Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Tires rubbing, wheel wideners?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Tires rubbing, wheel wideners?

Hey all, quick question,

I'm running GearHead CAC EZ-Lock wheels with Pit Bull Rock Beast II tires. I'm also running VP links all around. My front tires hit the lower VP links quite early on, it seems, before I can achieve full wheel lock (meaning, knuckles hitting axle). Right now I have servo endpoints set at 75% each way. That lets the tires clear the links when moving forward, but still makes them hit a bit while backing up.

So.. rather than setting the trim to 70% or less, I'm thinking wheel wideners? I can actually flip my CAC wheels around, which will give me a couple millimeters more of offset, but not sure if that'd be enough. I found various 12mm wideners on CKRC and RC4WD, so I'm thinking of ordering some.

Other than putting more strain on the servo with a wider wheel base, is there anything else I'm not thinking of? Do you guys have other suggestions? Am I missing something obvious? I see a lot of Wraiths with pretty awesome steering angles, I'd like to improve mine

Thanks!
MetalNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2013, 07:53 PM   #2

Default Re: Tires rubbing, wheel wideners?

Also puts more strain on the axle shafts and stub shafts, I'd try the couple mm/side by flipping the wheels around first, they are a pretty big tire. I have Iroks on 1" wide minimal offset Locked Up wheels and get enough steering angle to be binding my universals before hitting the links with bent links (VP style) and almost maxing out VVDs before hitting my straight links. If your wheels are clearing your steering linkage as is you may only need the extra few mm overall

Some of the "awesome" steering angles you see are on wider offsets for sure but they are often pics taken of max steering angles on a universal that's not rotating, the universal joint which can do over 90 degrees along either axis when not rotating. At a certain point much less than that the yoke ears will hit the base of the opposing yoke when rotating, and to save undue stress and possible damage to the universal joint one should ensure their steering endpoints are set to an angle slightly less than that point of contact. Assuming you have Axial Universals check that then see if you still have clearance issues with the links on flipped wheels. If you have CVD/VVDs set endpoint slightly less than maxed out of course, but they're harder to oversteer when stationary so maxed out is pretty close to max rotating steering angle

Last edited by BikingViking; 02-01-2013 at 08:23 PM.
BikingViking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tires rubbing, wheel wideners? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tires rubbing bishballs Axial AX-10 Scorpion 12 02-04-2011 11:41 AM
wheel rubbing on front of hilux j4k3 Axial SCX-10 5 08-08-2010 12:05 PM