Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Wraith
Loading

Notices

Thread: Bender's Wraith Kit Build

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 01:02 PM   #21
TN State Champ 11,12,13
 
Pdog7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: KTM Talk.com
Posts: 1,796
Default

Can you shed some light on the correct orientation of the diff gears. I have a RTR and my diff gears are opposite from what the manual calls for. I had to reverse the motor direction on the controller to get the wheels to spin in the correct direction. Does this really matter? Will it hurt the motor?
Pdog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2011, 09:32 AM   #22
2006 2.2 National Champ
 
BENDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Big Bear Lake
Posts: 8,328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdog7 View Post
Can you shed some light on the correct orientation of the diff gears. I have a RTR and my diff gears are opposite from what the manual calls for. I had to reverse the motor direction on the controller to get the wheels to spin in the correct direction. Does this really matter? Will it hurt the motor?
The ring gear orientation isn't critical, and long as both axles spin the same direction. Axial motors can be run either way without any problems.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:03 AM   #23
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 954
Default

Do you think running them in the opposite way as the manual shows helps limit torque twist?
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:07 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Long Island
Posts: 347
Default

If i go to my LHS and order the ax30395 hd ring and pinions will it come cross drilled and spiral cut?
I know i saw it somewhere around here that it does!
Thanks and nice wraith
Cableman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:52 AM   #25
2006 2.2 National Champ
 
BENDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Big Bear Lake
Posts: 8,328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
Do you think running them in the opposite way as the manual shows helps limit torque twist?
It could help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cableman View Post
If i go to my LHS and order the ax30395 hd ring and pinions will it come cross drilled and spiral cut?
I know i saw it somewhere around here that it does!
Thanks and nice wraith
They do come with the holes for our new driveshafts now, and they are still spiral cut.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:00 AM   #26
XDR
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wichita Falls
Posts: 193
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cableman View Post
If i go to my LHS and order the ax30395 hd ring and pinions will it come cross drilled and spiral cut?
I know i saw it somewhere around here that it does!
Thanks and nice wraith
I just ordered a set of underdrive gears about a month ago and they wern't drilled. So depends if they got the new stock in.
XDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:03 PM   #27
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mapleton
Posts: 521
Default

Hey Bender,

I digging the black nice work. Im in the process of building a wraith but I'm gearing it to be more crawler then rock racer. It's kicking my butt I'm having heat problems on 3 cell. I'm thinking I have a bad bearing in my tranny.
Moosekey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:39 PM   #28
2006 2.2 National Champ
 
BENDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Big Bear Lake
Posts: 8,328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDR View Post
I just ordered a set of underdrive gears about a month ago and they wern't drilled. So depends if they got the new stock in.
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMoosekey View Post
Hey Bender,

I digging the black nice work. Im in the process of building a wraith but I'm gearing it to be more crawler then rock racer. It's kicking my butt I'm having heat problems on 3 cell. I'm thinking I have a bad bearing in my tranny.
What exactly is getting too hot, motor, esc? Could be binding somewhere, like you mentioned. I would check that first. The stock Wraith motor likes to be run at higher speeds to keep it cool. Extreme rock crawling will heat the motor up pretty quick, unless you gear it down.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:23 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 808
Posts: 136
Default

Sick Wraith!! Black on black looks mean...can't wait for a video.
Pau Hana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:09 PM   #30
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Italy
Posts: 190
Default

Very sexy Wraith you got there, diggin' the matt stripes on glossy, really cool

Not meant to hijack your thread Bender, but please have you got any news on the dig setup release date?
rockspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:31 PM   #31
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Farmington/Lakeville
Posts: 165
Default

After reading you step-by-step build, it looks as though you built your axles according to the manual... how come you didnt end up with the short shaft issue many of us are having?

Rear axle short shaft issue?
Adamsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #32
2006 2.2 National Champ
 
BENDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Big Bear Lake
Posts: 8,328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
Sick Wraith!! Black on black looks mean...can't wait for a video.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockspider View Post
Very sexy Wraith you got there, diggin' the matt stripes on glossy, really cool

Not meant to hijack your thread Bender, but please have you got any news on the dig setup release date?
Thanks.

Unfortunately, I don't have any info on the dig at this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamsdad View Post
After reading you step-by-step build, it looks as though you built your axles according to the manual... how come you didnt end up with the short shaft issue many of us are having?

Rear axle short shaft issue?
Sorry I missed this the first time. The short shaft side on my Wraith was a little snug, and the lockout didn't slide on as easy as the long side shaft. But, I assembled it anyway. The ring and pinion gears will seat in after a battery pack or two, and everything will loosen up. I have since gone to 4ws, so I now have CVD's in the rear axle. If you try to run your Wraith and it still feels tight after a battery or two, give our customer service department a call at 949-600-8642.



Build update:
This past weekend I took some time to add rear steer to my Wraith. I wrote an article on the install for Axial's blog. I also hit up the local scale spot to shoot some video of it, I will get that edited asap. I have never had a scaler with 4ws, and I have to say it is pretty fun.

Link to article:
Add 4 Wheel Steering to Your Wraith






Last edited by BENDER; 05-07-2013 at 10:07 AM.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:30 AM   #33
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Albany
Posts: 316
Default

Rig looks great. Nice write up too. I was a little worried about cutting up the chassis, but it looks like a really simple fix.
slickwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #34
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 220
Default

Very cool, in the process of finishing my build as well. I have the Tekin 10.5 brushless I will be throwing in mine. What gearing are you planning on going with? Stock 80/20?
Beej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:42 PM   #35
2006 2.2 National Champ
 
BENDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Big Bear Lake
Posts: 8,328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwillie View Post
Rig looks great. Nice write up too. I was a little worried about cutting up the chassis, but it looks like a really simple fix.
Thanks. It is pretty simple to do, and replacing the cage pieces later if you decide to go back to front steer only shouldn't be too bad as far as cost goes either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beej View Post
Very cool, in the process of finishing my build as well. I have the Tekin 10.5 brushless I will be throwing in mine. What gearing are you planning on going with? Stock 80/20?
Thanks.

I am running the stock gearing on 2S with a Tekin RS Pro ESC.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:08 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 220
Default

hanks, I will run the stock gearing as well then. No heat issues? I will be running 2s with an MMP.
Beej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:39 PM   #37
2006 2.2 National Champ
 
BENDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Big Bear Lake
Posts: 8,328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beej View Post
hanks, I will run the stock gearing as well then. No heat issues? I will be running 2s with an MMP.
I haven't noticed any yet, the 2S lipo doesn't heat electronics up like a 3S does. But, in the heat of summer that may change. I do have plenty of room to gear down too if need be.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:20 PM   #38
2006 2.2 National Champ
 
BENDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Big Bear Lake
Posts: 8,328
Default

The video is up.

Link:
Video - Wraith Kit Build with 4WS
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:19 PM   #39
MEOW
 
Natedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wackifornia
Posts: 11,645
Default Re: Bender's Wraith Kit Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
looks great minus the diff covers.

the color and design on the diff covers turns me off them.
I like it and the hard anodized diff covers...nice! Might have to buy a Wraith to complement my Honcho! Thanks!

LOoking forward to more updates.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:00 PM   #40
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 1,166
Default Re: Bender's Wraith Kit Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER View Post
The video is up.

Link:
Video - Wraith Kit Build with 4WS

Bender Just saw the whole video, and it came out Bad A$$!!
muddywaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com