Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: New Wraith RTR owner--Front End Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #1

Default New Wraith RTR owner--Front End Question

Hi All,

I Just picked up a Shiney new RTR Wraith, and I have a couple of questions about upgrading some front end components. I dont like the flimsy plastic steering linkage, and I was considering getting rid of the dogbones while I'm at it.

My question is Should I just by the Axial Aluminum steering links like the Kit comes with, or should I go with another kind? It seems that there are TONS of options, and quite honestly, I'm looking to spend as little as possible (unless that particular part would be just as bad). It seems like anything would be better than the plastic that Axial used for these parts.

Also, with regard to the front universals, will the Axial Universals work without changing anything else?

Sorry, guys, I'm sure this has been covered time and time again, but the search function gives me so many results, that I've been reading for hours, and I'm still not sure what the best route is.

Thanks!

Sean
soapman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New Wraith RTR owner--Front End Question

Did you read Harley's Wraith Beginners Guide? Have you read other's build threads? Pics and info of products can be found.

Axial AR60 universals are a direct swap. Look up Vanquish Products and Chaotic Crawlers, they make very nice steering and drag links.

If you don't want to spend a load of money, replace items as they break.
chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:45 PM   #3

The axial universals have worked great for me so far. I think that is the best route. Any steering links are going to be more sturdy than the plastic ones. I bought the rc4wd links cheap and they have worked awesome as well.
DerekM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #4
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Axial Universals are a direct fit and I encourage you to get them.

For the steering linkage the Vanquish titanium tie rod is highly recommended. Don't waste your money on their drag link though.. It's not as much of a high stress part and just using a short Axial aluminum link or cobbling together some 8/32" all thread of the right length should be plenty strong enough and will save you some money.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
Axial Universals are a direct fit and I encourage you to get them.

For the steering linkage the Vanquish titanium tie rod is highly recommended. Don't waste your money on their drag link though.. It's not as much of a high stress part and just using a short Axial aluminum link or cobbling together some 8/32" all thread of the right length should be plenty strong enough and will save you some money.

Thanks for the advice! That is exactly what I was hoping for: I'll spend money where it makes sense, but I don't want to swap parts just for the sake of swapping parts.

BTW, Anyone use this linkage?
https://www.ckrccrawlers.com/hr-alum...st-p-4389.html
it is super inexpensive, but I don't want to waste the time, if it is flimsy.
soapman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:04 AM   #6

It's not that great because it used the stock plastic rod ends.

This is what I got, almost as cheap, but better:

http://store.rc4wd.com/Aluminum-Stee...th_p_1959.html
DerekM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:55 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I use 4mm all thread.. or Threaded rod as its called here.. ha
An I use 1/4 brake line. Pick up some Traxxas Revo rod ends cut the Threaded rod and a bit longer than needed to allow for the bend.. Thread the revo ends on and check length. This will allow you to know the length of the brake line sleeving needed. Cut the brakeline, remove on rod end, slide the brake line over the threaded rod, install the rod end, Add a small bend in the middle of the new rod you just made to allow differential clearance. I always make mine a bit long. then I can test fit after its bent and remove the rod end and trim the threaded rod and brake line a little at a time to get the length just right.. Its Super cheap to do and SUPER strong.
I use the same thing to make all my linkages for all my trucks. NEVER broke any yet.
madkawi650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:03 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338980415.774148.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  98.9 KB
Not a perfect picture of my steering link.. But it gives you an idea... In this pick I'm testing out Delrin drag link.. It's white 5/16 delrin.. Works fine for short links but is harder to make links with in my opinion.. Also, as soon as you bend it, it stays too flexabile.. No better than stock links..

Sent from my highly abused iPhone using Tapatalk
madkawi650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:44 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Here's the one I've been using for about 3 months:
Topcad Aluminum Steering Linkage PART: #23003gu
Cheap but sturdy...
trialbuyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #10
RCC Addict

I'm currently running CKRC's "Suicide Switch" steering, but it seems a bit sloppy to me. I'm in the process of making my own drag link & tie rod using 3/16 steel rod and 1/4" stainless tube for sleeving, along wit Revo rod ends. So far it's cost me about $13 for materials, with the rod ends being about $9. If it's not bomb proof, I don't know what is!
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote

New Wraith RTR owner--Front End Question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Saggy front end on new RTR RCT Axial SCX-10 8 02-02-2012 09:15 PM
new wraith owner ld markey Michigan 12 10-31-2011 06:04 PM
New RTR owner Eticket Axial AX-10 Scorpion 4 06-02-2008 08:33 AM