Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: JimrC's Early Bronco

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2024, 01:15 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default JimrC's Early Bronco

I rarely post being a complete newbie to rc hobby

Anyways, it was the SCX10iii early Bronco that first caught my eye but I then opted for the scx24 Bronco just to see if this hobby was for me and keep costs down

I was about to get another scx24 + upgrades but just happened to find the scx10iii early Bronco for sale back in mid November. So this is my first and only 1/10 rig

I haven't done much at all with it, other than first making a leather roof panel for it. Pigskin was used (1mm) and wet formed. Little bit of dye and saddle soap then attached in place.

Next on the list was the stock esc and radio which was swapped out for the 1080 G2 and Flysky GT5 ... like a true newb ... I burnt the dig servo out purely because I didn't know the radio settings Anyways, that was quickly replaced with a new one and now set just right for the GT5. No complaints so far with the esc/radio combo

This is how it sits for now, not sure what will be done next

JimrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2024, 02:14 PM   #2

Default Re: JimrC's Early Bronco

Don't ever feel like you're too new to post! That's what forums are about and this one can use all the activity it can get.

You have a nice ride with tasteful mods. No need to be embarrassed about that!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 02:45 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Don't ever feel like you're too new to post! That's what forums are about and this one can use all the activity it can get.

You have a nice ride with tasteful mods. No need to be embarrassed about that!
Much thanks One of the only places I'll post on is here lol and I don't use social media, also find this place better for finding helpful info

Shocks will be rebuilt tomorrow (hopefully) and determined to keep the stock 100mm shocks on this for now and make adjustments as the build progresses.
Old 01-31-2024, 03:42 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

i like the top fits it swimmingly
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 04:42 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Beauty Bronco there Jim!! I can see you havin' lots of fun with it for sure!!

That leather roof you made looks great and suits the rig quite nicely.
JimK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 05:17 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Nice rig! I did something similar to my top but I like yours better! I dropped the ride height down on mine with 90mm Trx4 shocks, truck looks more scale and less top heavy as well.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 03:34 AM   #7
Go Buckeyes!

Nice idea on the pigskin bikini top. I'll have to keep that idea in mind for future projects.

Rig looks great Jim! Following along to see more!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 09:56 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Thanks folks, very much appreciated. Pennies are short at the mo ... thanks to dental fees so this project will on the slower side for now lol

I do know it will having a set of bumpers for sure from Scalerfab ... even though I find the cost outrageous in CAD

Oh, does anyone know of a good source for scaled diamond plate?
Old 02-01-2024, 10:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimrC View Post
Much thanks One of the only places I'll post on is here lol and I don't use social media, also find this place better for finding helpful info

Shocks will be rebuilt tomorrow (hopefully) and determined to keep the stock 100mm shocks on this for now and make adjustments as the build progresses.
You're welcome! Looking forward to your updates.
Old 02-01-2024, 11:55 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks folks, very much appreciated. Pennies are short at the mo ... thanks to dental fees so this project will on the slower side for now lol

I do know it will having a set of bumpers for sure from Scalerfab ... even though I find the cost outrageous in CAD

Oh, does anyone know of a good source for scaled diamond plate?
https://www.amainhobbies.com/search?s=diamond+plate

Most is Aluminum, which requires it to be backed by Lexan if you want it to have any strength. For using as trim, this should be fine. I can't remember if I have the Yeah Racing or the Hot Racing stuff.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 08:24 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
https://www.amainhobbies.com/search?s=diamond+plate

Most is Aluminum, which requires it to be backed by Lexan if you want it to have any strength. For using as trim, this should be fine. I can't remember if I have the Yeah Racing or the Hot Racing stuff.
awesome, much thanks
Old 02-02-2024, 08:47 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I rebuilt the shocks with an internal 8mm limiter all-round and filled with some 50w oil for now. Vast improvement over the stock set-up and good enough for me at the mo

Couldn't get the green slime here you guys mention to use on the o-rings so I used some SRAM Butter which I think (and hope) will work just the same ... much cheaper than the green slime too The limiters used are intended for anti-vibration that fitted perfectly on the shock shaft

Flex is still good I think, plenty for me anyways.

I'll wait I think until I have extra sprung weight added and try to dial in the stance some more but it's getting close to where I want it to sit.

Will be out this weekend testing it out, hopefully get some pictures or video ... something I'm real bad at ... is remembering to pull out the phone while playing ... always too busy having fun to think of pics
Old 02-02-2024, 09:23 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

The stance looks good. Like many others thought also ours sat a little high too.

