Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: On the Ready to Run, the pinion is on so tight on the motor I can't get it off, help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2021, 04:41 PM   #1

Default On the Ready to Run, the pinion is on so tight on the motor I can't get it off, help!

I bought a 12t pinion to slow down the rtr. The pinion is extremely tight, and I am not able to get it to move, much less come off.
What can I do to get it off?
synic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2021, 05:09 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: On the Ready to Run, the pinion is on so tight on the motor I can't get it off, h

Do you mean the factory installed pinion? I assume you removed the set screw holding it on. If it's still tight gently pry on it with a screw driver placed between motor and pinion a tiny amount of pressure should pop it right off. Sometimes I think there is factory loctite that gets on shaft when setscrew is installed causing it to be difficult to remove. If it doesn't come off with a just a little pressure you can try more at your own risk but I would be very careful.

Have had this same issue a couple times and just a little pressure from a screwdriver has worked every time.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
SCX10 JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 07:54 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: On the Ready to Run, the pinion is on so tight on the motor I can't get it off, h

You can try a little heat as well. Hold a hot soldering iron on the pinion in a few places for half a minute or so. You'll thermally expand the metal and also loosen the thread locker that may be on the motor shaft. I've already used a small butane torch as well.
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 01:34 PM   #4

^^^ "OnTheTrail" is right on the money .... heat it, heat it good! You know what works really well for this small stuff ... is a little butane / propane pencil torch! Do NOT try it again till you put heat on it ... once you try the heat, you will be amazed out how easy it will come out
skinart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 04:58 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Yep heat it up and then use a tool with a good tip on it to avoid stripping it
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote

On the Ready to Run, the pinion is on so tight on the motor I can't get it off, help! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What spur and pinion should I run with this set up? I just ordered my motor and esc. Thickone Vaterra Twin Hammers 2 06-11-2017 09:02 AM
CRAWL - Wraith run #054 - Another tight squeeze JoeConti Videos! 0 06-16-2015 02:16 PM
Ready to Run? Which way to go... Yamaguy Newbie General 20 12-23-2014 12:10 AM
Losi CC 12t pinion cant get tight enought mesh! NEED HELP! Lowlife_Louie Newbie General 8 07-12-2013 02:52 PM
what pinion should i run on my motor witha 3 cell lipo and 35 inegy 87samurai Newbie General 2 04-05-2011 04:42 PM