Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Drive shaft pins!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 04:16 PM   #1

Default Drive shaft pins!

call me a noob or what have you but i am having holy matrimony trying to get either drive shaft pin loose from the pinion shaft...

I have bent the 1.5mm wrench and honestly, im surprised i haven't stripped either of them out yet! i have been tapping on it lightly with a semi heavy object to "warm it up" and still nothing.... I'm letting the PB blaster set in right now but after being dowb for over a MONTH im ready for these beefy MIP replacments to be in there!

coming from the automotive world, i would have already hit it with a "pocket torch" to get the heat in there but i cant see how i could do that in this case without melting something down!

thx for any advice gents,

-Marcus
Sixohh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Drive shaft pins!

I am also in for any tips RCC peeps may throw out. Im in the same boat after I exposed mine to some salt water at the coast. I got the front out but the rear is frozen and I already broke one high quality allen trying to free it. Ive tried penetrant and heat with no effect. Mine is fine for now until I twist a shaft and it has to come apart.
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:08 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixohh View Post
call me a noob or what have you but i am having holy matrimony trying to get either drive shaft pin loose from the pinion shaft...

I have bent the 1.5mm wrench and honestly, im surprised i haven't stripped either of them out yet! i have been tapping on it lightly with a semi heavy object to "warm it up" and still nothing.... I'm letting the PB blaster set in right now but after being dowb for over a MONTH im ready for these beefy MIP replacments to be in there!

coming from the automotive world, i would have already hit it with a "pocket torch" to get the heat in there but i cant see how i could do that in this case without melting something down!

thx for any advice gents,

-Marcus

Would a Soldering iron get hot enough to heat the area up. A Dremel Cutof tool to cut up the drive shaft wrked for me. I was gettin ready to install E-Maxx shafts anyway.
gm0688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I had to drill one of mine out after I stripped it. It came out pretty easy.
slickwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:39 PM   #5

I broke a high end 1.5 hex wrench trying to remove one...wtf?had to grind it out...wut are they useing there to asemble these?
crawlerbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:06 AM   #6

I drilled out 3 and used a dremel on the 4th.
Naturally, new ones are on backorder.
I tried a spare from my mini revo but it was too short.
Scoutguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:43 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

If the metal is seized together then I'm not sure,,, BUT, if its due to factory thread locker just holding on that well, you can heat your Allen wrench very hot and put it in the hole.. Wait a minute for it to transfer the heat to the grub screw pin. that will break the loctite loose.
Ive had many in the past that I had to cut with a dremmel, but its not pretty.. Go so hot it melted the rubber sealed bearing sheids. This was on my AX10, they only had a grub. With an entire pin there's more spots to seize.
madkawi650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:25 AM   #8
RCC Addict

It's most likely a thread locker overload problem. Use your soldering iron to heat it up and break down the thread lock.
Rjohn929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:10 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Ran into this last nite with a pinion gear set screw, even broke the tip off my Hudy trying to get it out. The hole in the set screw was a little wore out so I was adding side pressure to try to break it loose then snap.
Put the tip of my soldering iron on the set screw for a couple of minutes and it came rite out.
transambill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:00 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

+1 for the soldering iron. I like to use a small 10 watt with a fine tip to get right in the set screw.
WValtakis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:45 AM   #11
RCC Addict

I will second the soldering iron idea. Have done that a couple times, when thread locker was used.
In my opinion the problem is the coatings the manufacturers are using. I think they react with the thread locker and make thread cement.

Give this a read if all else fails.
Stripped Hex Screw - Craftsman Screw Extractor
bigstu is offline   Reply With Quote

Drive shaft pins! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
steel shaft pins chiatw73 General Crawlers 4 02-02-2011 09:44 AM
Comp Crawler Chromoly Pins – Drive shaft, axle, wheel Erik D_lux Axles, Trannys, T-case 29 01-31-2011 01:05 PM
Junfac shaft pins and jb weld RickM Axial AX-10 Scorpion 4 10-01-2010 03:29 PM
**Give away!!** Comp Crawler Chromoly Pins – Drive shaft, axle, wheel Erik D_lux Team Losi Comp Crawler 61 07-09-2010 12:22 AM
night crawler drive pins samdog Team Losi Comp Crawler 5 11-18-2009 11:39 AM