Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: 10.3 jlu to gladiator build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2021, 06:54 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default 10.3 jlu to gladiator build

I picked up a 10.3 jlu kit a few months ago with the intentions of it being a quick build with dig, however I wanted it to be a gladiator and could never decide on color.

Then I was set on selling it and moving away from the platform but that never happened. Then the thought of selling it and then getting a 10.3 gladiator slider came to mind. However after pricing the conversion out I didn’t think it was worth it, it’s really not much of a savings.

So I ordered the stock parts to get me to a slider, and I must say, swapping the chassis rails made me wish I just sold it and got a gladiator roller. It was a nightmare, then I of course realized the wheelbase was too long and had to take it apart yet again!

Anyways with the misery over it was time to move on to swapping the axles out for the straight axle kit. Then had to decide what route to go for the body. After a fairly quick decision I decided to go the clear route to make it standout from every other gladiator on here, and with the help of club5 parts it will stand out even more!

With the addition of scalerfab front and rear bumpers (jlu versions) and gladiator sliders on the way the build is looking good! Wheels are also going to be bronze supershafty falcons with 1.9 braven berserkers. I may change to rock beasts, if they will clear when the body is finished.

Ignore the mess in the background. Now to figure out color, driveshafts and electronics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
c0bra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2021, 07:06 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 10.3 jlu to gladiator build

Just finished my JLU kit. Frankly, I'm less than impressed overall and should have just gone for the Gladiator. I'm debating converting mine over as well, though it won't solve any of the issues with the kit. Not sure how much more money I want to dump into this rig. I'll be watching your conversion...
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 06:05 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Just finished my JLU kit. Frankly, I'm less than impressed overall and should have just gone for the Gladiator. I'm debating converting mine over as well, though it won't solve any of the issues with the kit. Not sure how much more money I want to dump into this rig. I'll be watching your conversion...

I can post the parts list that are needed for the conversion if needed. I am reusing what parts I can from the jlu body.

The conversion itself really isn’t that bad, the hard part is figuring out which holes you need for the rear half of the chassis to get the wheelbase correct

Old 08-18-2021, 03:25 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

7 1/2 holes exposed on the rear frame rails.
rob5059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 04:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0bra View Post
I can post the parts list that are needed for the conversion if needed. I am reusing what parts I can from the jlu body.

The conversion itself really isn’t that bad, the hard part is figuring out which holes you need for the rear half of the chassis to get the wheelbase correct

You did the conversion of a JLU kit to a JT kit? How much did the parts cost?
Squelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 06:22 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

What are you using for the rear driveshaft?
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 04:49 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Default 10.3 jlu to gladiator build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squelch View Post
You did the conversion of a JLU kit to a JT kit? How much did the parts cost?

If I remember right it is about $250 so far not including driveshafts and using stock parts. Also that is with using whatever parts I can from the jl. I will get the list of part numbers needed and post them soon.

For driveshafts, I’m going with mip from supershafty

Old 08-19-2021, 07:23 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0bra View Post
For driveshafts, I’m going with mip from supershafty

Good call. They’re just out of anything over like 120mm. If you find a gladiator rear, hook me up!
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 06:17 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Body is painted! Just waiting on the e6000 to dry so I can assemble the body. Though I couldn’t resist mounting the light bar.

I went with proline slate blue backed with black for the body, with a black interior and inside the bed.

I also have 1.9 rock beasts coming (eventually) as they should help with the look I’m going for on this

Old 10-04-2021, 10:20 PM   #10
RCC Addict

The truck is nearly ready for its maiden voyage!

I picked up 1.9 rock beasts and pitbull wheels for the truck. Also the scalerfab jt rear bumper is on.

Also got the body most of the way assembled. Basically just needs interior put in and the wires cleaned up.

As far as the chassis it’s nearly finished, just need to extend the hobbywing 1080 wires to the Holmes 16t 5 slot. Then it needs a battery connector and as bigger receiver box.

