Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Moony's Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2011, 06:53 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

nice rigs man, i love how you can change the diff covers. also like how you added a spare tyre, nice!!!!
joelKID984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2011, 12:17 AM   #22
Pebble Pounder

Alright guys, decided to change it up a bit here. Ive been wanting a scaler deep down, but the wraith sometimes is just too big or too wide. I stumbled upon a thread and saw the scx10 axles underneath a wraith and I had to have it done on mine. I love the more scale look to it, without it being too small. So, out to the shop I went to dig out my old scx10 chassis which still had the axles on them, with aluminum steering link upgrade! Snatched that and with a couple changes to the wraith, it works pretty good! Also its mounted with 1.9 mickey thompsons Stoked about these tires, my brother used them on his scaler a while ago and these are super soft and grip pretty well. Also the size of them is nice too!

Im using the following right now..

1. 98mm shocks
2. MIP Front Driveshaft (SCX10)
3. Integy Rear Driveshaft (SCX10)
4. STRC Aluminum Wraith Lower Links
5. Axial SCX10 Steering Link Aluminum

Issues/Changes with each

1. A little bit too much uptravel (rubs the rear tire on the body) but the droop is just about perfect. I used a couple spacers in the rear on the body mount to get the spring off the "frame"
2. MIP Shaft has PLENTY of shaft leftover, no problem with this wheelbase
3. Integy Shaft also has a good amount of room left
4. STRC Alum Links are a bit too long in the front. My servo hits the bottom piece of the bumper when the suspension travels up. Just need to get some shorter links for the upper and lower front. The rear IMO is fine the way it is. The drop off clearance is right around 90 degrees too
5. No changes to the links, the main link is 106mm if anyone didnt know yet

Excited to use it on the trails! Will be shortening the wheelbase in the front a tad, but other than that its perfect! Pictures to come tomorrow during the day
MoonyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:11 PM   #23
Pebble Pounder

I would send them back with the pictures you posted here. I live just south of you in Silverton Or, do you ever go to the high rocks in Oregon city to crawl.
Quartermaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:18 PM   #24
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Moony's Build

Going to be reviving this project since I robbed the axles out for my scale build (mistake), so i will be building it back. I ordered some locked-up beadlock rings for the 6 hole wheels, and then I ordered some vanquish f&r links uppers and lowers, inner aluminum chubs and the redesigned outer knuckles with the aluminum lock outs. I have the silver aluminum axles from them already here so its just a matter for when parts show up. Also got a torquemaster esc which is fully waterproof, YES! So, hopefully I can get this one rolling again. It wont look the same after i get all this on!
Old 04-21-2012, 04:23 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

Got it finished! For now atleast, but I got it all up and running. Put the chassis servo kit with the panhard on there, with the alum axles and the 3/16" drag link. Looks pretty good and it flexes really well. Only am running a 3 link up front, no issues with it! Mounted my 1.9 boggers on there for now until I get some real alum wheels w/ 2.2 micket thompsons or boggers. Leaning towards boggers, I would cut them like I did the fronts on mine now, makes a huge difference! Also mounted my ESC underneath the batter tray in the back, its nice and tucked away, and i waterproofed the stock electronics box with some sound caulk I had in the shop. Sealed the wire holes pretty good and then sealed the whole lid crack. Water will not be a fear of mine anymore! Hopefully will get out to crawl it tonight

And the pictures ofcourse

Panhard and drag link w/ tie rod. All 3/16" thick

Torquemaster Waterproof ESC, running stock driveshaft and a MIP

Lights fixed in panels to get out of the rocks

Should be getting the rest of my vanquish parts soon, got the lockouts, redesigned knuckles, and the c hubs with a full set of links.

Running prolines up front, ghetto shocks in the rear until I get more prolines

Old 04-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #26
Pebble Pounder

Got a picture of how I did the waterproofing. Hopefully it works, I used as much caulk as I could and then kind of swayed the caulk around the wires to make a good seal. Dried pretty quick too!

Old 04-21-2012, 10:17 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

Went to high rocks today for the first time with the new setup, i am pleased with how it handles! Not top heavy, the shocks are at a perfect length and it runs really smooth. Only thing that came loose was the knuckle screws and thats from the stripped out plastic. Still waiting on the vanquish parts so that will fix that. Also the waterproofing worked excellent! Only complaint is my servo is pretty weak, and I dont have a good battery.

I was looking at Turnigy batteries, are those any good? Saw this 2c battery, im unsure about a 3c, I dont have really any upgrades besides the motor that can handle the abuse..

HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store : Turnigy 5000mAh 2S 40C Lipo Pack (DE Warehouse)

Heres a couple snapshots from my phone of today, didnt have the camera on me

Old 04-21-2012, 10:50 PM   #28
Rock Stacker

Truck is looking real good , high rocks is a great place!
greener2732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:13 AM   #29
RCC Addict

I run a bunch of Turnigy batteries and have never had a problem. Also Skylipo's are great. Both are excellent budget friendly batteries.
Rjohn929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:28 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Your suppose to use the XR10 rode end pack and use the long offset/bent rod ends with the STRC links and they will be the exact same length as stock. I know this because I did research when I installed all STRC aluminum upgrades.
SkinInc69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:50 AM   #31
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by greener2732 View Post
Truck is looking real good , high rocks is a great place!
Thankyou sir I cant wait for the island to open up when the water level gets a little lower. High rocks is more for competition crawlers in my opinion, the island is really nice for all the options! Plus the rocks are grippier out there haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjohn929 View Post
I run a bunch of Turnigy batteries and have never had a problem. Also Skylipo's are great. Both are excellent budget friendly batteries.
Perfect! Do you think with stock drivetrain besides the motor and driveshafts would I be alright with a 2c or a 3c? Im not for speed obviously so which is better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinInc69 View Post
Your suppose to use the XR10 rode end pack and use the long offset/bent rod ends with the STRC links and they will be the exact same length as stock. I know this because I did research when I installed all STRC aluminum upgrades.
Wish I would have known that, oh well! I have vanquish parts coming soon so Ill just be using those anyways. The wheelbase is a tad too long right now for the 1.9's but its actually not too bad. I will be getting 2.2's sometime down the road when I can decide on either boggers or mickey thompsons. My brothers mickeys are really soft and they grip really really good. The boggers I did trim on one side of the tread, I would do a full trim on all corners with the boggers.. decisions decisions..

Put my tow strap on the bumper I think I want to get a BGR fab bumper, i like the stinger one..

Last edited by MoonyJohn; 04-22-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #32
Pebble Pounder

Some updates..

Got my vanquish c hubs and knuckles, axial universal axle shafts with a new set of tires and rims.. Went with the HB Rovers and SLW v3, running 9 oz. of weight in each of the front tires. Using the stock foams too, holy cow they are soft!

Heres a shakedown from today, overall im really impressed! Crawled super well! Tires helped so much, and the steering was great except for the weak servo. Waterproof is holding up too!

Brothers wraith

Mounted my hi lift and relocated my strap somewhere less sloppy

Drop off

Next mods are lipo batteries and a better servo.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:37 AM   #33
Pebble Pounder

Went to high rocks again, ran alright! Had to pull the strap out a couple times, my brothers motor was heating up so left it to the strap to pull him to rescue! Haha, usually im not into scale stuff while crawling, ive never used it before and it was a lot of fun! Took some pictures on my phone, didnt have the camera on me :(

Towing me up

Towing my brother up

Old 05-14-2012, 07:05 PM   #34
Pebble Pounder

Did some customizing in the past couple days. I used some popsicle sticks and made a flat bed and also got some camo vinyl off ebay. Love the look now! More unique than the average wraith. I think it looks like those RTV camo atv things..

Old 05-17-2012, 06:59 PM   #35
Pebble Pounder

Hey guys, been thinking of getting a new servo but I dont know where to really look as to whats the best bang for the buck.. I am going to be redoing some electronics and was thinking of getting the servo done while its all open. Any suggestions? I am running the Hitec 645 and its very weak. Im also running 8-9 oz in each tire up front.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #36
RCC Addict

HS-5995TG Servo

Best deal out there right now. I picked up a couple to have as spares!
Rjohn929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #37
Pebble Pounder

Awesome! Just ordered one

Anyone have any recommendations for lighting? I saw at my LHS they had a ight plug in that gives you 3 extra slots so for a total of 4 light plug-ins. Ive seen people with the LED light bar, also thinking about running rock lights too for those boring nights.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:22 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

That's a smokin deal for that servo. I run one currently and love it. It works better than a 7955, 7945, and even a 7954. The 7950 is the best but alot more money

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
phllint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:56 PM   #39
Pebble Pounder

Awesome man!! I am very interested in 1.9's how did they work out in detail...
derek_18mt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #40
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by phllint View Post
That's a smokin deal for that servo. I run one currently and love it. It works better than a 7955, 7945, and even a 7954. The 7950 is the best but alot more money

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
That's good news.. For a bec, will I need one? I have the torque master waterproof escape and heard that it programs itself to send power to the servo..

The 1.9 boggers were bad, didn't hook and they had a hard sidewall. I'm loving the rovers, soft and perfect foams