Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Finally Pulled the Trigger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Finally Pulled the Trigger

Well, I finally pulled the trigger on a Wraith. After searching and reading a lot, I got the Kit version. If anyone can think of anything that is a MUST have item by all means share it with me. Let me know what you think of what I have so far.

Wraith Kit
Tekin HD FXR ESC/Motor Combo (35T)
Hitec HS-7954 Servo
STRC aluminum steering linkage
Robitronic aluminum servo arm
Tekin Hotwire
CC 10A BEC

I already have my spektrum radio and reciever ready to go for it. It is gonna be used mainly as a crawler. I plan on eventually getting a HH Torquemaster 13T motor for it, but that will be a ways away.

I also have to express how amazed I am with RPP's shipping... I ordered it at 12:00pm yesterday and 2.5 hours later it had shipped... really really impressed with them!
Numbcrawling is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2012, 12:35 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Finally Pulled the Trigger

I'd say make a tray for the battery and electronics so you can mount them under the hood. And do a hinged hood so you can get to it all. That shifts the wieght forward and frees up a lot of space in the rear. Also, get aluminum chubs and knuckles and upper links. I'm personally a big fan of the stainless screw kits from RCScrewz because then you don't have screws rusting all over the place but you'll need that before you start the build, once you put in the heavy thread plastic screws it's hard to replace them with machine screws.
JHTreyIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbcrawling View Post
I also have to express how amazed I am with RPP's shipping... I ordered it at 12:00pm yesterday and 2.5 hours later it had shipped... really really impressed with them!
I have to agree. I just got my Wraith from RPP yesterday. It also shipped same day. When I forgot to add Deans connectors to my order, I emailed them and asked if they could add what I needed to my order. Corey replied to my email right away and added all the connectors I needed at no charge. I ordered mine on Tuesday and got it Thursday. Great service for sure.
dunerinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHTreyIII View Post
I'd say make a tray for the battery and electronics so you can mount them under the hood. And do a hinged hood so you can get to it all.
I have actually been reading up on this and definitely think this will be the route I go. I am so pumped for this rig, I think it is the rig I am most excited about getting... I wasn't half this excited about my AX10, and I only got this excited about my SCX10 when I got the New Bright JK body for it... worst part is that I just finished that build last weekend and just picked up this project not even a full week later! Gotta love the bank account draining addiction I suppose.

Sorry for the sidebar. I agree with the C-Hubs and the knuckles and they will be the next on my list (I kinda gotta cool it for a little bit with the spending or the wife will shoot me). I reckon after that will be new wheels and tires. Any advice on which tires to get? I really like the MT Baja Claws, but they aren't that great for crawling unless they get cut.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Having only had my Wraith for a couple weeks, first upgrades I have done/are doing due to broken parts:
1) Aluminum servo horn - stock plastic one stripped out on mine in about 2 mins
2) Aluminum hubs and knuckles - broke one of my plastic stock knuckles the day my VP ones arrived (and broke my hub tonight, still waiting for that order of parts...)
3) Upgraded Driveshafts - I can see my stock shafts about to candy-cane every time I get into a bit of a bind
4) Links (suspension/steering) - for obvious reasons

Just my observations in the brief time I've owned my RTR Wraith. There are obviously 1,000 more things that can be upgraded for benefits and strength, but these were the weak points, IMO.
sniper101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:25 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Any advice on which tires to get? I really like the MT Baja Claws, but they aren't that great for crawling unless they get cut.
Check out the new RC4WD IRok's. They're so new there isn't much feedback on them yet but they're huge. The Proline TSL Super Swampers are popular. The Pitbulls really perform well but don't look very scale and they're a little short.

I just ordered a set of the IRok's...check back and I'll give you a review.

x2 on what sniper said...get some MIP drive shafts.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:40 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I run the IROK's on my 1.9 JK and they are AWESOME on the rocks, so I might just have to make them match. I have broken more than my fair share than plastic servo horns and that is why I had to get one with my initial order. One question about the stock drive shafts, do they have the hole down the center of the male side like the old stock SCX10 ones? I have MIP's on my sporty rig and absolutely love them. On my 1.9 rig I have the stock drive shafts but I threaded a length of 8/32" allthread down the center to give them some rigidity and have yet to have one fail on me yet.

