Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Losi CC 12t pinion cant get tight enought mesh! NEED HELP!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #1

Default Losi CC 12t pinion cant get tight enought mesh! NEED HELP!

i have a losi comp crawler and im running a 12t pinion or should i say i want to run..but anyway its a 12t 48p *long* pinion from hot racing and after i put it on the shaft i push the motor in to place but even as far in as i can physical push the motor in the mesh feels a tiny bit loose to me. its a little loud when spinning aswell. =/ i would bump up to a 13t but hot racing doesnt make a long 13t pinion and all the "normal size" pinions only grab half the gear before hitting the set screw that tightens the gear on the motor shaft!!! need help or opinions THANK YOU!!
Lowlife_Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2013, 12:08 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Losi CC 12t pinion cant get tight enought mesh! NEED HELP!

I run a normal size 12T Losi pinion in my LCC. It does grab about 2/3 of the gear, which I consider good enough.

I have no problems getting the mesh tight enough, somewhat depending on which screw holes I use to fasten the motor. (The motor cable mounts can get in the way of the tranny.)
What prevents you from rotating the motor further in?
I've had more problems with too tight mesh, and it also seems to get a little tighter when the clamp holding the motor is locked into place. (Don't attach the cover until after checking the mesh!)

As for noise the LCC is known for being on the noisy side, but it's never been as noisy as when I ran a too tight mesh (and non standard 48:ish pitch pinion from HPI).
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle P View Post
I run a normal size 12T Losi pinion in my LCC. It does grab about 2/3 of the gear, which I consider good enough.

I have no problems getting the mesh tight enough, somewhat depending on which screw holes I use to fasten the motor. (The motor cable mounts can get in the way of the tranny.)
What prevents you from rotating the motor further in?
I've had more problems with too tight mesh, and it also seems to get a little tighter when the clamp holding the motor is locked into place. (Don't attach the cover until after checking the mesh!)

As for noise the LCC is known for being on the noisy side, but it's never been as noisy as when I ran a too tight mesh (and non standard 48:ish pitch pinion from HPI).
Thanks for the reply!! i fastened the motor so the wires are right flat on top, as far as what prevents me from rotationg the motor further in is where im lost, i can rotate it outward (making the gap bigger) but cant seem to push it in far enough to lock the mesh in, if only grabbing 2/3 of the gear is ok then i guess ill try another pinion and hope for the best!
Old 07-12-2013, 12:30 AM   #4
RCC Addict

What's the outer diameter of your motor? Is it a flat 36mm can, or some design with added cooling fins?
A 36mm can should be no problem.
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle P View Post
What's the outer diameter of your motor? Is it a flat 36mm can, or some design with added cooling fins?
A 36mm can should be no problem.
Not exactly sure, its Novak ballistics 18.5
Old 07-12-2013, 07:56 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Is the outside of the motor physically touching the trans, kinda to say it bottoming out on the can.
KustomKreeper8606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KustomKreeper8606 View Post
Is the outside of the motor physically touching the trans, kinda to say it bottoming out on the can.

Yepp. the can is touching the tranny case so i guess thats as far in as it will go.. hmm thats odd i guess theres a slight different is size of 12t pinions
Old 07-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Could you possibly remove the motor and slightly file a little bit off the trans case. Not much. Maybe a millimeter or so were its touching. Sometimes ingenuity goes farther than buying parts. And u am not being a smart a** when I say that. I had to learn that when I got into crawling
KustomKreeper8606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KustomKreeper8606 View Post
Could you possibly remove the motor and slightly file a little bit off the trans case. Not much. Maybe a millimeter or so were its touching. Sometimes ingenuity goes farther than buying parts. And u am not being a smart a** when I say that. I had to learn that when I got into crawling
Thanks, i appreciate the advice, ive ran 2 charges threw it and haven't noticed any premature wear on the idler so i think the mesh im working with will do.

Losi CC 12t pinion cant get tight enought mesh! NEED HELP! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motor pinion mesh problem Evandiego EnRoute Berg 8 04-26-2011 11:16 AM
Pinion Gear/Mesh? 28offroader Venom Creeper 9 01-26-2011 01:21 AM
Pinion Mesh... cliffdawg Team Losi Comp Crawler 7 04-11-2010 07:19 PM
Spur and pinion gear mesh desertfox62 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 15 01-17-2009 04:35 PM
12t pinion johnnyt Newbie General 10 12-26-2005 12:14 AM