Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: What brushed motor will survive 3cell lipo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #1

Default What brushed motor will survive 3cell lipo?

I've spent a little while search on here but didn't find any situations the same as mine.

Mostly stock Wraith, lightly weighted alum beadlocks, stock gears, stock ESC, castle 10a BEC added, and 3 cell lipo.

Ran the first motor (stock 20 turn axial) 30 minutes before it let the magic smoke out. No crawling just testing it a gravel driveway.

Purchased a HPI 27 turn motor, it lasted several hours of use (two batteries worth) then let the smoke out after doing some loose rocky hill climbs. It had be used to crawl and full throttle bash no issues, did notice a little heat.

So my question is what am I doing wrong to burn up these motors? I love the 27 turn speed and overall performance. Is there a brushed motor out there that will survive?

I really don't want to spend the money for brushless ESC if I don't have to, and I know nothing about brushless anyway...
Speeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2012, 03:57 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: What brushed motor will survive 3cell lipo?

Stock gear ratio is bad for motors.
80T Spur & 20T Pinion (4:1)
get your ratio closer to 5:1
I babied my stock setup with 8 min runs then a cool down.
The first run after adding weight to the rig (AL Knucks,chubs,lockouts,Ti links, etc)
Magic white smoke.
Looks like the high power people are going 32 pitch gears for durability & closer to 5:1 ratios.
Dostradamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
Jus
I wanna be Dave

You need to gear it conservatively first of all... I'm at 87/16 in my Wraith with a 35T motor and temps never get above about 110-120 degrees unless I'm full throttle thrashing it up a bank for 10 minutes.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:20 PM   #4
I joined the Band!

im running a stock 27T axial.. on 3s.. running 87/20.... and so far ran my 500mah 3s turnigy 3s lipo through it 6 times... 1-1.5hrs so far.. and also has 30 runs of a el crapo nihm battery pack through it too... still runnin great...

all in all i know im not tellin ya anything good.. i wanted to subscribe but not b quiet.. hah..
RootBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:24 PM   #5

So are there any 27T motors better than others? I guess I'm going to order another 27 and gear down a little.

Could I have wired my BEC wrong? I followed the castle instructions to a T though.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #6
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeding View Post
So are there any 27T motors better than others? I guess I'm going to order another 27 and gear down a little.

Could I have wired my BEC wrong? I followed the castle instructions to a T though.
dunno i got a $9 axial stock 27t!!!!!

i have a 19t im contemplating on putting in and gearing down.. not sure. yet..
RootBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:44 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Yes lots of good motors in many winds.
Get something handwound & rebuildable, or by cheap ones & use em till they smoke.
The 35Turn seems to get alot of press round here. That is where I am going to start. I am looking at the Torquemaster 35T.
Harley likes it & from what he puts those wraiths of his through........
Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith
Dostradamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:59 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Holmes Hobbies hand wound motors. It's what I run on 3s and smooth sailing.

Yes, and Harley's thread on motors is very informative. It's what I used in my decision on the wraith...
tedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #9

Would a heat sink and fan be a worthwhile investment?

Hard to go from that $8 hpi motor to a $70 Holmes motor...
Old 08-27-2012, 09:21 PM   #10
RCC Addict

The holmes motor will be night and day better then the hpi or axial junk motors. Also if you do something to your motor you can send it in and get serviced for tlike 10-15 bucks I think.
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:41 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

My self and MANY of the fellas in our Scale RC club run the Traxxas 21 turn 550 motor from the E-Maxx. A couple of us run 3 cell, others are scared to break stuff and run 2 cell.. All of our motors hold up very well for a $22 motor. We have these motors in SCX-10's, Wraith's, and Losi Night Crawlers. I was amazed at the torque and the ability to be just barely warm after hour long trail runs. I forget my exact gearing on my Honcho.. somewhere around 18/87 I think. I run both 2 and 3 cell.. on the stock ESC with a Castle BEC. In my Wraith I use solely 3s 3300 nanotec lipos and run 32 pitch gears 13/60 ( About 20/90 in 48 pitch conversion). Its faster than Stock and crawler better..
My Honcho on 2S runs the same speed as a stock Honcho with stock 27t on stock gearing.
OK sorry to babble on.. I just cant say enough good about using a cheap 550 sized motor instead of the under powered cheap 540 motors.. Now if you have the $$$ , Im sure a Quality Hand wound 540 motor would rock.. But being way up here in high shipping cost Canada, I go with "El-Cheapo" traxxas 21t Titans.
madkawi650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:58 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Could try a cobalt motor.
One of the Holmes Puller motors would work (full size, not the 454 version).
If the rig is heavier, you might want to lean towards the 11t version versus the lower 7t.
Some guys chiming in here on some avail:
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/wante...ler-motor.html

I use older Astro Flight motors in some of my rigs. Cobalt magnets, various sizes, 7-15t versions.
Pull like crazy on 3s-6s.
sweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:09 AM   #13
www.team3sixrc.com

Im glad I found this thread so let me add a little bit of my light to the situation.

For those of you who are newbies or semi newbs.
Stock motors serve a purpose...... To make you feel all good inside when you buy an RTR.

Other than that, they suck.
Chasing one motor after another, after another only leads to you not enjoying your hobby, which is why I recomend you Wraith guys visiting the custom builds in the 2.2 section as we are using Wraith axles and transmissions.

You dont have to buy a Holmes motor, but add up all your cheapo motors you blow along with shipping and the differance is learning how to maintain a good motor to buying motors meant to last an hour.

On my website I have a lot if good informaion on electronics. Its a little bit of a read, but it will educate you.
www.team3sixrc.com (look for electronics 101 in the links up top)

Just realize this, every kit or RTR truck, car, plane, or boat is stock, near stock, or just about stock.
Sometimes stock is good. Some parts are meant to break to keep more critical parts from breaking.
Learning how to maintain your truck means more enjoyment.
If you dont grease it, use new bearings, switch out gears, ect.
Well eventually it will fail.

Harley and many other guys your not aware of have been doing this for years and have the experiance to back it up.
So when someone mentions Holmes, there is a reason!
His knowledge and dedication are a huge part of why crawling continues to breath.

Last edited by team3six; 08-28-2012 at 06:13 AM.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:33 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Im running a 27t HH torque master pro.. AE-2 Esc (Stock) on Racers Edge 3400mah 3s lipo with a 16/87 pin/spur combo w/o a BEC (i run a 6.0v life pack for the servos x2, lights and the winch on a separate switch) ....Love it on the rocks!!!... I have a 21t Titan for bashing and im trying out different pin/spur for more speed... was thinking of going to the 18/80 if im gonna use the Titan... im swapping the gears around today
Crash1388 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3cell, burnt up, lipo, smoked, wraith

What brushed motor will survive 3cell lipo? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what is the fastest, most durable brushed motor, running 3S LiPo, on AE-2 esc? ussprinceton2004 Electronics 3 02-12-2012 09:18 PM
looking for brushed motor for 2s lipo FordFixer Electronics 7 01-14-2012 07:18 AM
brushed motor on lipo battery? iceman320 General Crawlers 4 09-12-2010 11:01 PM
3Cell Lipo vs. 2Cell Lipo & Heat Chappy Team Losi Comp Crawler 2 04-06-2010 05:54 PM
3cell lipo, Which Motor and esc? atekt Newbie General 7 02-25-2009 07:08 AM