The wiring for the lights is soldered to the battery wires, and run to a distribution block. Plugged into the distribution block are the rock lights and club5 inductive switch. The wiring had to be this way as i am also tuning a winch (yet to be mounted and no controller still) as well as a dig servo.

Old 10-08-2021, 05:34 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Help!

I am planning on running this truck tomorrow at a fun run and the transmission is having issues. I’ve never even ran it, however the transmission is clicking. I’ve narrowed it down to were the gears for the front driveshaft mesh with the shifting/dig gears. Does anyone know of a fix?

It seems to be ok I’m not using the dig however I was only able to bench test it, and this is the truck I’m planning on running at night because of all the leds.

The transmission is set up as a single speed with dig if it helps

Old 10-08-2021, 09:02 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

All I got is are the gears facing the right direction?

I have 2 trucks that "click" ...my VS4 and SCXIII. The III clicks like crazy. I built it, tested it, and immediately thought something was wrong. Tore it all down, made sure the gears were facing the right way for the slots (what a craptastic design BTW) and it still makes a slight clicking sound. I've given up at this point, I have no idea what's clicking. I'm just going to drive it until it breaks OR just sell it, IDK.
Old 10-08-2021, 03:41 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
All I got is are the gears facing the right direction?

I have 2 trucks that "click" ...my VS4 and SCXIII. The III clicks like crazy. I built it, tested it, and immediately thought something was wrong. Tore it all down, made sure the gears were facing the right way for the slots (what a craptastic design BTW) and it still makes a slight clicking sound. I've given up at this point, I have no idea what's clicking. I'm just going to drive it until it breaks OR just sell it, IDK.

Wow then this transmission definitely isn’t staying in here. By the way are you going to rausch creek tomorrow?

Old 10-08-2021, 04:04 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Clicking in the trans is a pretty common issue, here's a great video on it if it helps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI2cV1DY0TI

I probably still have a gear backwards somewhere in mine, I'm just not interested in tearing it down again. No, not going.
Old 10-09-2021, 04:57 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Went to go run the truck at rausch creek and it went great for maybe 20 feet and lost all drive to the wheels. Doesn’t seem to be dig related and the spur is still spinning.

This transmission is coming out ASAP and getting thrown out

Old 10-10-2021, 07:52 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

That sucks! At least you weren't deep into the trail when it let go. I see one of these in your future: https://bowhouserc.com/svt-3-gear-tr...for-scx10-iii/
Old 10-11-2021, 04:19 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
That sucks! At least you weren't deep into the trail when it let go. I see one of these in your future: https://bowhouserc.com/svt-3-gear-tr...for-scx10-iii/

Thanks I was not aware of that option. I’ll either go 3 gear or wait till gtslow sells the vfd skid plate

Old 10-16-2021, 03:48 PM   #18

I like the color, looks good on the black wheels!
Green River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 12:50 AM   #19

[QUOTE=c0bra;6090425]If I remember right it is about $250 so far not including driveshafts and using stock parts. Also that is with using whatever parts I can from the jl. I will get the list of part numbers needed and post them soon.

Have you posted the list yet? I wasnt sure if it was on another thread somewhere.
Freerme7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 06:48 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

I am also interested in the part list. I have a JLU that I haven't been using and would like to have a Gladiator but they dont make a kit version.
2wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote

10.3 jlu to gladiator build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Soze's SCX10 III Jeep JLU Build soze Axial SCX10 III 29 11-04-2021 06:20 AM
SCX10 III Gladiator JLU kit Battery tray dimensions / Max battery size. definitely_a_human Axial SCX10 III 2 08-08-2021 04:06 AM
RC BEE"S HoneyWagon Axial SCX10 iii JLU Wrangler Build Honeyman108 Axial SCX10 III 26 05-04-2021 08:00 PM
The journal of a noob JLU build ShaneGreene1 Axial SCX10 III 20 04-06-2021 06:43 PM
1/6 sacale Jeep Gladiator build. Norton Large Scale Rigs 174 05-20-2016 11:48 AM