Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: To Add Weight or Not To Add Weight???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #1

Default To Add Weight or Not To Add Weight???

Currently running a pretty much stock RTR (it's lowered and has a 2S lipo). Only drove it once so far, but I can definetly see the need to add some weight in the wheels for crawling purposes. I can also see the need to put a high torque servo in it, that stock one doesn't cut it at low speeds in rock!

Question is, is it worth adding some weight before I swap out the servo or will that really hold the servo back even more? I'm looking at a blue bird servo with 300oz+ but it will be a couple weeks before I can order it.
JCSXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2012, 11:38 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: To Add Weight or Not To Add Weight???

Well if you do use wheel weights make sure there even cause you don't want to get any wobble. And you might try what i did, i zip-tied two torpedo fishing weights just behind the front bumper to give some extra weight in the front.
BrainDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:26 PM   #3

i put some stick on wheel weights on the bottom side of my hood until i pull the trigger on yet another set of wheels and tires
sic_fx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

move your battery foreward first. I've always advocated dristributing the weight you have and need better before you add additional weight.
WarTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I moved my battery up front but them the rear was too light. I am upgrading a bunch of stuff right now and I am thinking about putting the battery back in the rear and weighting the front tires the same weight as he Battery.
The best way would be to add weight to the wheels (unsprung weight)
I bought some flat stick on weights and plan on putting them on the inside if the rim.
bmf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:03 PM   #6
Metal shaper

Problem with wheel weight is rotating mass. Hard on the drivetrain and bearings. Buy highland crawler lockers and try and save for aluminum housings. I weighted my wheels at first, and then bolted up another set non weighted. It was like going from 2s to 3s. Yes it helps crawling, but at a price. Even knuckle weights are a good option if you're not trying to go for scale looks.

Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose
CarterFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:30 AM   #7

I thought about moving the battery but I can't see that it would be worth the hassle. Yes it moves the weight up front but it doesn't lower the COG at all. Adding wheel weights does put strain on the drivetrain but it also lowers the COG which will help with all aspects of crawling.
JCSXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

I didn't think that moving the battery up front would make a difference too...until I did it. It allowed me to crawl lines I wouldn't even dream of doing stock. Keep in mind that the Wraith wasn't meant to be a full blown crawler, but the weight bias in the front really helps with a rig of this size. My wraith use to tumble backwards, or the front end would just bounce. I have weighted wheels too and that made a difference as well.
orientalgunz_00 is offline   Reply With Quote

To Add Weight or Not To Add Weight??? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anything besides stick on weights, that add weight? shadowrejects Tires and Wheels 14 09-10-2011 09:33 PM
New place to add front weight dano104 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 1 05-07-2009 08:51 PM
Another way to add weight Failedabortion Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 4 03-22-2009 03:44 PM
how much weight to add? 84CUCV Tires and Wheels 7 03-03-2009 07:46 AM
add wheel weight or not? your opinions requested WRXronald General Crawlers 3 02-14-2006 05:57 AM