Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Felsenfest lockers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 10:29 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Felsenfest lockers

Where can I get a set of these no slop lockers for my Wraith?

Thanks for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
2-shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Felsenfest lockers

Here you go http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axles...ls-locker.html
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:41 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Alright!!! Thanks a ton!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
2-shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:28 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Don't waste the money. They don't tighten down on the axles good and come loose all the time.
hatefulboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:44 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

The problem isn't with the spools. They work very well in the regular AX style axles. I run them in all three of my Crawlers and the Wraith is the only one that has had any loosening issues.

The issue is that the stock universal shafts aren't long enough to allow all of the setscrew to bite into the shaft, especially on the ring gear side. Only about half the width of the setscrews lands on the shaft. Kinda sketchy. The rear straight shafts are barely long enough to allow proper engagement.

They can also be finicky for a first timer to set up. You must get them so the shaft is perfectly centered once tightened down. If not, the out of roundness will eventually work the setscrews loose. Patience is a virture when it comes to setting these up. If done properly you won't have to mess with them till you snap a shaft.

I located some knurled tipped 5x6mm setscrews on McMaster Carr for the front spool and it hasn't loosened up since, but I'm still not totally comfortable how little of the shaft actually engages with the setscrews.

Should go without saying, but red loctite is a must on clean dry parts.

Others claim to have good luck with the Hot Racing spools, but noone can tell me how snug the shafts fit into it and I can't deal with extra slop in the drivetrain as I feel it makes the truck unpredictable.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:33 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

"Quote" They can also be finicky for a first timer to set up. You must get them so the shaft is perfectly centered once tightened down. If not, the out of roundness will eventually work the setscrews loose. Patience is a virture when it comes to setting these up. If done properly you won't have to mess with them till you snap a shaft.

Exactly, took a couple of trys to get them rite but now that I have I've never had them loosen up. Have them front and rear in my Wraith running 4WS and about a dozen packs later there still tite. Also I'm only useing the blue loc-tite but the trick as mentioned is to set them up rite the first time.
Pulled my front axle apart last week to swap to overdrive gears and the set screws were still tite. The only thing I dislike is I have to start the set screws closest to the ring gear before bolting the locker to the ring gear.
Then you only tighten the set screws till there even with the surface of the locker, install the locker in the axle houseing, slide the axles in and tighten the set screw only till you feal it make contact with the axle, spin and repeat on the other side and go back and forth snugging them down till tite. What you don't want is the set screws to go 10 turns in on one side then only 2-3 on the other. The trick is to keep the axle ends centered in the locker.
transambill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:13 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I like the no slop idea but you cant beat the put it together and forget about it reliability of the HR spools.. IMHO
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
Others claim to have good luck with the Hot Racing spools, but noone can tell me how snug the shafts fit into it and I can't deal with extra slop in the drivetrain as I feel it makes the truck unpredictable.
The amount of slop in the HR SHD lockers is less then the stock but not enough to allow the tire to actually roll at all. The only time I notice slop in the locker is if I grab one tire and hold and try and spin the other.

As far as the no slop lockers they work great in a crawling only application but add a pro4 and you just start breaking axles everywhere. Thats what happened to me so I switched over to the HR SHD on a recommendation by a guy running a T8 in his wraith and haven't broken an axle since!!! Probably 10 or so packs on the SHD's and had a broken shaft every other run with the no-slop (and yes they were still tight, had to loosen them off to get the piece of axle out of them). I think once you go high powered motor you need some give somewhere and that seems to be the place my wraith wants it at!!!
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Felsenfest lockers - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replace Hr Lockers With Berg Lockers Yawzer General Crawlers 5 12-29-2008 10:51 PM