Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: shock question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default shock question

Hello. 1st time post. I just got a new wraith. I had 1 of the shocks leak all the oil out 5 minutes into it 1st run. I pulled it apart to fix it and had issues with the bLadder which i think i figured out. My question is what weight of oil works best for crawling and how full should the oil be? Ive filled it close to the top but they seem way too stiff. Right now i have them 2/3 -3/4 full. Thanks
krank22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2012, 01:25 PM   #2

I found this helpful for shock rebuilding. Only used wraith stock shocks, so ymmv. I'm sure I found this link somewhere on this board, sorry I only bookmarked it, can't give proper credit.

http://www.axialracing.com/blog_posts/1132

Good luck, I also have run between 10wt and 30... tune away, lots of discussion to read around here when you look for it. Some of it is buried in build threads...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
sl33p3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Default Re: shock question

Thanks for the link! That was helpful.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I found the stock shocks soft. They have almost no high speed control the rectangular oil passages flow a lot of oil and allow the suspension free movement at low speeds. The springs in my option are to stiff. Compared to shock valveing.
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan03 View Post
I found the stock shocks soft. They have almost no high speed control the rectangular oil passages flow a lot of oil and allow the suspension free movement at low speeds. The springs in my option are to stiff. Compared to shock valveing.
Are the kit springs better about this than the RTR? Thanks
emartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I rebuilt both of my rear shocks. I used some thread tape no more leaks. I used 30 wt. Oil. The only issue i seem to have now is that they dont compress all the way. When im crawling over the snow hills it seems like the front socks work great. The rears are only compressing half way. Should i try a 10wt. Oil? Id like to get as much suspension travel as i can.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

i have the kit wraith i built the shocks and installed them then took them right off because ride height was so tall. i revalved and messed with springs on 1/8 scall buggy front shocks and am loving them.

im building a inda formula offroarder these shocks are working well after being worked over at slow speeds they allow the suspension to move and also handle very well at speed

Last edited by evan03; 01-01-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by krank22 View Post
I rebuilt both of my rear shocks. I used some thread tape no more leaks. I used 30 wt. Oil. The only issue i seem to have now is that they dont compress all the way. When im crawling over the snow hills it seems like the front socks work great. The rears are only compressing half way. Should i try a 10wt. Oil? Id like to get as much suspension travel as i can.
Can you compress them by hand? How do they feel with no spring? You mean you just aren't using the full travel in the rears? If they don't feel like the fronts do when you have them off the truck, Rebleed them and double check your bladders up top (they are easy to goof up and you can see if they are wrinkled up of you have the bottom joint split and the lowers out), I didn't have to seal anything otherwise, but I have read about others needing it. If you don't have the lowers completely bottomed out when you bleed them you will get spring out of that bladder since the lower displaces oil and compress that air pocket. I have never messed with the top caps, I have changed oil dozens of times in mine and I only take apart the lower joint, pretty sure "by the book" of that post.

If you need more low speed shock travel I would look at spring, lean then forward in the mounting holes or try softer springs... oil its not what you are after for that situation unless they are so slow they just don't respond, but 30wt with the rtr pistons wouldn't put you there. You also can drill out your pistons, or try some of the others included on the part trees... good luck.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

stock shocks feel very soft but the springs in my opion are stiffer then valveing. stock shocks in my opion just arent very tunable.

heres how i valved the 1/8 buggy shocks.
enlarged 3 of the holes for slow speed action and 3 3 small for high seed. the stock shocks have big rectanugular ports that limit little to no oil flow. cant see why drilling them would be needed since theyre already valved for crawling.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Without the springs theyre really stiff the last 3/8 inch or so. Ive bled and rebled with no chnge. I may try to change pistons and see what that does.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Without the springs theyre really stiff the last 3/8 inch or so. Ive bled and rebled with no chnge. I may try to change pistons and see what that does.
Definitely not how they should be. Sounds like too much oil in them. Fine line between full and overfull. Are they springy there when they hit that stop point? How do they feel with no oil? Are they just binding for some reason inside? I would tear then completely apart and double check everything. Special attention to your top caps and the little silicone diaphragm.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Do your pistons still have the little plastic burs on them. They will bind up the suspension movement and create sticktion...might be your problem

Sent from a rock
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

No burs. And yes. It feels springy when i compress them.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Ithink i got emgood now. I replaced the 2 hole pistons with 3 hole and added a 4th. I getting full compression on them now. Thanks for all the info from everyone. Im so used to slash 4x4 and revo shocks. This crawling thing is a different animal, but i like it. Very addicting! Cant wait to do some upgrades to this. Just gotta figure out what to upgrade.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Cant wait to do some upgrades to this. Just gotta figure out what to upgrade.
Good deal! It's not what to upgrade, it's what to upgrade first!:cool:

Harleys guide is a great start :thumbup: ;) :beer:

Old 01-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I was looking over the stuff that came with my kit and noticed difrent valves. Looks you for it figured out.

I think the stock shocks and springs will work well for all around Wheeling think about tossing mine on now that I've got quite abir of run time on the buggy shicks
Old 01-09-2013, 07:50 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

So whats the consensus on oil weight fro crawling?
Also, there are 3 top mount holes, which one?
Bansh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

30wt seems fine to me
Old 01-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Ithink i got emgood now. I replaced the 2 hole pistons with 3 hole and added a 4th. I getting full compression on them now. Thanks for all the info from everyone. Im so used to slash 4x4 and revo shocks. This crawling thing is a different animal, but i like it. Very addicting! Cant wait to do some upgrades to this. Just gotta figure out what to upgrade.
Just so you know, the 3 hole piston is a "stiffer" piston than the two hole.
dunerinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Still wondering about mount position
Bansh88 is offline   Reply With Quote

shock question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shock question?? asian195 General Crawlers 1 05-28-2012 09:25 PM
Shock question James003 Axial XR10 4 05-02-2011 02:58 PM
shock question crawlerknownothing Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 4 02-10-2011 09:59 AM
Shock question soundcolor Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 3 04-09-2009 08:53 AM