Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: Newb- Gladiator RTR smart batts use

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2021, 01:14 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Newb- Gladiator RTR smart batts use

Hi all

I’m considering pulling the plug on a RTR Gladiator I’ve found for sale at a bit of a deal. The sellers including a pair of Spektrum Smart lipos, the reason he’s selling is he cannot get the Jeep to run because he doesn’t have the correct charger.

My question is, can I use either a normal lipo with Deans adaptor and will the Spektrum batteries charge with a generic charger with the right connector?

Thanks
CoupeUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2021, 05:19 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Newb- Gladiator RTR smart batts use

spektrum recommends only using their chargers with their batteries. the s150 is pretty cheap and has worked fine for me though.
Tim1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 08:05 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeUK View Post
Hi all

I’m considering pulling the plug on a RTR Gladiator I’ve found for sale at a bit of a deal. The sellers including a pair of Spektrum Smart lipos, the reason he’s selling is he cannot get the Jeep to run because he doesn’t have the correct charger.

My question is, can I use either a normal lipo with Deans adaptor and will the Spektrum batteries charge with a generic charger with the right connector?

Thanks
I have done that, but not for long enough to know if there will be any negative affects long term. IMHO, a LiPO charger is a LiPO charger.
tonered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 02:16 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonered View Post
I have done that, but not for long enough to know if there will be any negative affects long term. IMHO, a LiPO charger is a LiPO charger.
You’ve charged a smart lipo with a ‘normal’ charger?
Old 05-18-2021, 03:04 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonered View Post
I have a pair of Hoovoo batteries from amazon and they charge great on a Dynamite Prophet Sport with no problem. However when I place my sons Venom battery on the same charger the charger will not recognize it. That particular battery requires a balance charger with the actual plug, not just a regular balance charger.

So IMHO a LIPO charger is not a LIPO charger that is not a right LIPO charger.
Den72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 03:38 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
You’ve charged a smart lipo with a ‘normal’ charger?
Yes. It is a LiPO charger with cell balancing, just not a Spektrum SMART charger.

It came with my AE ProSC10.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:04 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Default Newb- Gladiator RTR smart batts use

Basically, the SMART batteries just have a few extra features that can be adjusted and checked using a SMART charger. The main feature to be aware of is the self discharge to storage voltage after a set period no use.

Strait from the guys at Spektrum via live stream (link below), SMART batteries are chargeable on non-SMART chargers.

https://youtu.be/QsrfWyCT9SY

The question is asked between the 16:00 and 18:00 minute mark. (Actual live stream discussion starts around the 8:00 minute mark, if you would like more information on these batteries.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Phyro; 05-18-2021 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Tone change.
Phyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 07:46 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyro View Post
Basically, the SMART batteries just have a few extra features that can be adjusted and checked using a SMART charger. The main feature to be aware of is the self discharge to storage voltage after a set period no use.

Strait from the guys at Spektrum via live stream (link below), SMART batteries are chargeable on non-SMART chargers.

https://youtu.be/QsrfWyCT9SY

The question is asked between the 16:00 and 18:00 minute mark. (Actual live stream discussion starts around the 8:00 minute mark, if you would like more information on these batteries.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The self discharge feature is quite nice and has be buying Spektrum batteries regardless of the charger used.
Old 05-20-2021, 08:09 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Perfect, thanks for all your replies.

I have actually bought this SCX10iii, it's due to be with me tomorrow. As said it comes with a pair of Smart lipos, would be nice to use them instead of having them sat on the bench as paperweights. Will fab up some adaptors for them once it's arrived I think.

Again, thank you!

Last edited by CoupeUK; 05-20-2021 at 03:18 PM.
Old 05-20-2021, 10:00 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Perfect, thanks for all your replies.

I have actually bought this SCX10ii, it's due to be with me tomorrow. As said it comes with a pair of Smart lipos, would be nice to use them instead of having them sat on the bench as paperweights. Will fab up some adaptors for them once it's arrived I think.

Again, thank you!
You're welcome!

Newb- Gladiator RTR smart batts use - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial SCX10 III Jeep JT Gladiator RTR sgtlt Axial SCX10 III 40 10-02-2020 10:46 AM
1/10 SCX10 III Jeep JT Gladiator Rock Crawler with Portals RTR Item No. AXI03006 Natedog General Crawlers 2 08-31-2020 10:06 AM
Newb question to beat all newb questions vinster888 Newbie General 3 12-29-2009 07:24 PM
Newb ?. AX10 rtr & color pack prblms GTOAX10 Newbie General 6 12-28-2008 09:25 PM
Newb needs some help and advice on what to do about his RTR AX10 please. Master Basher Axial AX-10 Scorpion 10 05-13-2008 08:00 AM