Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Help with servo please!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 09:53 PM   #1

Question Help with servo please!!!

Hey guys hoping someone can answer some of my noob ?'s on servo's. recently on my stock servo the pins that hold the gears got all goofed up and no longer work, as i am on a tight budget trying to keep my emaxx in running condition, and the purchase of a new slash4x4, i went ahead and made the mistake of buying a hobbyparts high torque servo for $20 after seeing a couple good reviews of guys running them in the wraith on the site. Well did not last a full pack before it quit on me Live and learn i guess!!! so today i bought what i think was a budget friendly, best bang for my buck servo, the towerhobby ts-170. All i could find out about this servo is that its a rebadged older hitec model without all the programing features, the spec's looked good titanium gears, 333oz/in @ 13sec. At least it looked decent to me! any who, i could not find any reviews on this servo, is anyone running it or have run it? And most importantly do i need a bec with it? am currently running the mamba max pro w/ a ballistic 17.5 motor on 3s. I really hope i did not just make another hobbypart mistake with a $90 servo this time I figured since they have a 1yr warrantee and its just a rebadged hitec it cant be to bad right? Any help on this matter would b real nice, thanks guys!
illest1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Help with servo please!!!

I think it would be better safe than sorry and get the bec. I'm a noob to and first thing I had to replace was servo. It sounds like you got a good one. I settled for a savor with 347oz of tq. I wanted more but wasn't patient. I installed a castle bec just so I don't have to worry about it anymore. Hope this helps
hooty481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Yeah I read it is this servo: Hitec HSR-5995TG Servo Specifications and Reviews

Oh mamba max pro has a switching BEC 5V to 7V...cool!! http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...a_max_pro.html

Last edited by ZippoMan; 02-08-2013 at 10:24 PM.
ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:21 PM   #4

thanks for the reply hooty, Do u know what could happen if i dont run a bec? u just dont get the full power of the servo right? it wont burn the servo or esc out right?
Old 02-08-2013, 10:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippoMan View Post
Yeah I read it is this servo: Hitec HSR-5995TG Servo Specifications and Reviews
yea but i dont think the ts-170 is h.v, right? man that would be to cool, expecting 333oz but getting more!!!

Oh mamba max pro has a switching BEC 5V to 7V...cool!! Castle Creations | Mamba Max Pro 1/10th Scale Power Systems
I heard some where that they actually have weak bec or something, I know guys r running bec with mmp, unless its for running lights an stuff

thanks for the help and links
Old 02-08-2013, 10:34 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I think I read some where that if you run the voltage to low it will burn up something but I can't remember what. Wish I was more help. I run the castle bec for $25. Easy to install and I haven't heard anything bad about them.
hooty481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:26 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

If you run a high-torque quality servo, you definitely want a BEC. The Castle is very nice, I have that, and run it at 6v. I like the fact that it's separate from everything else (I have it running off of a Deans splitter from the battery), and it works flawlessly.

Savox, Hitec, Futaba, take your pick, but I'd still go with one of the bigger name brands. Buy once, cry once
MetalNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:51 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Savox 1230.

Or hx 12k on a budget . Awesome 8 dollar servo. I'm running it with nothing but good things to say

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=23597

Last edited by evan03; 02-09-2013 at 02:55 AM.
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Savox servos suck. They don't turn when/where you want them to unless you are on the throttle. Their warranty sucks and doesn't cover stripped gears, which will happen. And all of the Savox servos I've had and have seen in action don't seem to have the amount of torque that they claim. Like MetalNut said. Buy once, cry once and get a servo you know you can count on. That would be the 7950, or if you want to do a bit of drilling you can get the 7980 for $135 right now. And with your BEC set at 7.4v it will have 611oz of torque. Can't beat that with anything.
crawler nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:15 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

yup with a high tq servo u want a bec it will keep the reciver from lossing power when u get into a bind when sterring.ive been runnin savox servos forquite some time an im more than happy with them i put the 0251 in my wraith an havent had any problems with sterrin where i want it to go it dont have as much tq as some of the higher price units but i dont use the wraith to crawl
tdevilman2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdevilman2009 View Post
yup with a high tq servo u want a bec it will keep the reciver from lossing power when u get into a bind when sterring.ive been runnin savox servos forquite some time an im more than happy with them i put the 0251 in my wraith an havent had any problems with sterrin where i want it to go it dont have as much tq as some of the higher price units but i dont use the wraith to crawl
Do not buy this servo for the wraith. At 222oz it is no where near what you need for a wraith.
crawler nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

We need someone with a lot of money to do a servo shoot off.

