Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Speedweigand's Wraith, official build thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 01:48 PM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Speedweigand's Wraith, official build thread

Hell yeah it stands!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlhog View Post
freakin awesome how you beat that rig and it keeps coming back for more. i finally got me one so when it gets warm out im shooting over if your offer still stands
Speedweigand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2012, 07:13 PM   #42
RCC Addict

cooool , expect a visitor come spring time. im gonna build the crap out of mine for some fun BOX action
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:14 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSWHollowpoint View Post
These videos are so cool. Nice work on your rig. I have to say, I am jealous of you not having any snow. I am buried in this white crap. All you have is a light dusting.
Oh don't worry I got it now lol wish I had more, I was inches from buying paddles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlhog View Post
freakin awesome how you beat that rig and it keeps coming back for more. i finally got me one so when it gets warm out im shooting over if your offer still stands
It's funny how clapped out it is in person, if you saw how much play there is in everything you'd be like "there's no way that will last" lol

I just ordered 500K diff lube for the frt, we'll see how that works...

When I get a chance I'm gonna give her an overhaul with some spiffy new sheetmetal, maybe even a color change...

Crawlhog so you got one eh? if you got any questions don't hesitate!
Old 01-14-2012, 10:51 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

If you still haven't had enough this is just raw footage of an on board whoopin' later that night testing an updated mount
Old 01-15-2012, 12:15 AM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Build update

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussprinceton2004 View Post
Did you JB Weld the front and rear lockers, or just one of them? Could you do a write-up on how to do it, with pictures?
I have JB welded several and have epoxied several more. JB weld is permanent, epoxy is a little more lenient.

This works pretty good with already broken lockers and works great with new.

Drawbacks, JB weld is forever, I have a diff that I'd tried everything to get the ring gear off, ended up ruining the diff case in a vise... it's attached. Actually it's the one in the picture. Maybe I did to good of a job on that one.

Basically your removing any empty space for the diff locker to move. Using a flat tip screwdriver smear a little epoxy or JB along the bottom corners of the diff case. Insert your locker, now apply a little more around the corners. This is where heat works great for JB weld, if it's a nice summer day 5min in the sun should do. Make sure the voids in the corners are full. Scape off the excess on top of the locker and assemble your diff while wet. It can also be cut off with a razor blade. Make sure if there's any in the holes for the axles you get it out before it sets. If it's just a little usually sticking the axle in there a few times will disperse it enough.

From Wraith

Here's the bad news and why I've done so many. Now that the locker doesn't break I snap off the ring gear screws about 4-6 threads inside the diff case. Makes the diff case useless, and if you used JB weld your locker is probably trapped.

TCS has these for the Wheelie King. They will fit Axial diffs with a little grinding or you can run WK diffs, which require a little work too if you want the bearings to fit nice, or it can be forced home.
From Wraith

From Wraith

https://www.tcscrawlers.com/On-Sale-...s-p-16309.html
This is what I'll be running in my front diff when I get bored with the open. Maybe in the rear if I break another diff casing lol I bought 4 packs so I'm prepared. Locked the back axle in my HPI mini trophy with them and they worked great. IDK cheap option I guess... the iron cross locker is a joke

This is what a proper locker should look like, no silly pins to break only a diff casing to explode
From Baja 5T

This is an aftermarket locker out of my Baja 5T, pretty awesome it was able to break the pin. Some dumbass namely me, didn't tighten the screw that holds the pin enough... the pin slid over and oops, nothing else was damaged.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #46
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedweigand View Post
Oh don't worry I got it now lol wish I had more, I was inches from buying paddles.

Crawlhog so you got one eh? if you got any questions don't hesitate!
THANKS DUDE, ive been watching your detailed build and so far you got me covered. ill be in touch i got my buddy watching your vids (they rock) and he ordered one today. looks like Spike the wonder dog love the Wraith also.

Last edited by crawlhog; 01-15-2012 at 01:12 PM.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:47 PM   #47
Quarry Creeper

In cab footage of horsepower hill, or the mini 1/4 pipe whatever you want to call it. I land this sweet backflip with a twist and the incab is amazing, I've probably wated the slo-mo of it in 20speeds, 100 times lol. I'm real excited about trail runs with incab footage. This is the short version... sorta hastily hacked from the longer version of 16+minutes of my chasing the dog and playing in the snow. FYI I run 4000mah 3s, the total footage was 23 minutes and the pack was at 3.7volts per cell.

Still not enough? here's all of it!

It does give an interesting look into the pace at which I beat on it. Oh and the slipper gave up part way through, so I just started getting more of a run I kept trying for wheelies but was denied.

