Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: I think I killed my HH TorqueMaster BR-XL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Unhappy I think I killed my HH TorqueMaster BR-XL

Well, this isn't good. I have a basically new HH TorqueMaster BR-XL waterproofed (by HH) ESC, hooked up to the HH CrawkMaster Pro 540 motor.

I was out on my second outing with my wraith. About 20 minutes of sloooow crawling over stuff, a little bit of water, but nothing reaching the ESC or the motor. I stopped it to take a few pictures, kept going, stopped again to take a few more. Suddenly, the Wraith wouldn't reverse, only moved forward, and very jerky. Then it wouldn't move forward at all. I couldn't figure out what's wrong in the field, so I came home for diagnosis.

The ESC arms and "beeps" the motor as usual. I get a green light on forward, and a red light on reverse. But according to my volt-meter, I get absolutely no juice coming out of the motor leads. I get 0 volts forward, and -0.05 volts in reverse.

I hooked up a different motor to the ESC, same symptoms. I hooked up a battery directly to the CrawlMaster Pro and it spun up like crazy. My receiver and steering servo (powered via Castle BEC) work fine. So it has to be something with the ESC.

Any ideas? I'm going to try to get in touch with HH on Monday, but this is really depressing.

One thing I didn't get is the ESC temperature out in the field when it failed. However, it was cold out, and it's well ventilated. At home, though, even with nothing moving, it heated up pretty hot to the touch. Not sure if that's normal or not.

Edit: I just realized I should have posted this in the electronics forum, sorry!

Last edited by MetalNut; 02-09-2013 at 05:00 PM.
MetalNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: I think I killed my HH TorqueMaster BR-XL

Tried a fresh pack?
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Yes, I tried two different Lipo packs and even a regular NiMH pack
Old 02-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #4
j22
Rock Stacker

I have had two waterproofed br-xl's an cooked them both I think it's the waterproofing

I have a br-xl with out proofing an it's lasted for two years an going..

Just contact him on his site he'll help u out.....
j22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by j22 View Post
I have had two waterproofed br-xl's an cooked them both I think it's the waterproofing

I have a br-xl with out proofing an it's lasted for two years an going..

Just contact him on his site he'll help u out.....
Two, seriously? Then why is everyone recommending the waterproofed version?

I don't understand how I could have fried it. I was out there for 20 minutes, 5 of which was standing still and taking pictures, the other 15 being slow crawling. It would seem, in my novice opinion, that I was within operational limits. And it's about 45 degrees out today.

I'm actually wondering if mine was bad. I couldn't hook it up to the Castle Link unless I gave it external battery power and used a no-red-wire extension between the ESC and the Link. If I tried a direct hookup, the Castle Link board would just get hot and nothing else would happen. I also had some intermittent issues with the ESC just going into red-flashing-LED mode, which would usually get resolved by re-plugging the battery in. Who knows. I'll ping HH.

Last edited by MetalNut; 02-09-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Yeah I am thinking the waterproof coating could be the problem. On a total side note. I have a Kyosho Blizzard SR with a dual motor controller ESC called a Sabertooth. I used CorrosionX on it and I had some issues after using it for a few minutes. I just gave the big power caps a few taps and the power came back!! It was weird so maybe the waterproofing masks poor factory solders or something. The ESC works fine now and if it ever dies again I will just try tapping the caps. Very bizarre and sorry to sidetrack this thread.
ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalNut View Post
Well, this isn't good. I have a basically new HH TorqueMaster BR-XL waterproofed (by HH) ESC, hooked up to the HH CrawkMaster Pro 540 motor.

I was out on my second outing with my wraith. About 20 minutes of sloooow crawling over stuff, a little bit of water, but nothing reaching the ESC or the motor. I stopped it to take a few pictures, kept going, stopped again to take a few more. Suddenly, the Wraith wouldn't reverse, only moved forward, and very jerky. Then it wouldn't move forward at all. I couldn't figure out what's wrong in the field, so I came home for diagnosis.

The ESC arms and "beeps" the motor as usual. I get a green light on forward, and a red light on reverse. But according to my volt-meter, I get absolutely no juice coming out of the motor leads. I get 0 volts forward, and -0.05 volts in reverse.

I hooked up a different motor to the ESC, same symptoms. I hooked up a battery directly to the CrawlMaster Pro and it spun up like crazy. My receiver and steering servo (powered via Castle BEC) work fine. So it has to be something with the ESC.

Any ideas? I'm going to try to get in touch with HH on Monday, but this is really depressing.

One thing I didn't get is the ESC temperature out in the field when it failed. However, it was cold out, and it's well ventilated. At home, though, even with nothing moving, it heated up pretty hot to the touch. Not sure if that's normal or not.