I fly savox and find my opion very difrent from many here.

I often wonder how many opions are based on hands on use or if those ipuons are another persons opion that has floated across 3 or 10 people then landed here
Old 02-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Crawler nut has lumped all savox servos together as one so he most likely has no ecsperince with them.

Or maybe he can give us more info on the savox model that sucks and details about they're customer service so we can get a better idea of why the suck.

Reread and looks like he may have had multiple savox servos. What models and why buy more then one when the suck
Old 02-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan03 View Post
Crawler nut has lumped all savox servos together as one so he most likely has no ecsperince with them.

Or maybe he can give us more info on the savox model that sucks and details about they're customer service so we can get a better idea of why the suck.

Reread and looks like he may have had multiple savox servos. What models and why buy more then one when the suck
This is one reason why people like hitech over savox

Another testimonial for Hitec's quality of service.
throttlejock27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Savox 1230.

Or hx 12k on a budget . Awesome 8 dollar servo. I'm running it with nothing but good things to say

HXT 10kg Servo (metal gear) 55g / 10kg / .16sec (USA Warehouse)
I don't see that thing lasting long
throttlejock27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Its lasted probly for 10 gallons flight time and now 2-4 hours drive time on my wraith. Pulled the servo of a plane that flew for a few seasons. I've got 7 or 8 if the hx12k maybe more.

I went as far as to waterproof test it.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #17

Quote:
We need someone with a lot of money to do a servo shoot off.

I fly savox and find my opion very difrent from many here.

I often wonder how many opions are based on hands on use or if those ipuons are another persons opion that has floated across 3 or 10 people then landed here
Hi

If you are looking at good comparisons for servos, you could check at Flying Giants: The Giant Scale Airplane Community. There are plenty of people on that site that are using Hitec, Savox, Futaba, JR and MKS servos !

Personally I have used Futaba, Hitec and Savox servos all with great success. IMHO Hitec provides the best customer service out of all of them but since I have not had any problems with my Savox servo I cannot comment on that aspect with them.

Currently I use have the Savox 1230 servo in my wraith, it has plenty of torque and is quick enough for crawling/bashing

To the OP as far as the BEC is concerned, get the Castle 10A; it is worth it for about $22 to protect your ESC. When I first tested my Savox servo I without the BEC I noticed a significant lag in the motor. Iam gusessing my servo was drawing too amps and no I have no probs since the BEC has been installed

Thank Scott
baddley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

this forumn definatly is a place to get a servo comparision. seems theres only a handfull of users running something difrent. the flying world is were some real world comparisons and opions are at.

curious what voltage you run the 1230 at. 4.8 or 6. its speced for 400 at 4.8 and 500 at 6.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #19

Quote:
this forumn definatly is a place to get a servo comparision. seems theres only a handfull of users running something difrent. the flying world is were some real world comparisons and opions are at.

curious what voltage you run the 1230 at. 4.8 or 6. its speced for 400 at 4.8 and 500 at 6.
Hi

Personally I do not have a Castle Link Program, so whatever the factory default for the BEC is set at is what my servo is running at. I know a couple of people with the program I just have gotten around to borrowing it from my and double checking to make sure it is at 6 Volts

Scott
baddley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

ummm im not sure its set at 6volts its either 4.8 or 5 from the factory i could be wrong but i think i had to adjust mine to 6 volts from the lower factory setting.

just did a search and the default setting is 5.1

Help with servo please!!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
C.I. - Servo Guard - Servo Clamp - Servo Mount - Annoucement Nova's Ark Crawler Innovations 10 05-07-2015 01:25 PM
***Crawler Innovations Servo Guard-Servo Clamp-Servo Mount GIVEAWAY*** Nova's Ark General Crawlers 228 07-12-2011 01:17 PM
***Crawler Innovations Servo Guard-Servo Clamp-Servo Mount GIVEAWAY*** Nova's Ark General Crawlers 266 04-01-2011 02:18 PM
Crawler Innovations Servo Guard - Servo Clamp - Servo Mount GIVEAWAY!!! Nova's Ark General Crawlers 219 10-18-2010 12:43 PM