Last edited by Speedweigand; 01-17-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:10 PM   #48

GHOSTRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:29 PM   #49
RCC Addict

..thanks for the replies...I have a Towardpro MG946R, just like you do. Are you using a Castle 10A BEC with yours? I have read on the specs on these MG946R servos, and it states that the operating voltage is 4.8-7.2V...Do you think I can set the voltage on my Castle 10A BEC to 7.2V using these servos (front and rear 4WS)? Or, should I just set the BECs to 6V?
ussprinceton2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:20 PM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussprinceton2004 View Post
..thanks for the replies...I have a Towardpro MG946R, just like you do. Are you using a Castle 10A BEC with yours? I have read on the specs on these MG946R servos, and it states that the operating voltage is 4.8-7.2V...Do you think I can set the voltage on my Castle 10A BEC to 7.2V using these servos (front and rear 4WS)? Or, should I just set the BECs to 6V?
Yes, a Castle 10A Bec but I seem to remember reading in Harley's build that he used a 25Amp bec for 4ws... I forget why.

I ran 7.2 on the first one, I switched to 7.0V on the second one, I guess just in case 7.2 was the ragged limit. That way if one of my spares was a "weak one" it should still swing 7V

I run a servo saver so I cant really say how much stronger it is at one or the other but it's painfully slow at 4V and 7V's is much less worse.

"the first one" met an immovable object at 20mph with an aluminum horn ruined the horn and chipped a tooth in the servo.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #51
Quarry Creeper

Look in the description for links to the action!

Here's a direct link to a creek crossing
Axial Wraith, VXL powered suspension testing and trail ride - YouTube

Last edited by Speedweigand; 03-02-2012 at 06:02 PM. Reason: fixed link
Old 03-10-2012, 10:35 PM   #52
Quarry Creeper

Old 03-14-2012, 01:23 AM   #53
Quarry Creeper

Spyshot: Ol' Blue 2.0

It's almost time to unveil the new paint, upgrades and accessories...
Old 03-16-2012, 12:44 AM   #54
Quarry Creeper

Foffing test run
Old 03-19-2012, 01:46 AM   #55
Quarry Creeper

Old 04-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #56
Quarry Creeper

Old 04-28-2012, 04:53 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
...I run a servo saver so I cant really say how much stronger it is at one or the other but it's painfully slow at 4V and 7V's is much less worse.

"the first one" met an immovable object at 20mph with an aluminum horn ruined the horn and chipped a tooth in the servo.
What servo saver are you using? What steering linkage? Ya that kinda abuse will make the whole suspension sloppy...lol.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:15 AM   #58
RCC Addict

Quote:
Yes, a Castle 10A Bec but I seem to remember reading in Harley's build that he used a 25Amp bec for 4ws... I forget why.

I ran 7.2 on the first one, I switched to 7.0V on the second one, I guess just in case 7.2 was the ragged limit. That way if one of my spares was a "weak one" it should still swing 7V

I run a servo saver so I cant really say how much stronger it is at one or the other but it's painfully slow at 4V and 7V's is much less worse.

Mine died at 7.2v :( Was fine for a couple of weeks and then smoke started billowing out. Sad. The next cheap servo lasted one run so I have now bit the bullet and bought a Hitec 5765MH. Hope this is a good un!
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:03 AM   #59
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
What servo saver are you using? What steering linkage? Ya that kinda abuse will make the whole suspension sloppy...lol.
Details
Traxxas VXL-3s system(motor/esc)
Normal gearing 16/87 48pitch
Castle BEC
Hot Racing knuckles and c-hubs
Hot Racing 120mm shocks
Toward Pro MG946R servo @ 7.0 volts
Kimbrough 1/4 scale servo saver(black) or Traxxas "large" saver (white)
Robinson Racing transmission gears
Axial 43/13 HD differential gears
RC4WD frt diff cover
Vanquish rear diff cover
Custom shock mounts and upper tie bars
Custom straight links, 8/32 mild steel all-thread w/6mm brakeline, Traxxas Revo ends
Custom length 4 link bars approx 5mm shorter front, 10mm shorter rear
Custom 4 bend steering link using the XR side of knuckles and lovin' the ackerman
Custom aluminum axle toobz
Custom aluminum body with integrated inner fenders and 2 piece aluminum hood
Custom tonneau cover made from wax coated paper, under coat, and gloss black paint
JB Welded Axial HD locker in rear, HPI open front differential with 500K silicone diff lock
Modified stock driveshafts, dual females w/aluminum inner tube
Stock plastic rear axle lock outs
Stock dog bones
Battery in rear, 4000mah 3S

Thanks for lookin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0wiz0o View Post
Mine died at 7.2v :( Was fine for a couple of weeks and then smoke started billowing out. Sad. The next cheap servo lasted one run so I have now bit the bullet and bought a Hitec 5765MH. Hope this is a good un!
That hitec looks stout hope it works well for you. I still have a pile of cheap ones to finish abusing lol... I'll have a new Stupid Wraith Tricks video out today where I make a half a dozen attempts at my roof from a 3' quarter pipe I had to stop, I broke a rear shock mount, funny thing is I was getting ready to make new ones in black anyway.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #60
RCC Addict

It is stout...it's to big I think! Quarter scale!!! Need to cancel order!
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axial, speedweigand, wraith