Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Noob Kit questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 04:05 PM   #1

Default Noob Kit questions

Hello all.
I've been lurking here for a while. Reading a lot of these posts, getting ideas, and making a very expensive list of parts. Having said that, I just received a Wraith kit for xmas and was wondering what was needed to start building it.I'm not talking about things like a servo, motor, esc, etc. I mean things like lock tight, grease, and shock oil. I am wondering what you all use when you put your kits together. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
merlin3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Noob Kit questions

It all comes in the kit, you can use all that stuff to start if all you want is basics!!

I use marine grease in the diffs but that is my choice plus it is free....what I had in my old inventory here. Shock oil just use the kit stuff...it works. The loctite also works fine too that come in the kit.

Last edited by ZippoMan; 12-27-2012 at 06:38 PM.
ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Best thing to have is a good set of hex's 90% of the headaches i had was worn out wrenches. If they start to slip grind em down. And pre thread the chassis to skid bolts cause you will take em in and out a hundered times before you get a setup you like. Oh and use plugs on your motor and rx case sooo much easier. Good luck
scout 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:28 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Deans connectors for the battery leads and a soldering iron to solder them on.

I would start out stock and replace parts as they break or if you find problems. It will help you understand how the Wraith works and how the upgrade parts perform.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I needed:

Associated 40 weight shock oil and Green slime to lubricate the O-rings upon assembly.

Blue threadlock on the three bolts holding the trans lower output shaft halves together, and the three bolts holding the spur to the slipper plate.

Lots of HPI 5mm steel washers on the trans upper shaft, and axle pinion shafts to eliminate play and ensure smooth gear mesh.

And some 3x10 or 3x12 buttonheads to use for kingpin bolts. The self tapping hardware that Axial includes has no place in any axle or suspension location.

I used way more grease that what was included. I also drilled a small hole in the trans case to allow for greasing it with a needle fitting on a regular grease gun. A 3mm setscrew plugs the hole. Can grease the axles with the setscrew on the bottom of the housing.

I didn't like how the servo horn contacted the chassis crossmember so I drilled holes in the stock servo plate to move the servo back about 1/4", which requires flipping the servo and making a drag link so that the servo horn clears the diff cover. I found a stock AX-10 upper link is the perfect length. Actually improves the steering geometry.

What you need will depend on your OCD and creativity. Your attention to detail when building it will pay off in reliability down the road and off the road. Oh, and zip ties. I don't think I can assemble any RC with less than 5 zip ties.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Noob Kit questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions about original AX10 KIT (first gen.) and latest KIT GWEEDZ Axial AX-10 Scorpion 10 02-18-2012 07:30 AM
Noob questions DRW-FJ40 Scale Videos! 2 11-22-2011 08:02 AM
noob questions scoutkrlr Axial AX-10 Scorpion 5 03-07-2011 08:07 PM
noob, with noob questions farmerstoy General Scale Talk 12 01-14-2010 06:28 PM
Noob Questions WK Joe Axial AX-10 Scorpion 8 07-30-2008 02:54 PM