Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: steering/servo help on a new 2nd hand purchase

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 09:50 PM   #1

Default steering/servo help on a new 2nd hand purchase

Hello everyone i just received my wraith truck in the mail, a second hander off ebay with some upgrades I plan to make a build thread etc in the near future it's a great forums here, just need to look into this potential issue in a somewhat timely manner in-case something is wrong and need to sort it out with the seller/ebay/paypal

I was hoping to ask you guys if it looks like i have servo/steering problems going on in the videos. I have never owned anything like this before, not sure if it's meant to have so much play or?

Any help or advice you guys could give would be really appreciated

Electrics all off/unplugged (seem's like way to much play) -
004 - YouTube

Electrics all on (gets the wobbles as well as lots of play)
006 - YouTube
jordzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2013, 12:34 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: steering/servo help on a new 2nd hand purchase

Welcome and to answer your question. Looks like you're gonna be in the market for a new servo. Cheaper servos are known to have common issues with various electrical components. Not saying the occasional "Name Brands" don't from time to time. As for the power off wobbling, looks like there may be a stripped gear. That's easy to diagnose if you're comfortable pulling the servo apart. If there is a damaged gear, that would explain the wobbling, as the servo tries to figure out where it's at in rotation or finding center.

Hope I've helped out
Devil Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:45 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

are you still running the plastic ball joints?
if so slop will come from them when they start to wear out.

and it did look like your servo had slop in the gears as well.
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:27 PM   #4

Thanks for your help Devil & Roland very much appreciated, i took the servo apart and the gears all seem to be fine will clean them up and give them a re-grease to see if it helps. Time to do some servo research and shopping i guess, sigh ... cant win em all i
Has anyone gone from say a Hitec 5645mg to the newer coroless style servo ie: hitec 7954sh? Curious if it's more of a just feels better or blows you away performance difference. The Savox SC0251MG high torque @ 16kg ($70ish USD) looks interesting as well.

Do you guys run just a servo horn to your steering links or have you got servo savers incorporated into the mix as well? From what ive read people seem to be very far on either side of that fence which makes it confusing for a newcomer.

Roland it's running the axial metal upgraded steering links, all plastic ball joints threaded onto the end and there definitely past there used by date. Do you recommend upgrading to metal ball joints? or replace the plastic out when they wear?

Thanks again for your help guys, i haven't used forums much, if i'm doing anything wrong or annoying please do let me know .... i mean well honest!
jordzan is offline   Reply With Quote

steering/servo help on a new 2nd hand purchase - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
axial scx10 hand bros steering N1NJA Colorado 1 07-15-2011 06:35 PM
Hand Bros. steering kit? B@3 Axial SCX-10 11 03-31-2010 07:47 AM
which one better, Futaba 3PM-MX or 2nd hand 3PK? JonehRC Newbie General 7 02-06-2010 10:11 PM
Searching for Motor, ESC, and Servo overview to help with first purchase ajmRC Electronics 7 11-05-2009 07:50 AM
My 2nd hand BERG mchester EnRoute Berg 13 09-22-2008 10:09 AM