RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial Wraith (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/)
-   -   Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added! (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/346212-choosing-motor-esc-your-wraith-gearing-added.html)

crawler_noob 01-31-2012 10:10 PM

Re: Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith

And the Holmes torquemaster or crawlmaster will work with the stock esc?

thanks in advance

Harley 02-01-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crawler_noob (Post 3539231)
And the Holmes torquemaster or crawlmaster will work with the stock esc?

thanks in advance

It all depends on the turn. Read the first couple posts. All the brushed motors suggested will work with the stock ESC.

shwng1973 02-02-2012 04:50 PM

Harley
Would a HH rock racer combo give me good speed? Not crawling with it, just trail.
It comes with a 20t motor and would it be good with a 32p 60t spur and 15t pinion?
Going to order tonight.
Thank you again.

Harley 02-02-2012 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shwng1973 (Post 3543010)
Harley
Would a HH rock racer combo give me good speed? Not crawling with it, just trail.
It comes with a 20t motor and would it be good with a 32p 60t spur and 15t pinion?
Going to order tonight.
Thank you again.

I would go 27t. Even trail riding needs low end for tree roots and such. Post 2 applies for you.

shwng1973 02-02-2012 05:43 PM

Thanks man also going to get a 20t for the beach runs. Since I will be there most of the summer.
Have a great day.

Rjohn929 02-02-2012 06:04 PM

What about 550 sized brushless motors? I see some info on the Tekin pro4 but what about Novak or Trinity? I have a Novak Ballistic 4.5 that I'm waiting on some pinions to try and I know its going to be fast but I'm only running 2s and my whole driveline is upgraded. Anybody else try a Novak 550 or a Trinity Monster Horsepower? I only use MMP so the Novak controllers are not an issue. "thumbsup"

Harley 02-02-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rjohn929 (Post 3543164)
What about 550 sized brushless motors? I see some info on the Tekin pro4 but what about Novak or Trinity? I have a Novak Ballistic 4.5 that I'm waiting on some pinions to try and I know its going to be fast but I'm only running 2s and my whole driveline is upgraded. Anybody else try a Novak 550 or a Trinity Monster Horsepower? I only use MMP so the Novak controllers are not an issue. "thumbsup"

Keep the KV in the low 3000 or under.

Duckhunter501 02-03-2012 03:44 AM

I've got a cc sidewinder sv2 esc just sitting in the garage, and was just curious if it would be powerful enough to run the tekin redline 13.5 or if I would need the mmp.

Harley 02-03-2012 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duckhunter501 (Post 3544023)
I've got a cc sidewinder sv2 esc just sitting in the garage, and was just curious if it would be powerful enough to run the tekin redline 13.5 or if I would need the mmp.

You need a sensored controller.

Hoosierdady 02-04-2012 07:56 AM

I'm lost here, I'm buying the Tekin13.5t and Mamba max pro setup. What do I need as far as a link, field programmer, etc?

squish72 02-04-2012 08:03 AM

to program the esc you will need to use either the field card or the castle link.
they both basicaly do the same thing. the advantage goes to the castle link because you can install updates to the firmware but need to use a pc to do it. with the field card you dont need a pc to change the settings on the esc. hope this helps

Hoosierdady 02-04-2012 08:07 AM

more than you know. Your a life saver bub. Im clicking the buy button as we speak

Rjohn929 02-04-2012 09:51 AM

So I installed my novak 4.5 550 with 21/80 gearing. It is exactly what I wanted. Excellent speed and really good crawling. I'm going to switch over to 32p and will lower the gearing a little but I don't want to lose much wheel speed. I only run 2s lipos and it's definitely not too much motor as long as the drivetrain is built up. FWIW "thumbsup"

Hoosierdady 02-04-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoosierdady (Post 3546169)
I'm lost here, I'm buying the Tekin13.5t and Mamba max pro setup. What do I need as far as a link, field programmer, etc?

