Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: checking with the forum before gearing purchases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 08:54 PM   #1

Default checking with the forum before gearing purchases

Ok I have done a lot of homework and can't seem to find a solid answer about my next purchase. I am putting forth my best guesses, please chime in if you see something I have three stock wraiths that I want to turn into trail rigs/crawlers. I have 7.4 v 25c 500 mah lipos with stock ESC and purchased Axial 27 t motors and to the best of my research I am choosing a 32p 54t 32p 14t for the spur and pinion. For the HD bevel diff gears I'm choosing 38t 13t. Will this
Is this a good gearing m/motor combo for a trail rig?.
Is it a good combo If I move to a 35t axial motor?
What if I go to 3sLipo?

Please advise for my specific setup. I have already read a ton of threads that just don't have a scenario close enough to mine.
Willy Smellson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: checking with the forum before gearing purchases

Personally for brushed motors I go no lower than 5:1 and really try to stay around 6:1. It really helps with motor longevity.

If you want 32p and are thinking about 3s i think 56/10 on a 27t or 35t would serve you fine for trailing / crawling. I prefer to be easy on my motors and gear them for low end rather than top speed personally though.

You don't necessarily need HD diff gears. I am running stock diff gears in my Wraith on a Pro4.
treys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:13 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Between 5:1-6:1 seems just about right for a 35t motor on 3s IMO. Been running 60/11 and its treating my electronics well in the temp dept.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:53 PM   #4

OK thanks! that makes sense. I dont want to be geared for top speed either. I will run 2s on the 27 t motors at 56/10 and move to a 35t when I move to 3s lipos.
I will be putting some punisher shafts on this rig so I want to make sure everything down the line is speced to take the abuse.
Besides that what is the advantage of changing the diff gearing?
My main concern is what HD bevel diff gears I'm choosing. HD bevel 38t / 13t.
Do I install it in both or just one diff? Will this be a good combo with my motor spur pinion. For trail and crawling?
What is in each diff stock? are the front and rear the same? I heard something about over gearing the front...
can anyone explain this and suggest a ratio for both diffs?
I just want to know what to put in the front and what to put in the rear diffs.

Are these gear changes very hard? I will do my homework but will just ask if any one has any tips tricks, or things to look out for.
Does anyone know of any good tutorials or videos?

Thanks everyone for all your help!
Willy Smellson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:05 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williy Smellson View Post
OK thanks! that makes sense. I dont want to be geared for top speed either. I will run 2s on the 27 t motors at 56/10 and move to a 35t when I move to 3s lipos.
I will be putting some punisher shafts on this rig so I want to make sure everything down the line is speced to take the abuse.
Besides that what is the advantage of changing the diff gearing?
My main concern is what HD bevel diff gears I'm choosing. HD bevel 38t / 13t.
Do I install it in both or just one diff? Will this be a good combo with my motor spur pinion. For trail and crawling?
What is in each diff stock? are the front and rear the same? I heard something about over gearing the front...
can anyone explain this and suggest a ratio for both diffs?
I just want to know what to put in the front and what to put in the rear diffs.

Are these gear changes very hard? I will do my homework but will just ask if any one has any tips tricks, or things to look out for.
Does anyone know of any good tutorials or videos?

Thanks everyone for all your help!
I personally would not change the diff gears as you will probably never have an issue with them failing for a good long while. The 3 available gear ratios are very close to each other so it wont make nearly as big a difference as the spur/pinion swap will.
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:05 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

38/13 is the ratio of the stock hardened gears. With the motors your are describing, your upgrade $ would be better spent elsewhere as you do not need HD gears.

The only reason you would want to change axle gears would be to overdrive the front or under drive the rear for climbing or improved steering, but honestly I would get used to the rig before worrying about those kinds of changes.
treys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:06 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

87/14...right at 6.2/1...works for me
Postclanker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:15 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

84/17 is what i run on 27t axial motor seems to work good may switch to 84/15 haven't decided but the 84/17 seems to be good.
jkustomz28 is offline   Reply With Quote

checking with the forum before gearing purchases - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Save BIG on Your Cow Purchases This Holiday!! Team CowRC Tools and supplies 0 12-11-2012 05:58 AM
Drunk Purchases? Zeus.:God Chit Chat 25 05-08-2012 11:34 PM
Newest phone purchases? dezfan Chit Chat 25 02-11-2010 09:14 AM
G'day from Australia - where to make purchases disco_dinosaur Axial AX-10 Scorpion 11 11-17-2009 02:54 AM