I could easily see that truck driving on the street and the trails.

Get yourself a body mounting kit like Protoform sells. I got a cheap one on eBay set and I'm a fan. It helps you position the body and then mark the holes in the perfect spot. I highly recommend adding one to your next eBay/AsiaTees/RCMart order.

PROTOform Crosshair Body Mounting Kit for R/C Bodies

EDIT: Dynamite has one as well. This might be the one I have: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynamite-51...MAAOSwrFtaDnnh

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 04-05-2018 at 10:22 AM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 01:46 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

The Ford is an Ascender body, the Ram is a ProLine.

I know, right? Red threadlock in plastic? Jeez!!

I must be cursed with bodies, I dropped my airbrush while painting the Ram and broke it. Managed to glue it together enough to finish the body, but it's toast. Body came out decent at least. Definitely warming to the Ram body....
Old 04-05-2018, 01:58 PM   #13

The older body style Rams, like you have here, are great looking trucks.

Bodies curse me and I curse them. Mutual hate I guess.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:09 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I must be cursed with bodies, I dropped my airbrush while painting the Ram and broke it. Managed to glue it together enough to finish the body, but it's toast. Body came out decent at least. Definitely warming to the Ram body....
Been there.

One of the times I finally got off my ass and painted one of the stack of bodies I have been meaning to paint, I gracefully knocked the airbrush off it's shelf. The paint bottle went flying off spreading a trail of paint around my garage and the airbrush landed directly onto the spraying end, bending the needle and rendering the airbrush useless. Took a lot to finally build up the desire to paint again after that.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 02:44 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

I love the "breaking in the tranny" part
Traulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 05:12 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Been there.

One of the times I finally got off my ass and painted one of the stack of bodies I have been meaning to paint, I gracefully knocked the airbrush off it's shelf. The paint bottle went flying off spreading a trail of paint around my garage and the airbrush landed directly onto the spraying end, bending the needle and rendering the airbrush useless. Took a lot to finally build up the desire to paint again after that.
That's what happened the second time I used my expensive Badger Pro Super Hoopty airbrush, thus turning it into the very expensive pile-o-trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traulus View Post
I love the "breaking in the tranny" part
But should that be done at high speed or low speed? I prefer low speed myself. You know, to minimize friction. Or something.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:10 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Some paint makes all the difference! (busted airbrush not withstanding)

The back of this body was a complete mother to mask out. Came out ok though methinks.

Not sold on the wheels and tires yet...still messing with some options. I tried some Super Swampers and while I liked the look, I thought they were a little big. Does fit in the family though!!

Last edited by OSRC; 04-05-2018 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:40 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Wow that Dodge Ram looks fantastic.Looks damn near identical to the one I painted up last month.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
RiderZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 11:51 AM   #19

How'd I guess the Ram would turn out blue?

I agree on the original wheels - I'm not sold on them. Gear Head wheels always look good. And I like the aggressive stance on the truck as it sits now. But I think shorter and skinnier tires would also look good.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:31 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZ View Post
Wow that Dodge Ram looks fantastic.Looks damn near identical to the one I painted up last month.
As does yours! I like the paint scheme!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
How'd I guess the Ram would turn out blue?

I agree on the original wheels - I'm not sold on them. Gear Head wheels always look good. And I like the aggressive stance on the truck as it sits now. But I think shorter and skinnier tires would also look good.
Cause everything I paint is blue...pretty much. Think I like the original wheels, though I swapped on some Pitbulls and they look killer.

OS (Re)builds an SCX V2 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Johnny builds an SCX-10 II XJ JohnnyAnguish Axial SCX10 II 144 07-09-2021 03:04 PM
*** Krazed Builds - SCX Tuner Set Pistons Robbob Chassis and Suspension 14 07-14-2017 08:53 PM
209SCXCRAWLER builds a Classic SCX-10 Kit 209SCXCRAWLER Axial SCX-10 18 12-26-2011 06:25 PM