Ok, so using this setup, what gearing should I run. Mostly trail runs, but I also want some low end for crawling. I've been reading through the posts, but it's hard to find because I'm shopping while Im working. Also, I've never seen a Wraith in person so I dont know what lipo to pick up. Definately going 3S with this setup, but which pack fits the best? I figured on putting it in front of the firewall.

Harley 02-04-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoosierdady (Post 3546353)
Ok, so using this setup, what gearing should I run. Mostly trail runs, but I also want some low end for crawling. I've been reading through the posts, but it's hard to find because I'm shopping while Im working. Also, I've never seen a Wraith in person so I dont know what lipo to pick up. Definately going 3S with this setup, but which pack fits the best? I figured on putting it in front of the firewall.

Stock ratio is 4:1. Start there and see if you want it lower. Gearing isn't hard, people seem to complicate it. People fit all kinds of batteries up front. Find something the size of a stick pack or less.

Hoosierdady 02-04-2012 12:18 PM

ok. I found in Bondos build he used a 3S 25c 2500mah. Think I'll start there. Ty for the input sir

BELADOG 02-05-2012 04:06 AM

Whew!
Just finished 22pgs and was able to make a comfortable educated purchase!

@ Harley...Damn man you are a champ.
your dedication to this forum and knowledge base is simply unreal, and that's coming from an HK admin! Lol.

Thank you very much!

I went with a MMP and 18.5 Ballistic.
If its sub par I will trigger on the brushed rig.

Best,
Jake

Harley 02-05-2012 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BELADOG (Post 3547928)
Whew!
Just finished 22pgs and was able to make a comfortable educated purchase!

@ Harley...Damn man you are a champ.
your dedication to this forum and knowledge base is simply unreal, and that's coming from an HK admin! Lol.

Thank you very much!

I went with a MMP and 18.5 Ballistic.
If its sub par I will trigger on the brushed rig.

Best,
Jake

Reading this whole thread is probably kind of funny to see the same question and response so many times.

Sounds like you know what you want if after reading this you went with that setup. That will be a great setup for crawling and some trail riding. With 3s it will have decent wheel speed but nothing crazy. 2s will be slower but great control. If its not fast enough you can always buy just a rotor for your motor and change it up the cheap way.

BELADOG 02-05-2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley (Post 3548270)
Reading this whole thread is probably kind of funny to see the same question and response so many times.

Lol. That is exactly why I mentioned Im an HK Admin:ror:
Seen it a million times and am blown away at your patience:shock:
I refused to ask a question I knew you probably answered five times so I just jumped in. I was learning so much from the replies you posted that I just kept going...lol.

I figure climbing rocky canyon will be my primary playground so I wanted the low end grunt. And the wheel speed should be decent or at least comparable to stock right? It will only ever see 3s.
The 13.5 Redline was the boarderline to still retain low end correct? I went with the ballistic 18.5 cause I figured it was a better motor all around.

I will make this my FPV semi scale rig.

I will be following this forum closely now and am excited to know you are all here. Great forum!
Thanks again!

MaxxPain 02-05-2012 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rjohn929 (Post 3546342)
So I installed my novak 4.5 550 with 21/80 gearing. It is exactly what I wanted. Excellent speed and really good crawling. I'm going to switch over to 32p and will lower the gearing a little but I don't want to lose much wheel speed. I only run 2s lipos and it's definitely not too much motor as long as the drivetrain is built up. FWIW "thumbsup"

I run 14/54 32p and Im very happy with my 550 Speed.

getoan 02-06-2012 07:16 PM

Wow, what a pile of info! Thanks for all the work keepin it up, I'm learning as fast as I can go through the pages.

mtgrizzlymn 02-08-2012 05:41 PM

im running the timbuck 2 and want to change to something better not real happy, want more speed able to use 3s packs and be a good crawler NO cogging went there alread just get more confused the more i read. please make my desisision for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Harley 02-08-2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtgrizzlymn (Post 3555704)
im running the timbuck 2 and want to change to something better not real happy, want more speed able to use 3s packs and be a good crawler NO cogging went there alread just get more confused the more i read. please make my desisision for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Read post 2. It gives specific models. Just pick a setup.

