Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: Clicking in rear axle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2021, 12:50 AM   #1

Default Clicking in rear axle

As the title says I'm getting clicking in the rear axle. It only seems to under some stress. Checked the portal gear and are installed correctly and also pinion/ring gear looks like there's no wear. Any ideas? I'm running the Axe 540 2800 combo. Thanks in advance!
Drazz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2021, 06:43 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Clicking in rear axle

Just a guess here but you may need to shim the pinion. It may not be getting a good mesh and just needs a shim or two in order to mesh correctly. Is it more noticeable going either forwards or backwards? I got a gladiator that had to have front pinion mesh corrected with a couple shims. It was off far enough that it almost locked up the front wheel when driving. After a couple shims its smooth as can be now.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
SCX10 JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 02:57 PM   #3

It's more noticeable going forward, 100% throttle from take off or when I'm under stress from climbing. If I try holding one tire and spin the other by hand u can hear and feel the click..Where did u add the shims? Between the outter pinion and rear driveshaft?
Old 08-22-2021, 03:13 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Ok yeah sounds like the pinion has too much slop in it. You can add between the drive shaft and the diff case if the torque is pushing the pinion into the ring gear. If it's pulling the pinion away from the ring gear you wow need to put a shim on the inside of the diff between the pinion and inner bearing. I had to put mine on the outside of the diff for the front. Try a small shim on the outside first its the easiest take 5 seconds if it fixes it great if it makes it worse or doesn't fix it probably need to shim the inside. Hope this helps. I've only had to shim 2 of my axial one scx10ii and my gladiator my jlu was fine from the factory.

Old 08-25-2021, 09:36 PM   #5

So having the same issue shimming either side.. I figured out its actually the portal gear on one side in the rear. If I take all the screws out of the portal and try turning the tire its solid. Once I tighten up the 4 screws it clicks again. Tried shimming the gears in there but same issue. I do have some wear on the top of the cover and a little of the bearing is showing, bottom screw hole is spit from over tightening. Not sure where to go from here.
Old 08-26-2021, 07:07 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

If it's a new gladiator I would see about contacting customer support at horizon and see what they can do for you. I would also check the axle shaft to see if it's bent. That might have been causing the rubbing. Sounds like too me it was put together wrong or had a defective part that was out of tolerance. Probably will need new axle shaft and new housing.

Old 08-26-2021, 09:28 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I had the same thing on my Capra (similar axle to the 10III). Just had to shim the pinion.
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote

Clicking in rear axle - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rear Axle shaft clicking noise Problem solved! xv-townboy Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 4 04-12-2020 07:05 PM
Rear axle clicking RC for life Axial Yeti 2 01-09-2017 04:50 PM
Clicking from Rear Axle? lt. Tamiya CR-01 14 05-17-2010 08:04 AM
!!!my rear axle is clicking!!! Ny-Lint Lover General Crawlers 1 05-31-2006 04:26 PM