Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Question about diffs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2012, 09:16 PM   #1

Default Question about diffs

So I'd like to apologize up front in case this is a stupid n00b question, and I should be looking for somewhere else.

Has anyone tried the differential conversion offered by SK Motion? I found the Facebook link and was wondering if it would be of any value. They claim it improves steering. I'm building a Wraith more as a trail truck, so I'm not sure if this would be useful or not.
Mycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2012, 09:56 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Question about diffs

Its just an open diff. That means that the wheels are not locked together. Sure it'd turn easier/better, but you're giving up traction. If one wheel is in the air or does not have much traction, it'll spin while the other doesn't move. Just like in a car.
Lukefalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:16 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I am currently running the front open diff in my wraith with a tick grease in it, and its great for bashing around, jumping, and very light trail use. It has saved my dog bones up front a few times, but the second it gets on rocks it really looses traction and cant go very far.
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
I am currently running the front open diff in my wraith with a tick grease in it, and its great for bashing around, jumping, and very light trail use. It has saved my dog bones up front a few times, but the second it gets on rocks it really looses traction and cant go very far.
This is similar to what I'm planning to do with my Wraith, so maybe I'll look more into it. Thanks for the info!
Old 03-26-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

If you did that conversion you would have to fab up a mini ARB air locker...lol. Then you could have best of both worlds.

Air Lockers
ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippoMan View Post
If you did that conversion you would have to fab up a mini ARB air locker...lol. Then you could have best of both worlds.

Air Lockers
That would be so cool! I admire all the members of this forum that have the mad machinist skills. I think some of these guys could scratch build a truck and cnc all their own parts. I'm still trying to figure out basic gearing, but I'm learning!

Question about diffs - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie Question about locked diffs Shinobid Axial AX-10 Scorpion 6 12-28-2008 08:18 AM
Quick question on locking the diffs (Performance) Welby Traxxas Crawlers 0 05-02-2008 12:56 PM
Torsion diffs vs. locked diffs RCMFMaxxMan General Crawlers 23 03-16-2008 02:35 AM
Locking diffs question. jason General Crawlers 30 04-15-2006 07:18 PM
LSD (not LST I am talking about diffs) question/opinions NeoSlayer888 General Crawlers 10 09-29-2004 02:52 PM