BONDONUTZ 02-09-2012 07:25 AM

Not saying this is for everyone due to haveing to dremel a link mount slightly but I recently installed a Tekin SCX4 550 2pole 4000kv with a MMP running 2s and It's butter smooth at tiny throttle inputs and has more power than my buddies HH 35T on 3s. It's geared 52/13 for almost 20mph, yeah thats crazy fast but I also do a little FOFF action with it and the wheel speed is a blessing here in FL since the terrain is dry and loose mostly.
I tried several sensored motor/esc combos and this is one I'm sticking with for sure !

Farmer 02-11-2012 03:53 PM

Help me out guys. I know I want to run the Tekin 4 pole 4x4 sensored motor. Just can't decide on the 3300 or 4000. This isn't really gonna be a crawler so super lower speed isn't really needed. I really just want to haul ass and jump stuff. I keep getting different info from local racers so I was hoping a couple of you are running them and could give some input. I plan on running 3 cell and a Mamba Max Pro.

Thanks,
Farmer

Harley 02-11-2012 04:28 PM

The 3300 is pretty fast. When I had the VXL in mine (3700) it was pretty much in controllable on the top end.

Farmer 02-11-2012 04:40 PM

Thanks man, so the 4000 would a jack ass move. I can't wait to finally get to drive this pig:mrgreen: How does this style motor compare to the motor in the post above mine?

Thanks,
Farmer

quadracer905 02-11-2012 09:24 PM

Is the Timbuk 2 a POS? I just bought one. Hope not...

kochj 02-11-2012 10:06 PM

motors with 5mm shafts....

The question is this...
I have a Castle Creations Max Race Pro SCT 25.2V 3800kV System
I found that Robinson Racing Hard 48P Machined 17T Pinion 5m/m Bore
is the smallest pinion that is made to work on a 48p system....
Otherwise it will be needed to converted to 32p ???? Could someone explain this? oR is it already 32p gears??

This uses a 5mm shaft (like the pro4) and if guys are using that then I know I could use this one as well...

Could some one provide part #'s or should I ask in a dif/ post?

I have other options from a older AE sphere brushless/brushed and have a Epic brushed stocker....for 1/10 stadium trucks...
I have all the lathes and all the other junk that goes with the brushed motors...so isn't a issue...but This will be going
into my sons truck...He is 7yrs old...The XR-10 is too much of a serious crawler for him....
And you can't start piecemealing electronics together, and expect it to work properly...EX...dif. turn motors and dif. brand speed controllers and dif. bats...

Harley 02-11-2012 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kochj (Post 3562808)
motors with 5mm shafts....

The question is this...
I have a Castle Creations Max Race Pro SCT 25.2V 3800kV System
I found that Robinson Racing Hard 48P Machined 17T Pinion 5m/m Bore
is the smallest pinion that is made to work on a 48p system....
Otherwise it will be needed to converted to 32p ???? Could someone explain this? oR is it already 32p gears??

This uses a 5mm shaft (like the pro4) and if guys are using that then I know I could use this one as well...

Could some one provide part #'s or should I ask in a dif/ post?

I have other options from a older AE sphere brushless/brushed and have a Epic brushed stocker....for 1/10 stadium trucks...
I have all the lathes and all the other junk that goes with the brushed motors...so isn't a issue...but This will be going
into my sons truck...He is 7yrs old...The XR-10 is too much of a serious crawler for him....
And you can't start piecemealing electronics together, and expect it to work properly...EX...dif. turn motors and dif. brand speed controllers and dif. bats...

Stock the truck comes with 48p gears. Most people go to 32p when they start throwing big power in it. I would suggest you do the same. 60/14 gearing would be a good start.

