Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Newb wraith owner?..what first?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 03:59 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Newb wraith owner?..what first?

I just ordered a wraith rtr today and am wondering what is the first thing I should do to it, or just play until something breaks?
jayross101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2012, 05:23 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Newb wraith owner?..what first?

Search.
kennyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:27 AM   #3

Going with what breaks first is a good idea. But if you want to just upgrade things cause you can go check out the Beginners Guide For The Wraith by Harley. It is a sticky. And it has a good break down of what and why and in which order to upgrade.
I'm a first time RC guy and completely built my kit without having to ask one question on here thanks to all of Harley's posts/stickies. Just gotta read read read. But that sticky will have exactly what you're looking for in it.
MattPM0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:48 AM   #4

No upgrades needed imo - (don't load it down with metal). Mine is awesome right out of the box. Just confirm the screws are tight on the chubs after the first couple rides. Then keep running the crap out of it.
BioWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:24 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPM0000 View Post
Going with what breaks first is a good idea. But if you want to just upgrade things cause you can go check out the Beginners Guide For The Wraith by Harley. It is a sticky. And it has a good break down of what and why and in which order to upgrade.
I'm a first time RC guy and completely built my kit without having to ask one question on here thanks to all of Harley's posts/stickies. Just gotta read read read. But that sticky will have exactly what you're looking for in it.
I agree here.

First things first: Go over your Wraith and make sure all screws are tightened properly, paying special attention the the c-hub screws, as they tend to back out pretty easily. Best to pull them out and replace them with machine screws instead of the self tappers it comes with, but you could always use a bit of Loc-Tite on them, too. That's what I've done and it seems to work just fine.

I'd say the first thing you're going to want to upgrade is the stock servo to something worth having. The stock one is pretty weak. You can pick up a Hitec HS5995TG @ Servo City.com for $70 and have gobs of steering torque. You'll also want to pick up a Castle BEC and Castle Link. You can use the Castle link to program the BEC and the stock AE-2 speed control that comes in the RTR.

Aside from that, put some weight in the front wheels to keep the front end down when crawling. This will of course require the ungluing of the tires from the wheels. There are a couple of different methods posted on the forum to explain how to do this.

Other than these few things, take it out, play with it and figure out your driving style, and it will show you what you need to upgrade, either through broken/quickly worn parts, or lack of performance from stock parts. As an RTR, it's not terrible, but you'll find out quickly that there are definitely things that can be done much better.
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:33 AM   #6

my motor was fried 15 min outta the box. so i ordered a hh 540 torque master a 12t pinion and a 87t spur. while it was down i tore it all apart and replaced the stock links, chubs with aluminum parts. Upgraded the drive shafts and threw a set of stock redcat rs10 xt wheels with white dot rovers on em. i havent had a problem since i did all this and it goes like a tank. also i would recommend going over all the screws and putting a dab of lock tight on everyone. trust me it is worth the time and effort apposed to losing 3 or four screws everytime u go out.
mchury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:45 AM   #7
RCC Addict

^^Yeah...I think I got 2 packs outta' my stock Axial 20T motor. I then tried a Traxxas 12T 550 Titan, but it just runs too hot in the RTR Wraith. So I've since swapped to an Integy V11 35T with 32p 58/13 gearing and while it stays cooler longer, it's still getting a bit warm, so I need to see if I have something binding up somewhere.

Yeah, replacing the upper and lower links with steel/titanium will definitley be on your list. I think I rubberized my stock links by pack 5. While you're at it, you may as well replace the stock steering links with steel/titanium links as well. Most will say VP or Chaotic is the best you can buy....and in truth, it probably is. Don't rule out R2j, though. He makes good stuff and for quite a bit less money. I'm running his upper and lower links and they work just fine. In all honesty, though, if you're handy at all, you can make your own links with 3/8" steel rod, Traxxas Revo ball ends, a tap & die set, and a tubing bender. I'm working on steering links myself. My drag link is already done using the Revo ball ends, 3/8" steel rod, and 1/4" steel tubing as a sleeve. My drag link is about as bomb proof as you can get.
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:02 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioWheel View Post
No upgrades needed imo - (don't load it down with metal). Mine is awesome right out of the box. Just confirm the screws are tight on the chubs after the first couple rides. Then keep running the crap out of it.
For an out of the box rtr rig it is a great start, but just like everything else it dies need upgrades. You will find out soon enough. Just go with the fix it as it breaks idea. That way you can slowly turn it into exactly what you want it to be.
crawler nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:26 AM   #9

Yea i agree with the steering links as well also u are gonna wanna get a decent servo 2. nothing is worse than trying to turn when u cant.
mchury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

have fun for as long as it holds out. then upgrade and have more fun.
bmf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchury View Post
my motor was fried 15 min outta the box. so i ordered a hh 540 torque master a 12t pinion and a 87t spur. while it was down i tore it all apart and replaced the stock links, chubs with aluminum parts. Upgraded the drive shafts and threw a set of stock redcat rs10 xt wheels with white dot rovers on em. i havent had a problem since i did all this and it goes like a tank. also i would recommend going over all the screws and putting a dab of lock tight on everyone. trust me it is worth the time and effort apposed to losing 3 or four screws everytime u go out.
How was the motor destroyed? You should get credit for it from Axial since it died after 15 minutes. That's crazy.

If Axial is using poor stuff they should know about it - at least.
BioWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:08 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

the 80/20 gearing will kill any motor quick when crawling or doing hill climbs. its too much strain on it. get the gearing closer to 5:1 and the motor will probibly last for a while.
bmf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:43 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Thanks for all the info guys. I got a used one the other day and it has links, steering links, and diff covers. I noticed the servo is pretty weak so that will probably be the first to change. I'm gonna add weights and trim it quite a bit this week, and go through it more thoroughly, possibly paint the body too. Can't wait. I know most info is on here and lots of reading material. I'm trying to post more and become more active on here. Plus I gotta post like 30 times or something so I can view the classified section
Old 07-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayross101
Plus I gotta post like 30 times or something so I can view the classified section
Or... You can become a supporting member of the best RC Crawler forum on the internet by purchasing a star!!! That will get you to the classifieds quicker, and you help fund this wealth of info!!!
I was a skeptic at first, but I was shown the way and bought a star. Smartest thing I've ever done, Clark.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
2-shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Some updates, painted body and frame, redone shocks, chopped the rear end, weighted the front tires, relocated the battery to the front and light electronics to the rear. gonna hinge the hood tonight, and i'm waiting for my new battery to come so I can play for more than 10 minutes.
Photobucket
Old 07-30-2012, 07:39 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Drive it like you stole and upgrade the parts that break.
AR Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:18 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

hahahah, that is the plan for now.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:20 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Looks BadAss JR!!!

You know I gots your back on this one...And we'll take care of any problem that may occur

And to the asshat that said search

You were once a newb too, tool...
k9popo is offline   Reply With Quote

Newb wraith owner?..what first? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help a Wraith owner out on a contest please...... NCT_Guy Chit Chat 12 06-21-2012 02:15 PM
New Wraith RTR owner--Front End Question soapman72 Axial Wraith 9 06-06-2012 09:19 AM
now a axial wraith owner tundrafan01 Axial Wraith 10 11-10-2011 05:46 PM
new wraith owner ld markey Michigan 12 10-31-2011 06:04 PM