Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Need some opinions on my wraith build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 09:07 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Need some opinions on my wraith build

I'm trying to get my wraith finished before I start college next summer so I need to get the ball rolling on my crawler build, I have all vanquish axles setup for 4ws and thought it would be fun with a 13t motor, but as of lately I found out we might not be doing comps next year and started thinking I want to run a pro 4 3300kv with a wraith 2 speed tranny from rc4wd. Do you think this would be a good setup? Or should I leave off the 4ws? I like going fast and crawling but get bored of just crawling that's why I think the speed should help keep my interest but don't want to spend the 130$ on an extra servo for the rear if it is useless or pointless. Thanks! I need some help from people who have tried these setups. And like I said I prolly won't be comping just messing around.
XJkid93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Need some opinions on my wraith build

Nobody has anything?
Old 11-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I would say leave it off. You would have to have a REALLY good servo to make sure there was no problems in the back and even then with a Pro4..... or you could allways just keep a set of rear lockouts handy for the times that you know you just want to hall some ass? should only take you about 10-15 to swap out
Crawlster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #4
RCC Addict

With the Pro4 you probably won't want 4 wheel steering. It will be way too fast and twitchy. I have a beefy motor like that and it's just insane. You don't need the 2 speed tranny if you have the right motor either.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawlster View Post
I would say leave it off. You would have to have a REALLY good servo to make sure there was no problems in the back and even then with a Pro4..... or you could allways just keep a set of rear lockouts handy for the times that you know you just want to hall some ass? should only take you about 10-15 to swap out
I was going to put 2 JR ds8711 servos @ 6v for my servos. Yea I already have some lockouts on my list anyways but I have VVD's in the rear and know I won't twist the shaft. I'm thinking no 4ws but it sounds so good lol. I might leave it off though it does sound like a bad idea
Old 11-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ik632 View Post
With the Pro4 you probably won't want 4 wheel steering. It will be way too fast and twitchy. I have a beefy motor like that and it's just insane. You don't need the 2 speed tranny if you have the right motor either.
The only reason I want the 2 speed is bc that's a solid tranny and is only 130$ and a bomb proof tranny is 250$
Old 11-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I run the RX8 with Pro 4 3300 with 4ws and love it.

But I also run a Dx7s stick radio, which helps. IMO. The key is having the rear servo axle mounted. Not chassis. I've done it both ways.

I haven't tried the 2 speed tranny yet. I built this with the bomb proof one. My new 1.9 build has the 2 speed.. But it is still in the works an I'm trying to decide on a motor for that rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Agama; 11-12-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJkid93 View Post
The only reason I want the 2 speed is bc that's a solid tranny and is only 130$ and a bomb proof tranny is 250$
How the heck is a bomb proof tranny $250? Toss in a set of HR steel gears for $35 and your good to go.

I agree with others that 4WS isn't great on a build geared more towards speed. If you want to crawl in slow tight spots maybe.

A quick blip of the throttle with these powerful brushless motors can turn you on a dime anyway.
Hobine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:02 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobine View Post
How the heck is a bomb proof tranny $250? Toss in a set of HR steel gears for $35 and your good to go.

I agree with others that 4WS isn't great on a build geared more towards speed. If you want to crawl in slow tight spots maybe.

A quick blip of the throttle with these powerful brushless motors can turn you on a dime anyway.
i just looked at a super shafty bomb proof one bc they are so purdy and yeah i guess ill take off the rear steer, i have everything but the servo 130$ for it then id have full rear steer but if its a bad choice i wont do it because i dont want to fight the thing everywhere i go
Old 11-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Im basicly doing the same build as you, but i have another year to beat on my wraith to get it right so i can run it tell it falls apart in college. i will be running a pro4 with 4ws and honestly id rather have the option, that way if i wanted to put in the slower motor and do some sweet crawling i could. without having to take out of my food money, plus once you have spent this much money whats another 130 bucks. just a thought from someone in the same shoes
TheDude530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:53 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude530 View Post
Im basicly doing the same build as you, but i have another year to beat on my wraith to get it right so i can run it tell it falls apart in college. i will be running a pro4 with 4ws and honestly id rather have the option, that way if i wanted to put in the slower motor and do some sweet crawling i could. without having to take out of my food money, plus once you have spent this much money whats another 130 bucks. just a thought from someone in the same shoes
Thanks i think ill just get the servo and try it, worst i can do is hate it and wanna take it off lol. i think it would be cool to drop it in 1st and do some crawling then straighten out the rear put it in 2nd and go for it and watch the trail of parts

Need some opinions on my wraith build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wraith shock opinions CRAWLERJOE Axial Wraith 9 10-22-2012 05:27 AM
Opinions on this build idea. dabbill Newbie General 27 02-06-2011 05:25 PM
Future build: opinions jebster Axial XR10 24 02-06-2011 12:02 AM
your opinions on my build 4goodbuys2 1.9 Scale Rigs 5 04-12-2010 05:18 AM
How does this build sound? Need opinions chronicspd Tamiya Clod Buster 6 09-30-2008 09:22 AM