Edit: I just realized I should have posted this in the electronics forum, sorry!
Since you are powering the receiver with the CC BEC, have you disconnected the red lead on the BR-XL so it doesn't connect to the receiver?

The BR-XL will fry if you have the red lead from the ESC and the CCBEC both connected to the receiver.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

It's hard for me to believe that a reputable company such as HH would sell an ESC that couldn't handle less than 2 hours of total runtime. I'm hoping it's a manufacturing defect.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7zpj View Post
Since you are powering the receiver with the CC BEC, have you disconnected the red lead on the BR-XL so it doesn't connect to the receiver?

The BR-XL will fry if you have the red lead from the ESC and the CCBEC both connected to the receiver.
Yes, the BEC is connected to a servo extension with the red wire cut, which is then connected to the receiver.

Last weekend, I had the Wraith out for about an hour and a half with no problems.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Yes, the BEC is connected to a servo extension with the red wire cut, which is then connected to the receiver.

Last weekend, I had the Wraith out for about an hour and a half with no problems.
Double check that the throttle trim is still in center. If not, contact HH on Monday. Sometimes new electronics do just up and die.

I have had 2 of the waterproof BR-XL's now for over a year with no issues. Must have run at least 50 to 60 packs on each.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7zpj View Post
Double check that the throttle trim is still in center. If not, contact HH on Monday. Sometimes new electronics do just up and die.

I have had 2 of the waterproof BR-XL's now for over a year with no issues. Must have run at least 50 to 60 packs on each.
Wouldn't the ESC not arm if the throttle trim was the issue? It beeps the motor in the same pattern is has when it worked, and it arms since I get the green/red forward/reverse lights.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:22 PM   #12
RCC Addict

I got the trim off just a little and the ESC still armed. It would go for a little bit and then just stop and shake. Putting the trim back into the center fixed it.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I just double-checked, throttle trim is at 0
Old 02-09-2013, 07:34 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Did you mess with the settings prior to using the BRXL? If you did, try upgrade the firmware.
Erbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erbing View Post
Did you mess with the settings prior to using the BRXL? If you did, try upgrade the firmware.
I'm not sure I follow. I got the ESC less than a month ago. I had trouble connecting it to the Castle Link, but I only did so to verify the settings. I didn't change any. I also changed nothing since last weekend, when it ran fine. And it ran fine for 20 minutes today, prior to the failure.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Did you have a read of the manual for BR-XL? Just for something to do. http://holmeshobbies.com/Common%20fi...ion%201.08.pdf
ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippoMan View Post
Did you have a read of the manual for BR-XL? Just for something to do. http://holmeshobbies.com/Common%20fi...ion%201.08.pdf
There isn't much to the manual. I also have a number of electrical engineering classes under my belt, so I already tried all the obvious things
Old 02-09-2013, 09:49 PM   #18
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
It's hard for me to believe that a reputable company such as HH would sell an ESC that couldn't handle less than 2 hours of total runtime. I'm hoping it's a manufacturing defect.
I think you just got a dud.
I haven't heard much negative stuff about the br-xl and I've run 2 on 6s, underwater, in mud, tug o wars and snow... you name it, for over a year with no problems.

I think there's a 90 day warranty on the wp versions.

Last edited by johnnyh66; 02-10-2013 at 11:14 AM.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:53 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyh66 View Post
I think you just got a dude.
I haven't heard much negative stuff about the br-xl and I've run 2 on 6s, underwater, in mud, tug o wars and snow... you name it, for over a year with no problems.

I think there's a 90 day warranty on the wp versions.
See, this is what I want to hear I've been SO gentle with it, that I can't imagine any failure is my fault. Either way, I'll get in touch with HH Monday, so keep your fingers crossed.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #20
MODERATOR™

I've plugged brand new ESCs (plural) in and they've gone poof in the first foot. FET pops and smokes. It happens. I've also ran various brand controllers for MANY battery packs then all of a sudden, poof. Electronics do that. Your EE class text books should have a chapter about that.

I used a prototype BR-XL for years, then one day it met it's death in a sweet smoke show. I've used many Tekin and a few Novak controllers for years, some live on some die.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote

I think I killed my HH TorqueMaster BR-XL - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
somebody killed bigfoot..... ScaleReady Chit Chat 11 08-30-2012 10:34 AM
You killed the FJ40 for this?! microgoat 1.9 Scale Rigs 9 02-29-2012 07:21 PM
killed 3 servos....now what? GSRswapandslow Electronics 19 05-12-2009 08:44 PM
I think I killed my Goat... fatwoul Electronics 15 09-16-2008 08:47 AM
Help!Help! I think I killed it SouthernHighLife4x4 General Crawlers 11 06-04-2006 09:48 PM