Last edited by hnoroian; 02-02-2024 at 09:28 AM.
hnoroian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 04:53 PM   #14
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Nice find on the diamond plate. I've often looked at my LHS without any luck. Didn't even think about looking at Amain!

Quote:
I rebuilt the shocks with an internal 8mm limiter all-round and filled with some 50w oil for now. Vast improvement over the stock set-up and good enough for me at the mo

Couldn't get the green slime here you guys mention to use on the o-rings so I used some SRAM Butter which I think (and hope) will work just the same ... much cheaper than the green slime too The limiters used are intended for anti-vibration that fitted perfectly on the shock shaft

Will be out this weekend testing it out, hopefully get some pictures or video ... something I'm real bad at ... is remembering to pull out the phone while playing ... always too busy having fun to think of pics
Good call on the shock limiters. I've used nitro fuel line as limiters in my shocks and it works great to shorten shocks. Stance is much better lowered.

Don't feel bad about the pics and vids. I too forget to get my phone out sometimes when I'm out wheeling my rigs.

I used to use the AE Green Slime on all of my shocks. Then I switched to Noleen SF-3 a couple years ago. It was recommended by @soze which is a member here on RCC. The Noleen looks exactly like the Green Slime, but is much cheaper and works perfectly in our tiny sized shocks. This little jar will be a lifetime supply for shock building!

Name:  IMG_3906.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  142.1 KB
Old 02-03-2024, 08:24 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post

I used to use the AE Green Slime on all of my shocks. Then I switched to Noleen SF-3 a couple years ago. It was recommended by @soze which is a member here on RCC. The Noleen looks exactly like the Green Slime, but is much cheaper and works perfectly in our tiny sized shocks. This little jar will be a lifetime supply for shock building!

Attachment 403681
yeah the SRAM butter I got is only an ounce and way more than I'll ever need in my lifetime. Works really good and confident it'll do the same job

Cheers for the heads-up about the Noleen SF-3 , much appreciated BMOW
Old 02-03-2024, 08:25 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnoroian View Post
The stance looks good. Like many others thought also ours sat a little high too.
Thanks, still needs some more sprung weight to the rig but it's getting there
Old 02-03-2024, 08:54 AM   #17
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
yeah the SRAM butter I got is only an ounce and way more than I'll ever need in my lifetime. Works really good and confident it'll do the same job

Cheers for the heads-up about the Noleen SF-3 , much appreciated BMOW

No problem. I’m sure the SRAM butter is just as good if not better. It says it’s for shock seals, so you should be good.

Nothing like having a lifetime supply of anything!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2024, 08:50 AM   #18

What color is that SRAM Butter?

Associated's Green Slime is really just Noleen SF3: https://www.noleenj6.com/noleen-greases
Old 02-05-2024, 09:42 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
What color is that SRAM Butter?

Associated's Green Slime is really just Noleen SF3: https://www.noleenj6.com/noleen-greases
Tried to find the Noleen SF3 locally with no joy.

As for the SRAM, the Bronco had three batteries ran through it over the weekend ... shocks are still leak free so I'm not complaining

Here's a pic Jato, no idea about the Noleen stuff but I would recommend this butter grease for sure super slick stuff

Old 02-05-2024, 09:46 AM   #20

Quote:
Tried to find the Noleen SF3 locally with no joy.

As for the SRAM, the Bronco had three batteries ran through it over the weekend ... shocks are still leak free so I'm not complaining

Here's a pic Jato, no idea about the Noleen stuff but I would recommend this butter grease for sure super slick stuff

Local retailers don’t seem to want to stock anything anymore. I’d suggest a motorcycle shop to find Noleen products. Bike shops would be another option for other seal greases.

Thank you for the photo of the SRAM Butter. Looks similar to petroleum jelly.

There are tons of seal greases out there for bicycles, motorcycles, etc. I’m sure most would work fine for RC.

JimrC's Early Bronco - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JimrC's Bronco + Upgrades JimrC Micro Scale Rigs 52 09-01-2023 10:53 AM
Early Bronco fastgixxerlv Videos! 0 04-28-2022 10:37 PM
Early Bronco (oh yes it is!) Metal Masher 1.9 Scale Rigs 64 10-28-2013 08:20 PM
Early Bronco RAM2500 Paint and Body 5 09-05-2011 05:47 PM