Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: tekin sc4x 7.5 turn test now with Pro4 goodness

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2011, 02:11 PM   #41
Rock Crawler

wraith hybrid. I have ax10's under mine. SC4x 7.5 with MMP on 3s!
14/54 32p. 8lbs flat with battery. Ive crawled one comp and took second and fine tuned it now. I run mine no CHEAT and smart sense activated. Just seemed smoother. Heres some vids. The crawling vid I was videoing and driving so its smoother than it seems. Just wanted to show you all how capable this combo is. Skid, thanks for the start of this. Best upgrade I did all year. Illl post crawling vid when it gets uploaded.
http://youtu.be/RPQwPQWvvaQ
http://youtu.be/uT20h0ZfAmc

Last edited by Mighty1; 09-21-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Mighty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2011, 05:44 PM   #42
Rock Crawler

Well, 11 tooth pinion came loose. Tightened back down and the gear mesh binds. Noticed the pinion split in the tooth valley inline with the set screw.

skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:46 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Thats sucks on a couple levels...for you, and me ,cause I was just getting ready to pop a 11 toothin and try it out.

Maybe I will just for grins and see what happens to mine.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:23 PM   #44
Rock Crawler

I probably got 20 packs through it. 12t is still going strong in another scaler with the pro4. May have been a fluke of defect? Hard to say for sure. Another $10 either way. Was an AE pinion if it matters.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:16 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid View Post
I probably got 20 packs through it. 12t is still going strong in another scaler with the pro4. May have been a fluke of defect? Hard to say for sure. Another $10 either way. Was an AE pinion if it matters.
Is the Pro4 way better?
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:26 PM   #46
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by saydee1800 View Post
Is the Pro4 way better?
Smoother low end, seems to have more torque, but hard to tell with 4s. Not quite the top end of the sc4x. Still more than is realistically usable.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:28 PM   #47
Rock Crawler

Im totally happy with my sc4x but if the pro4 is smoother,well maybe ill sell mine and get that one. Seriously the things are way to fast,,,,,, I love it!
Old 09-23-2011, 10:31 AM   #48
Pebble Pounder

Guys Axial is sending me a Wraith to play with as well so I will be able to help with the setups a bit here. The Pro 4 has more torque than the SC4x but won't rev as much as the Sc4x. Think of it like a 2 stroke vs. a 4 stroke. The 2 pole setup is like a 2 stroke dirt bike, you must spin it up to make it work really well. The Pro 4 has gobs of torque but lacks the top end revability. If you need more speed from the Pro 4 leave the timing low and simply gear it up.
Randy P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:17 AM   #49
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy P View Post
Guys Axial is sending me a Wraith to play with as well so I will be able to help with the setups a bit here. The Pro 4 has more torque than the SC4x but won't rev as much as the Sc4x. Think of it like a 2 stroke vs. a 4 stroke. The 2 pole setup is like a 2 stroke dirt bike, you must spin it up to make it work really well. The Pro 4 has gobs of torque but lacks the top end revability. If you need more speed from the Pro 4 leave the timing low and simply gear it up.
Except modern 4 stroke motorcross bikes spin way past their two stroke counter parts. My 250 four stroke has a rev limiter at 13,500 rpm versus a 125 or 250 two stroke that would be lucky to see 9000.

As I see it, it a small trade with the scx4 vs pro4's. Pro4's are a drop in with no modifying to make fit. I had to grind a link mounts and move the trans forward to bit to clear the sc4x, but the sc4x has more rpm range. Both outstanding over powered motors.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:28 AM   #50
Rock Crawler

Skid, I don't really need to go 100 mile an hour so I Would trade my sc4x for your pro 4
Old 09-23-2011, 11:38 AM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Guys

I have been running a Tekin 13.5 with great results. Has anyone ever try a 13.5 to compare?
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:51 AM   #52
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by saydee1800 View Post
Guys

I have been running a Tekin 13.5 with great results. Has anyone ever try a 13.5 to compare?
All I have is a older novak 13.5. Scared to send 16.8 volts to it, but might try 3s. 17.5 runs good but a bit down on top end and torque. Hard to brag about 100 hp when you rode in 200 hp
Old 09-23-2011, 05:37 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

I have a Pro4 in mine right now. Awesome motor. 11/54 gearing and on 3s it's probably half again faster than with the stock motor, plus it crawls amazingly well!

