Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: my ifs wraith i need longer drive cups front end

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default my ifs wraith i need longer drive cups front end

on the front i need the cup shaft to go into the locker more. does anyone know of a cup that has a longer shaft on it that will work. if tried different lockers but cant keep them in. really its the only problem i have but cant run it at all and one will loosen up because the locker doesnt have enough to grab on to.
mtgrizzlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: my ifs wraith i need longer drive cups front end

you need universals they range from 30 to 90, i got some from asiatree (the 30 ones) and they have held up for awhial now
big daddy smokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by big daddy smokes View Post
you need universals they range from 30 to 90, i got some from asiatree (the 30 ones) and they have held up for awhial now
The universals are not what he's talking about. He's talking about the drive cups that go into the diff. The dogbone of the universal goes into these cups.

mtgrizzlymn, I have VP lockers on mine I hope that keeps it in place. I'm also running two HPI red O-rings per side. If I have a problem up front (with setscrews holding the shaft) I'm going to break out the torch/welder and add some steel to the shafts.

DTP had one loosen on his rig with a felsenfest locker. I may or may not have used loctite on the setscrews. If you do use a felsenfest or VP locker, there's not much shaft material there. Since he didn't use O-rings in the drive cups and I may or may not have loctited his locker setscrews, he had issues.

What everyone has been doing is putting two O-rings in the drive cups where the universal's dogbone fits in. That keeps the drive cups in the locker.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #4

Ok, new to the Exo world, but when i locked my diffs for my wraith i just threw in another idler gear inside the stock diffs. (same thing as in a tamiya diff) Hope it holds up! I'll let you all know after the hangover crawl in louisville on the 1st.
DJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #5
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOHN View Post
Ok, new to the Exo world, but when i locked my diffs for my wraith i just threw in another idler gear inside the stock diffs. (same thing as in a tamiya diff) Hope it holds up! I'll let you all know after the hangover crawl in louisville on the 1st.
Your Wraith had open diffs?
Old 12-17-2012, 09:37 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I might just try adding some more length to the cups, any smart way to weld a little on these? It wont take much and the felenfest locker will work great, 1/8 inch and it would be enough i think. Once this thing is done its gonnabe a sweet rig i love it just have to work out some of this stuff! What about putting stock exo front end in with100000 wt oil, that should almost lock it up i would think? Then no cup issues.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:40 PM   #7
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgrizzlymn View Post
I might just try adding some more length to the cups, any smart way to weld a little on these? It wont take much and the felenfest locker will work great, 1/8 inch and it would be enough i think. Once this thing is done its gonnabe a sweet rig i love it just have to work out some of this stuff! What about putting stock exo front end in with100000 wt oil, that should almost lock it up i would think? Then no cup issues.
The easy way would be to use rod, weld on a long piece, then cut to length and grind flats.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:49 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Should i centr drill each put a pin or something in then grind some metal away and weld as good as i can . Im havent done much welding should i use wire feed or oxy acet?
Old 12-18-2012, 08:20 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I had the same problem the outdrives not long enough to stay seated in the locker, i was using the hd axial sintered locker, now i went back to the stock gears put the small c clip back on the out drives then put two extra spider gears in between the stock gears ,no jb weld, no diff fluid, but it did lock up the diff real good now, gave it a good 2 hrs this past wk end holding up just fine, the 2 orings i tried but still managed to jump out of the locker somehow, gonna weld up two spare outdrive cups an have them ready if this way i locked it doesnt hold up.
crawlernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:35 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Boy you would think with all the different rigs there would be the right outdrive cups allready made for another car.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

To JIA's comments.

When I built the front end on that IFS Wraith, I used the Black HR Locker, Exo output drive cups and orings between the end of the Universal dog bong and the drive cup. So the only thing holding the drive cups in the locker was the orings making up the gap between the drivecup and the dog bone end of the universal. I didn't have any issues with it like that.

But yea, a better locker that acutally holds the drivecups in the locker is your best bet. Unless you have increased the droop amount on the front IFS.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote

my ifs wraith i need longer drive cups front end - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Wraith RTR owner--Front End Question soapman72 Axial Wraith 9 06-06-2012 09:19 AM
Grinding front drive cups.... chops1sc Axial AX-10 Scorpion 19 07-16-2008 01:15 AM
Drive Cups for VMG pbfrk4life General Crawlers 3 02-07-2007 06:54 PM