Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Hello world

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #1

Default Hello world

Hello all, just bought my wraith, it will replace/augment my vintage sledgehammer I built as a kid... having a blast, you fellas are a wealth of info! :thumbup: :cool:

btw, love my 1:1 land cruiser, so dirt is not new and flopping this hurts so much less... :rolleyes:

John

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
sl33p3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2012, 08:17 PM   #2

Btw, not sure if it possible but my boy might like me crashing my rig more than I do... :cool:

Thanks to Harley's guides and all you guys posting builds, so much inspiration, makes my wallet ache and my wife cringe.

:beer::beer::beer:

Swypo'd in haste.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Hello world

Haha, love the :beer:s

Seems a lot of us come from 1:1 stuff :thumbup:
monkeymagic9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:06 PM   #4

Well softer springs, lighter shock oil, battery and esc relocated, hinged front hood, moved to deans and lipo, axial beadlocks and r35 ripsaws with starred foams and a few ounces of weight per wheel, she's like a whole new truck!

Now I just need to gear it down a little so I don't smoke the motor (it is really hot after the rocks), and that stock servo really struggles... wait if they smoke I get to upgrade right? Muwahaha

Swypo'd in haste.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:59 PM   #5

So, General question. Rear suspension tuning... I notice some reasonable bounce in the rear only. I am running 1.5 lb/in springs as well as 30wt oil on all four corners. The front stays pretty well planted, the rear hops on any sort of rough terrain. I am running 3s 5k Lipo up front and mmp in the rear close to rear bulkhead. Figure weight distribution is the culprit and since the rear is lighter, it should be softer than the front in oil and spring. Anyone have other ideas?

Btw, brushless and 3s is how this truck should have come. GD it is fun and I get an hour pulling wheelies on a battery. Tekin 13.5, can't imagine what pro4 is like :cool:

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #6

well I put on a proline bronco body. didn't turn out perfect. but i'm pretty happy... trimmed to the line and rear steer rubs the rear quarters pretty bad past half mix and front will rub if you stuff one side and droop the other on full turn... shocks are at farthest back point in front and farthest forward in the rear... might make some clearance once it isn't so pretty of a body.

inset the large light buckets to teh front body... fit like they were made for it!

also finally made it through some video i had, pre bronco body, video=hackjob, but it was fun bashing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySqu84JxHVQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIUuwho-tGA

Last edited by sl33p3; 02-03-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Looking good mate.
Like the Bronco body
Charel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Try to run the rear a little softer, and with a little bit of droop in them.
On my Wraith all the weight is in the front as well, I just run my rear softer with some droop and it handles great.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charel View Post
Try to run the rear a little softer, and with a little bit of droop in them.
On my Wraith all the weight is in the front as well, I just run my rear softer with some droop and it handles great.
Yeah, thanks! :beer: I had similar thoughts and softened the rear springs a touch... 1.5 down to 1 if you believe the numbers, shrug. Also tried out the directional pistons and went back to plain old i drilled a little bigger, but the stock holes breakout pretty quick. Trying to not go lighter oil since they leak worse around the shaft seal then... So all that is consistent with your advice and my thoughts to and it has helped quote a bit. Doesn't buck anymore, and I'd like a little better but I am nitpicking. I also think the new two stage foams in the beasts have he lped too. :cool:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Old 02-05-2013, 09:37 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Sweet, glad you got it sorted
Old 02-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #11

well. today is the first day i have got it outside. promptly highspeed flipped about a dozen times to get the first scratch or two out of the way. now i can beat on it again...

but my front fenders rub so bad on the fronts under lock and full stuff i can slip the slipper! i see to two courses of action. cut up the new body, or raise the ride height, (smaller tires is another nonviable option )

i'm leaning towards hacking the body since these babies are so flippable, and no slowing down is not a real option either the rear quarter lower corners will need it if i want full turn in the rear as well...
Old 02-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #12

ok... so i have chosen the path of no return and i think i need a drink.

flares front and rear are removed... the lower corner of the rear quarter is gone too. front shocks moved to middle position. i put back on my ripsaws as well, more trimming front and rear would be needed on the RB2's. i was surprised after i nipped the rear quarters that the entire front of the rear flare needed to come off for the opposite wheel, so no choice on mismatched front rear flare removal.

i kind wish i didn't have to cut the rear section of the front flares (not a clearance issue), exposes quite a bit of frame and my 5k 3s battery, but still less than original body panels and it will give me motivation to do the boat sides and inner fenders i've been wanting to do anyway. i need to buy some thinner abs for the fenders for that project.

i now no longer rub, well MIGHT touch. but it will be ok... and since the dam is broken, i'm sure i can sack up to cut whatever i need now.

all in all, i think it still looks good and it is functional now under full turn lock flex stuff, etc...

onto pics or it didn't happen and i will wake up.

full lock and rolled stuff

just full rear lock and stuff with no opposite droop.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Nice job! Actually the larger wheel wells look more balanced now.

I may need to follow suit with mine.
Hobine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #14

Thanks! yeah, it struck me as "buggy bronco" now more than "wish I was bronco" I'm happy with it, went out and played... Wheelie time again on the ripsaws. I miss the CI foams for stability, but clearly I need to lose a tooth on the pinion if I ever go back to rb2s...

After cutting mine, I'd say go with it... No regrets from me.

Last edited by sl33p3; 02-09-2013 at 12:36 PM. Reason: unedit
Old 02-09-2013, 11:52 AM   #15

well going back to the rips has re-aggrivated the rear axle hop. combination of diameter, mass, and mostly foam differences i'd guess. those CI beauties are far different from stocker axial foam. its not as bad as before, but noticeable again :/ i think i'll go after oil weight first.

Hello world - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anything in the world. Hydro-Tank Chit Chat 37 05-14-2012 10:10 AM
New to the rock world old to the rc world Jeckel4438 Newbie General 0 05-24-2011 08:19 PM
What has the world come to? 666 Chit Chat 23 12-29-2007 11:38 PM