Randy P, I've read in a short course forum that you don't recommend running the Pro4 with the RS pro. Will the RS pro be fine in a class 3 scaler that isn't being run 1/2 to full throttle all the time? I really want to ditch my MMP and put my RS pro in.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:57 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

Tim, what don't you like about the MMP in your rig? I'm curious 'cause that's what I was planning on using.
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:09 PM   #55
Rock Crawler

Hey everyone, brand new to this site. I know this thread is for the wraith( got one and love it) but my question is geared towards the Tekin Pro4 you have been discussing... I have a Losi Night Crawler thats been totally redone with full framerails (TVP is gone) and am building as a TTC rig. Obviously the Losi worm axles suck for wheelspeed. I've played with various brushless setups ( 21.5, 17.5, 13.5, Velineon and an outrunner) and cant seem to find the happy medium between "crawlability" and wheelspeed. A standard 550 shortcourse setup was too long. Do you think this new Pro4 motor with a MMP on 4s may be the answer? FDR is near 80:1 Thanks!
GiJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:48 PM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
Tim, what don't you like about the MMP in your rig? I'm curious 'cause that's what I was planning on using.
When I was running the MMP on 6s with the T8 in my Willys it wad pretty fast. I swapped the RS Pro into it on 3s and it was almost as fast but much more controlled. I just think Tekin ESC's work better with Tekin motors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiJoe View Post
Hey everyone, brand new to this site. I know this thread is for the wraith( got one and love it) but my question is geared towards the Tekin Pro4 you have been discussing... I have a Losi Night Crawler thats been totally redone with full framerails (TVP is gone) and am building as a TTC rig. Obviously the Losi worm axles suck for wheelspeed. I've played with various brushless setups ( 21.5, 17.5, 13.5, Velineon and an outrunner) and cant seem to find the happy medium between "crawlability" and wheelspeed. A standard 550 shortcourse setup was too long. Do you think this new Pro4 motor with a MMP on 4s may be the answer? FDR is near 80:1 Thanks!
I'd be afraid of the Pro4 being a power hog. It would be an expensive experiment ($140 for the motor). Tekin doesn't recommend that motor on 4s either. It also has a 5mm shaft so 48 pitch pinions are hard to find.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:57 PM   #57
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiJoe View Post
With my experience with a losi comp crawler, I'd say stick with 3s. With the drag of worm gears, I'd bet it will tear up transmissions quickly. For crawling I run a 21.5 on 3s, rs pro with max boost and 30 degrees timing. Seen a 10.5t work, but explosive when bound up.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:10 PM   #58
Rock Crawler

Quote:
With my experience with a losi comp crawler, I'd say stick with 3s. With the drag of worm gears, I'd bet it will tear up transmissions quickly. For crawling I run a 21.5 on 3s, rs pro with max boost and 30 degrees timing. Seen a 10.5t work, but explosive when bound up.
I've got the HR metal gears in the trans for over a year now and no probs thus far. I loved the wheelspeed of the Velineon, but cogged and stalled too bad when bound up on the rocks. The 13.5 Novak on 3S is better at low speed but still lacks the top end of the Velineon on 3S. Afraid to try 4S with the Novak. For Scale and TTC style events, I love the worms on the rocks but need more for the mud, hillclimbs etc.
GiJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:34 PM   #59
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
Randy P, I've read in a short course forum that you don't recommend running the Pro4 with the RS pro. Will the RS pro be fine in a class 3 scaler that isn't being run 1/2 to full throttle all the time? I really want to ditch my MMP and put my RS pro in.
I've never seen anyone from tekin say it was ok. A few repots of sc4x motors running on them. But tekin always recomended the rx8. Which has some differences. Bigger, up to 6s, no boost and only dual drive mode with a sensored motor.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:40 PM   #60
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I've never seen anyone from tekin say it was ok. A few repots of sc4x motors running on them. But tekin always recomended the rx8. Which has some differences. Bigger, up to 6s, no boost and only dual drive mode with a sensored motor.
Yeah, I know they aren't recommended but I'm figuring in a scale truck where you aren't racing around a track at partial to full throttle for 15 minutes, it might be OK. Just want someone from Tekin to "hint" that it's alright.The RX8 is just too big, and I already spent $195 on an RS Pro.