Last edited by Numbcrawling; 02-24-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:53 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Hmm, that's a good idea. They do have a hole but its larger. Might be worth a shot. MIP's are pricey.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:59 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Worse comes to worst I will walk into Lowes with my drive shaft in hand and I will sit there until I find the right diameter allthread for it lol. And yeah, that's the biggest thing holding me back from getting MIP's on my JK and for my wraith... but they are undeniably fantastic. I am hoping that I can muster the money for the c-hubs and the knuckles soon though.

Last edited by Numbcrawling; 02-25-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:02 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

New goodies should be here on wednesday! Can't wait to get this package. I ordered the VP knuckles and c-hubs, a set of the CAC 2.2 EZLoc wheels, and a set of the 2.2 IROK's.

When I was building it, I built it with all the link/shock mounts on the axles mounted upside down and the rear upper shock links upside down to give it a better stance and man what a difference it actually makes.

Anyways, Here is how it sits now
Old 03-06-2012, 09:06 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Also this was my first time airbrushing a lexan body and I am absolutely thrilled with how it came out. I hit the black first, then the blue, then used the white for the rest and to back it with several coats.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Looks awesome man! I ran my 2.2 IROK's this weekend for the first time. You will not be disappointed. They really perform well. And they're HUGE!
Old 03-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHTreyIII View Post
Looks awesome man! I ran my 2.2 IROK's this weekend for the first time. You will not be disappointed. They really perform well. And they're HUGE!
Thanks man! I am really pumped for those tires, from what I hear they are sticky as hell, and yeah at 5.8" tall, they are far from small!
Old 03-06-2012, 10:57 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

How do you like that Tekin HD FXR ESC/Motor Combo?
JustinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I like the FXR a lot. It is really small and easy to pack into my rig. The only complaint that I have about it is that I struggled with soldering all the leads onto the ESC, but that was because my soldering iron's tip is shot lol. The 35t motor is good, but I think I'm gonna step up to a HH 13T torquemaster so I can gain some wheelspeed but keep my crawling capabilities.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Im thinking of buying that tekin setup
JustinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I've beaten the heck outta my wraith and not broken a single thing. If you just wanna spend money - go ahead. but the only upgrades i see needed are the tie rod/steering link. Do the drive shaft mod. invert lower shock mounts and move battery up front. Do the hood hinge mod if you move battery up front. 3S lipos.

Last edited by bbking9; 03-06-2012 at 12:02 PM.
bbking9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinM View Post
Im thinking of buying that tekin setup
Definitely worth it. It's been really solid so far. I'd HIGHLY recomend getting your hands on a Tekin Hotwire though so you can program it up and get it set how you want.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbking9 View Post
I've beaten the heck outta my wraith and not broken a single thing. If you just wanna spend money - go ahead. but the only upgrades i see needed are the tie rod/steering link. Do the drive shaft mod. invert lower shock mounts and move battery up front. Do the hood hinge mod if you move battery up front. 3S lipos.
Hahaha, it kinda is one of those "I just wanna spend some money" things. I have been busting my a$$ in the Air Force, and my wife told me that instead of buying meaningless chit for around the house that we don't really need, that I should reward myself. So, here I stand with my wraith kit lol.

All the shock mounts are inverted. I have the battery out back and am still waiting on figuring out what I am gonna do for mounting. Right now, it's not all that bad out back, but that will change once I get a minute to sit down and figure out a better solution. The driveshaft mod was done while I was building them too. I figured, if I'm gonna mod bits and pieces I might as well save some time and do them as I built the kit.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
my wife told me that instead of buying meaningless chit for around the house that we don't really need, that I should reward myself. So, here I stand with my wraith kit lol.
She's a keeper

Here's what I did under the hood on mine. It's a little hard to see because it's clear but I cut a piece of thick lexan and made a sort of 'floor' for the 'engine compartment'. It screws to the mounts for the original electronics box and runs all the way up to my servo. It supports my battery up against the firewall and give me a good spot to mount the ESC.

Finally Pulled the Trigger - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yep, ... I pulled the trigger ! XtrmTJ Redcat Crawlers 23 09-12-2011 03:23 PM
Pulled the trigger....she is on the way. Desert Rc Axial Wraith 10 09-07-2011 04:54 AM
pulled the trigger 501 Team Losi Comp Crawler 14 12-27-2010 12:03 PM
well I pulled the trigger. bastard Chit Chat 15 03-17-2010 01:30 PM
Pulled the trigger smokediver Axial AX-10 Scorpion 18 03-07-2010 03:07 AM