Ugly Truckling 02-12-2012 02:42 PM

I currently have a Tekin RS with the latest firmware update with a 13.5 Redline running on 3s that I pulled from my shortcourse truck. I really like the speed and slow crawling ability but would like the drag brake to hold on decents. I have it turned all the way up but it acts more like a decent control as it still rolls slowly on decents regardless of forward and reverse, it will hold if I give it a little brake or trim it on the transmitter when I need it to hold. My question is, does the Mamba Max Pro hold any better than the Tekin RS or is this just the way it is? I'll switch ESC's if it's better, if not I'll just live with it.

Thanks

The Doc 02-12-2012 07:59 PM

My brushes need to be replaced, I'm just wondering how long should set of brushes last on a HH 13T on 3s with a 54/14 ratio. I do crawling but also do speed runs I probabily have about 2 hrs of total run time.

Harley 02-12-2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Doc (Post 3564629)
My brushes need to be replaced, I'm just wondering how long should set of brushes last on a HH 13T on 3s with a 54/14 ratio. I do crawling but also do speed runs I probabily have about 2 hrs of total run time.

I don't know how long I had on my last set, but it was longer then 2 hours. I am guessing I have 6-8 hours on each set.

The Doc 02-12-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley (Post 3564676)
I don't know how long I had on my last set, but it was longer then 2 hours. I am guessing I have 6-8 hours on each set.

What would you suggest for a brushed motor if I want to change out the motor for fast runs only. I 'm running a BRXL.

Thanks

Harley 02-12-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Doc (Post 3564895)
What would you suggest for a brushed motor if I want to change out the motor for fast runs only. I 'm running a BRXL.

Thanks

Fast only and brushed... Hmmm maybe a 17 turn at the lowest, there is a lot of drag in these trucks and I'm skeptic about their ability to keep a fast motor from burning up.

asiddd 02-12-2012 11:53 PM

Hello! I finally came, my set of MMP 1/10 and Tekin Redline 17.5. Running on 3s.
But how strange, on a small turnover will not want to climb. There is a smooth startup. Maybe I did not have the correct settings?
What will advise checking out! mode is automatically MMP.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0nBW...ature=youtu.be

BONDONUTZ 02-13-2012 03:19 PM

Q for someone Brushed savy; Can a high qaulity Brushed motor (Holmes Etc) be run on 4s with a MambaMaxPro with the BEC disconnected of course ?

BONDONUTZ 02-13-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ugly Truckling (Post 3563895)
I currently have a Tekin RS with the latest firmware update with a 13.5 Redline running on 3s that I pulled from my shortcourse truck. I really like the speed and slow crawling ability but would like the drag brake to hold on decents. I have it turned all the way up but it acts more like a decent control as it still rolls slowly on decents regardless of forward and reverse, it will hold if I give it a little brake or trim it on the transmitter when I need it to hold. My question is, does the Mamba Max Pro hold any better than the Tekin RS or is this just the way it is? I'll switch ESC's if it's better, if not I'll just live with it.

Thanks

MMP has a "Crawler Brake" setting or can be manually set up to 213% drag brake. Simple answer is YES, the MMP has Hella drag brake.
I'm running a Tekin SCX4 550 2pole 4000kv and my Wraith weighs 8+ lbs and the drag brake set at 150% and it keeps it locked up on decent.

Ugly Truckling 02-13-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BONDONUTZ (Post 3566224)
MMP has a "Crawler Brake" setting or can be manually set up to 213% drag brake. Simple answer is YES, the MMP has Hella drag brake.
I'm running a Tekin SCX4 550 2pole 4000kv and my Wraith weighs 8+ lbs and the drag brake set at 150% and it keeps it locked up on decent.

Thanks for the info BondoNutz I know there are better ESC's for brushed motors, I just wanted something to work with my brushless motor. It sounds like what I need. Looks like I'll be ordering me a MMP to replace the RS.

BIGNASTY 02-13-2012 05:21 PM

Great thread for motor/esc stuff, maybe too good. My eyes are spinning.
I just cooked my stock motor, I'm looking to crawl mostly with some bashing/donuts etc... I'm gonna keep the stock esc for now, I'm looking at the HH 13t CM or a 27t TM. Any preferences?
Also looking to regear spur and pinion???
Any help is appreciated!